TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lighted Tesla "T" on Model S Nose Cone :) Installed!

Discussion in 'Video' started by islandbayy, Feb 5, 2014.

1. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

#1 islandbayy, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Cheers To Artsci for this awesome Product! More videos to come + High Res photo's!

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#2 yobigd20, Feb 5, 2014
    looks great! interesting that you say it originally it was too bright and that you have it set on "low". I have my lighted T but am waiting for a bit warmer weather plus I am going to carbon fiber my nose cone at the same time and I still need to order some parts. Regarding the 'low' setting, did you use a dimmer? (sorry I haven't had time to read through all the instructions yet and not sure if there was a recommendation for dimmers or something).

3. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Hmm, we have to do something about the reflection off the chrome. It looks like a smiley face.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Well done! Mine is still sitting in a box waiting for time and better weather to install it.

Can you give us a summary of the process? What's your experience level with this sort of modification? How long did it take? What method did you use (Oznium controller or whatever)? Any tips, any difficulties you encountered and how you got around them?

I'm excited to get mine done, I think it will be a very cool accent setting mine apart from the other 2 black Model S's in the area.

5. GDH

GDH Banned

Maybe next time make a video without your headlights on.

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

thanks for pointing that out. when I wrap my nose cone with 3M Carbon Fiber DiNoc, I am going to wrap this middle piece of chrome too. Hopefully that gets rid of or at least reduces that reflection.

7. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

My father found a really nice toggle switch at Goodwill while we were picking. Had 2 settings, one was just on, the other was on with a resistor in the mix. I have no idea what the resister's values are. But on ON, this thing is bright, and would white out the details of the "T". That would be good for day time, but at night or dusk to dawn, it was wayyyyyyyyy tooo brightttt. Cant capture the brightness on the camera too well as the auto dimming etc... of our nice modern cameras.

All I have to do is pop the corner of the nose cone off and hit the toggle. When it warms up a bit I will move the switch to the inside of the frunk, that is, if I dont install the remote control for it :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the reflection is distracting. What might be nice, is to make a led strip for under that chrome piece, Kinda Tron style look.

- - - Updated - - -

Coming tonight. Only had about 53 seconds to do that video as I had 2 tired and crabby midgets in the car :)

8. GDH

GDH Banned

Sweet

9. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

I do not have the Oznium controller, at least not yet. I have it wired into a toggle switch. I do not have the value of the resistor that is in the switch, The resistor was actually a surprise. Didn't know the switch even had it until I connected the "T" up to it.

If I wasn't talking so much in my video (I have a basic video on my process, really boring, and not professional, as I did not care, just wanted to get the thing installed :) ) installation time for my method without the Oznium controller would have been 15 minutes or less.

Biggest difficulty was getting the old adhesive from the T off.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

15 minutes! Wow, that's awesome. OK, helps me plan a bit.
    Still not sure what method I want to use and would prefer to mess with the wiring just once.

11. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The v reflection is substantially reduced if the chrome strip under it is made black, with tape, paint, etc.

_DSC4178.JPG

12. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

#12 islandbayy, Feb 18, 2014