TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Lightning strike while charging a Tesla?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Naonak, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Naonak

Naonak Member

So... I'm wondering what happens to the Tesla if your house happens to get struck by lightning whilest the car is plugged in and/or charging? Has this happened yet? If so, what was the result?

If not, what is the likely outcome? Is there a possibility of the pack exploding? Maybe not catastrophically (but maybe?), but could you end up with a mess in the garage that's going to be super hard to clean up properly? I've had a 12v battery explode in a car previously, and it was all kinds of mess in the engine compartment and all over my garage. I can only imagine the mess a 90Kw pack would make, not to mention the damage that would be possible with that much energy and density.

2. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

Fuses and breakers should protect you.

3. Spacela

Spacela Member

• Informative x 1
  4. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Member

Gee, I haven't heard of such a thing since ...Saturday.
    Model S Not Charging after Storm.

5. AvengerBB

AvengerBB Member

Yes, the Tesla gets sent to 1985. Or was that a DeLorean?

• Like x 1
  6. Pando

Pando Member

Gotta hit 88 MPH first. Hard to do that while charging.

Then again if you are hovering you might get sent to 1885 instead...

7. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

I would just be excited when we can get 1.21 gigawatts from a SuperCharger.

Full charge in 5 minutes :).

8. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

We had power problems in our area after a recent power surge. This caused Tesla cars in a several mile area to get frequent charging interruptions.

While Tesla assured me that their onboard hardware should protect the car from power surges, our 4 year old S P85 was damaged - the secondary charger (we have a dual charger configuration) was damaged, limiting the car to only 40A of charging (once the electric company fixed their problems). Tesla replaced the secondary charger under our extended warranty, which required paying the extended warranty deductible.

We have surge protectors on the other two electric panels in our house for the rest of the house - but no surge protector on the panel that will be used for EV charging (we should be adding our second Tesla soon - maybe today) - something we may get corrected to protect both cars from future power surges.