Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightning vs CyberTruck feature spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am keeping a spreadsheet comparing my Lightning Lariat to what we know about the Cybertruck. I purchased the Lightning fully intending to replace it with the CT once available but Ford did a damn good job on their first offering so I'm not so sure anymore. Hence the spreadsheet. I added weights based on what is important (to me) and scores based on my own judgement. Would love some feedback on any key features I am missing or any numbers I may have gotten wrong. I only tally the scores that have entries for both vehicles to keep it fair-ish. Also, I am certain there are already a few of these out there so any links to similar content would also be appreciated.

LIghtning vs Cybertruck

1682733834132.png

Well…… here is something interesting

Interesting. The loss of the exoskeleton, in my mind, may be a good thing. The main thing I liked about the body was no paint, hardened SS. Whatever happens, I can pull out my TIG, add some back gas, weld, grind, wire brush and be good as new. I was nervous about the exoskeleton approach for towing heavy loads with the associated repeated percussive impacts on the hitch. Having the tow hitch on a solid steel frame has worked for 100 years and I couldn't think of a good way to attach it to an exoskeleton in a way that would hold up for 30 years.

Interesting. The loss of the exoskeleton, in my mind, may be a good thing. The main thing I liked about the body was no paint, hardened SS. Whatever happens, I can pull out my TIG, add some back gas, weld, grind, wire brush and be good as new. I was nervous about the exoskeleton approach for towing heavy loads with the associated repeated percussive impacts on the hitch. Having the tow hitch on a solid steel frame has worked for 100 years and I couldn't think of a good way to attach it to an exoskeleton in a way that would hold up for 30 years.

Sure but the CT is not in the Lightning category. Speculation about interior size/Capacity with its narrow bed and now CUV platform make it more of a wide body Santa Fe or Ridgeline, which isn’t a bad thing. I thought most CT buyers would be in for a surprise as this would be their first “truck” but with these latest developments, it’s really a wide body lifted Model Y so it will be popular.

I guess this is the reason we haven’t seen anything about towing or even pictures of the CT towing.

Reactions: TessP100D
I agree with everything you said and probably follow you by the end of the year. I do want to see exactly what will be standard and an option on a CT to compare. It is hard to compare now as Tesla still hasn’t finished deciding everything but not too early to start setting things up. I’m convinced that 2022 Lightning prices will drop once the CT details are released. That’s why I think my purchase will be toward the end of the year. I also really want that heated steering wheel so 2023’s are out.

I do thing Ford did a great job on their first truck. How do you like it? Have you installed the wall charger? How long does it take to charge to say 80% on the mobile charger? Are you on Lightning Owners forum?

I agree with everything you said and probably follow you by the end of the year. I do want to see exactly what will be standard and an option on a CT to compare. It is hard to compare now as Tesla still hasn’t finished deciding everything but not too early to start setting things up. I’m convinced that 2022 Lightning prices will drop once the CT details are released. That’s why I think my purchase will be toward the end of the year. I also really want that heated steering wheel so 2023’s are out.

I do thing Ford did a great job on their first truck. How do you like it? Have you installed the wall charger? How long does it take to charge to say 80% on the mobile charger? Are you on Lightning Owners forum?
I am on the Ford Lightning Owners forum. I love the Lighting. Although the wall charger came with the Lariat, I have not installed it - still unopened box. Plan is to sell it with the truck. I already have two Tesla chargers that share a single 60A circuit so it was easier to just get a Tesla to J1772 adapter (esp. since I planned to trade for CT later). Works great - I can still charge the truck while one of the Tesla's is on the other. Have not really characterized the charge times since the truck is just a weekend warrior and I still mostly use the M3 for daily commute.

I do not see Ford dropping prices even when the CT comes out. The has to compete with a lot of trucks on the market including ICE. Ford has no problem selling all their trucks especially to fleet. Which is why I find it strange that people actually think the CT will “dominate” the truck market.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I had been looking to replace my aging Land Rover with a Cybertruck but am now considering a Rivian R1S.
It would be interesting to put this into the spreadsheet to see how it compares.
My daughter bought a Rivian R1S six months ago and she loves it.
Added some info about Rivian R1T and R1S to the spreadsheet:

Last edited:
I do not see Ford dropping prices even when the CT comes out. The has to compete with a lot of trucks on the market including ICE. Ford has no problem selling all their trucks especially to fleet. Which is why I find it strange that people actually think the CT will “dominate” the truck market.
No Ford will not and doesn’t need to drop prices. The used market will drop. That’s my plan anyway. Going to be hard to sell a used Lightning for $80-$90k if the CT comes in anywhere south of $100k

No Ford will not and doesn’t need to drop prices. The used market will drop. That’s my plan anyway. Going to be hard to sell a used Lightning for $80-$90k if the CT comes in anywhere south of $100k

It’s hard to sell any used EV. Only ICE Performance vehicles can fetch that kind of money used.

Rivian was great in the resell market for a while as was Tesla. Now they are sitting.

I had been looking to replace my aging Land Rover with a Cybertruck but am now considering a Rivian R1S.
It would be interesting to put this into the spreadsheet to see how it compares.
My daughter bought a Rivian R1S six months ago and she loves it.
Added some info about Rivian R1T and R1S to the spreadsheet:
Thanks. I added your data for the R1T to my spreadsheet as well as some additional numbers I found (turning radius, onboard power). Didn't know how to score the Driver Assist since I don't have personal experience with driver+ so I left it blank so it not contributing to the tally (The pink N means any missing data is excluded for ALL models). If I just compare to LIghtning (since CT is missing lots of data), LIghtning wins with my weights.
1682952405753.png

Attachments

• 1682952075463.png
    1682952075463.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 359
A valiant effort but as @FLRifleman said, comparing a real truck toa list of Elon's lies (yes the man is a pathological liar) is not something you should base a buying decision on. I do expect cost and performance (0-60) to be much better on the CT than F-150, but everything else will be at par worse.

Specifically, I think your high scores for armored glass and SS exoskeleton are optimistic. It is already hard to find body shops that work on Teslas. The ones that can handle SS will be even smaller. The Lightning is built like other F-150's so many body shops can work on it. But the SS should also gain points for not having paint to chip off.

I have my doubts about the glass really being armored. But we won't know until Tesla either lists it as a production feature or someone is brave enough to shoot at their brand new truck....

We also don't know how the towing and payload numbers will shake out now that they have changed the design.

I also think that Ford will get a better handle on costs on the Gen 2 (2025 model year) version as they are bringing battery production in-house. I think battery costs have been a huge cost driver for them and why the current Lightning costs keep going up and up.

My Lightning reservation has come up to order but I'm not planning to order one. I think by this time nest year we'll have the details on both the CT and Gen 2 Lightning. I will make the call between them then. My old diesel Grand Cherokee will have to soldier on as a farm vehicle until then....

As I reviewed this, I realized that warranty should probably be weight 15 if not 20. Originally I had 10 as max but some things are much more important so no real reason to limit it to 10. If I set the warranty to weight 20, the R1T scores a lot closer to the F150.