Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightning strike nearby, power outage and 3 error messages while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

22RWD

Jun 20, 2022
FL
2022 RWD LFP with around 700 miles.

Was charging on 120V at around 60% when lightning struck literally out of no where - completely sunny outside and no rain in sight. Typical FL summertime thunderstorm cells. It was very nearby, probably a couple hundred yards at most.

Power went out for a split second, short enough that the microwave and refrigerator clock retained their time, but enough for all other appliances to shut down momentarily.

Immediately pulled up my Tesla app and charging was halted, as expected. Ran down to the garage and it within seconds initiated charging on its own and got back up to 117v.

Got the following notification on my phone: “
Charging interrupted at 4:08 pm with battery at
166 mi. If unexpected, check Controls > Service
> Notifications on vehicle touchscreen for more
information.”

Stopped charging and unplugged car and saw the 3 errors on the screen:

I4:08 pm | UMC a012
Charging equipment communication error
Try again or try different equipment
4:08 pm | CP a139
Charging equipment reports error
Check equipment for error code or message
4:08 pm | CP a046
Charging equipment communication lost
Check power source and charging equipment

Now I’m worried that something could have been damaged on the car or UMC. Everything seems fine, but wondering if there’s anything I should be concerned about. Not sure if it was a power surge or just a very brief outage. I wonder if I’d get these same error codes by unplugging from the wall outlet without stopping the charge? I’m not going to try it, don’t worry.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks