Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Lighted Rear Applique Spécial Effects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before production of the new billet aluminum rear appliqué begins I wanted to capture video of the major lighting effects possible with the current appliqué. The neopixel electronics (designed and produced by Danal Estes) are mounted to the back side of Tesla's plastic chrome piece. The TESLA letters are water-jet cut out of the plastic, 3D printed letters inserted into the openings, and a long PCB with neopixels for each letter installed.

The new appliqué (based on Tesla's version now delivered on all new cars) is milled out of solid aluminum and the mounting and letter cut-outs are milled at the same time. It will be much higher quality that Tesla's plastic piece and eliminate altogether the supply problems we had obtaining appliqués from Tesla and having the letters water-jet cut out out of the piece. Also, the TESLA letters will match those on Tesla's new version (flat on the top and greater protrusion).

All of the effects shown are controlled by an Appliqué Master Control Module, a bluetooth iPhone/Android app developed by HankLloydRight.

Development of this mod is truly a team effort by Tesla owners.

Please note that the intensity of the letter colors in the video is far lower than the eye sees. The colors are intensely bright at night and clearly visible in daylight.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: rjdoc74
I assume there's a more detailed thread with links and descriptions of installation, etc?

Also interesting tint film on the rear window. Whats the deal there?

There are a number of threads on the lighted appliqué. This is the longest and most thorough.

Install instructions are in Google Docs. These will be slightly revised when the billet aluminum version is available but the wiring, which is the most time consuming part of the job, will stay the same with the new version.

The tint is standard 3M. I think the lighting conditions (fog) when the video was shot make it look a little odd.

Last edited: