Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightning GT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they talk to Telsco soon. You can't say how great it woill be to partner with them forever.

By the way if they sell 10,000 of them ofver the next ten years will that be worth it for someone to build quick 1,000 quick charge stations all over? These numbers don't seem to work on a small scale.

I don't want to sound like a naysayer, but this is underwhelming. It's obviously going pretty darn slow. Has anyone seen a video of any vehicle using Flightlink's Hi-Pa Drive going at anything approaching highway speeds?

I have the same feeling too. I haven't seen any video of a Hi-PA Drive car going any speed but slow.

The fastest I've seen them go are in this video, and even so you notice them struggling quite badly on a mild slope.

[youtube]6wwE2LYLKzs[/youtube]

Wish them luck but I wish to really see a lot more especially from a performance car.

I don't want to sound like a naysayer, but this is underwhelming. It's obviously going pretty darn slow.

And I'm actually very suspicious of the "no sound because it was windy" excuse.

So if it was an ICE and they muted the sound to cover it then why so slow? Not developed fully yet? Then why release video of a slow car?

Too weird.

Nice looking though.

Not developed fully yet?

My suspicion is that the control firmware for synchronizing those four independent motors isn't working well (i.e., safely) yet at higher speeds. I recall seeing hints of this in a couple of articles I read. Paraphrasing one of the articles I read that mentioned this: "Writing the control software to have 4 motors working safely together is a tricky business. Thankfully, we're leaving that task to PML Flightlink to get ironed out." With PML Flightlink in receivership, one wonders what state that control software is in...

REAL BUSINESS - Clive Sutton puts the Geneva Motor Show through its paces

The key new products or concepts were all along the alternative energy theme. It was good to see the Lightning sports car on display. We were lucky enough to have this prototype on show in our showrooms after the London motor show and we found that many customers believed it to be a production-ready Aston. Except it is yet to be built. Hopefully they will shortly secure the funding to take it to production – having already sold three of them!

I thought it would be interesting to dredge up our old "friend" at this juncture. Who was so convinced a year ago that Tesla was vaporware and the Lightning GT was IT. Here's a recent item on the GT - DUE OUT early 2010. Which is the vaporware???

I still stand by my opinion. Sad to see Tesla making headlines only and carrying a big mouth - since many years - Lightning is tight lipped, reasonable, seems serious and professional [highlight]AND[/highlight] above all seems to deliver.

In high quality

We shall find out more on 23.July 2008

700hp Lightning GT EV on track for 2010 launch - MotorAuthority - Car news, reviews, spy shots

Without saying too much, the economy and PML situation haven't helped, but they are talking to some potential investors. In the meantime they are keeping themselves busy by developing the key tech for the car further.

The car 'in the flesh' is stunning, it's in a different market segment to Tesla's models (think Daniel's comments) and I really hope they get it to production.