Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lighted Tesla T for nosecone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have to make a decision about whether we use 3d printing or injection molding to make the T and arch. I'm inclined to do the latter although it will require a sizable initial capital investment. But with volume it should result in a lower price. Problem is making the injection mold will add more time to the project. I'll be making the key decisions about all of this next week and will have a better idea about production and delivery then.
Would deposits from those on the waiting list help defray the start-up costs? Honestly, if the price were any lower than the range you've already been floating, I'd be happy to just pre-order at full price if it would kickstart the project.

Would deposits from those on the waiting list help defray the start-up costs? Honestly, if the price were any lower than the range you've already been floating, I'd be happy to just pre-order at full price if it would kickstart the project.

A nice offer but it's not necessary and won't affect my decision. I think the most convenient and reliable way to go is to have Oznium do it all. My experience with them has been outstanding and they are concerned most of all about quality.

Just made the final production arrangements with Oznium. We're going to make these via an injection mold instead of 3D printing. That will lower the cost to $165.00 plus about $10.00 for shipping and handling. The LED PCB will be waterproofed and sealed within the T and arch. For easier installation each will come with custom 3M double faced tape on both sides. The kit will be delivered completely assembled, making installation very easy. The T and arch will be guaranteed for the life of the car with a no-questions-asked return policy.

Production will begin at the end of next week. Creating the injection mold will take some time, and Oznium anticipates delivery in 2 - 2 1/2 months.

I'm going to start working on complete installation instructions. But this will be quite easy. All that will be required is removal of the nose cone, drilling of two small holes in the nose cone in the areas behind the T and arch so the wires can be run through, removal of the chrome T and arch with dental floss, then attaching the lighted T and arch and the original Tesla pieces to the nose cone with the 3M tape (just pressing them on will do the trick) and powering the device through a tap to a fuse or the headlight/running light power (simple wiring connections) For those who want special effects, the Oznium 12 volt LED dimmer and strobe remote switch, which syncs with HomeLink, can be ordered along with the kit at a discount and easily wired into the system.

We have about 60 on the waiting list now. The first production run will be for everyone on that list, no matter how high it goes (manufacturing capacity is not limited).

Last edited:
I just spend about an hour reading your thread from beginning to end. Awesome work. Nice to see the progress/evolution.
Nice mod and I will certainly sign up for it.

Might have some commercial/marketing doubts by your choice to go for mould injection. It will only be a good investment if you sell a lot. But it will reduce the exclusivity...

Good luck with the projects on the rear.

I just spend about an hour reading your thread from beginning to end. Awesome work. Nice to see the progress/evolution.
Nice mod and I will certainly sign up for it.

Might have some commercial/marketing doubts by your choice to go for mould injection. It will only be a good investment if you sell a lot. But it will reduce the exclusivity...

Good luck with the projects on the rear.

The injection mold is really for quality, durability, and production speed once we get started. There's no idea what kind of demand there will be long term but I may decide to limit production at some point. I don't want this to become commonplace on Model S's.

I'm using the 3D firm for scanning and prototyping. In fact I'll have the first prototype T's for the rear T on Tuesday and work will begin on that.

Even better. Will probably buy you dinner or somethin' though. :)

That's a deal!.

Trying to figure out now where I will do these. As I travel a lot on business and don't need my own car to run an installation workshop, it could be just about anywhere where I travel frequently, including China:)

So I think I'll do the workshops where sales are concentrated. I'm just guessing now but likely northern and southern CA, the DC area, Raleigh NC or thereabouts, Boston, Westchester, NY (where I used to live), south FL. Once the T sales begin in March or so I'll track locations and decide accordingly. This will be a lot of fun for me as I'll meet many other owners and it will make my travel much more interesting. Of course, many owners will be able to do this without help so demand for this kind of thing will also be a factor.

That's a deal!.

So I think I'll do the workshops where sales are concentrated. I'm just guessing now but likely northern and southern CA, the DC area, Raleigh NC or thereabouts, Boston, Westchester, NY (where I used to live), south FL. Once the T sales begin in March or so I'll track locations and decide accordingly. This will be a lot of fun for me as I'll meet many other owners and it will make my travel much more interesting. Of course, many owners will be able to do this without help so demand for this kind of thing will also be a factor.

We look forward to having you down here in Raleigh. I'll second that dinner offer!

I'll post a workshop schedule as soon as all is ready, likely in March. The first will be here in the Baltimore/DC area, then probably Westchester and Palo Alto. After that not sure.

I'll be installing the prototype rear lighted T in a few weeks. I'm planning to light this one red and set it up so it's in synch with the brake lights: on when they're on and brighter when the brakes are applied. Any other thoughts or suggestions?