Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightning vs CyberTruck feature spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am keeping a spreadsheet comparing my Lightning Lariat to what we know about the Cybertruck. I purchased the Lightning fully intending to replace it with the CT once available but Ford did a damn good job on their first offering so I'm not so sure anymore. Hence the spreadsheet. I added weights based on what is important (to me) and scores based on my own judgement. Would love some feedback on any key features I am missing or any numbers I may have gotten wrong. I only tally the scores that have entries for both vehicles to keep it fair-ish. Also, I am certain there are already a few of these out there so any links to similar content would also be appreciated.

LIghtning vs Cybertruck

1682733834132.png

HE ISNT WRONG...i mean its true will any truck that i have neighbors with pickups that never see dirt in the bed...they are always new looking and they never use it to haul stuff..lol...cybetruck will be the same but likely worse so he is kinda right

It is quite all right for CT to be something different than the conventional truck. Won't be the first Time Tesla invented a new class of vehicle (i.e. luxury class --> technology class). I see it as trying to be everything for family guy/weekend warrior. If it really turns out to be more durable than the existing truck paradigm it will slowly penetrate that market. But it won't be fast and Ford will have time to respond if it turns out to be a real threat.

It is quite all right for CT to be something different than the conventional truck. Won't be the first Time Tesla invented a new class of vehicle (i.e. luxury class --> technology class). I see it as trying to be everything for family guy/weekend warrior. If it really turns out to be more durable than the existing truck paradigm it will slowly penetrate that market. But it won't be fast and Ford will have time to respond if it turns out to be a real threat.
there is no "luxury class" of vehicles... it's luxury sedan/ SUV etc. a sub-class of sedan/ SUV

what is "technology class" ? Do Model Y and X fall both into that class despite being vastly different vehicles in size and performance?

saying that the Cybertruck will be a new class of vehicle is like saying the Ford Maverick is a new class of vehicle or the Rivian is one ...

Tesla fanboys are vastly overestimating how the majority of truck buyers see the market, their needs and what they look for when getting a truck. For all what it's worth - aside from drivetrain/battery and UI - the Model 3 and Model Y are a sedan/ compact SUV of fairly conventional dimensions and exterior design. if they made the 3 or Y look anything like the Cybertruck ... i doubt it would sell.

also - with most truck buyers *not* living in metropolitan areas... the Service Center network might become an issue. can't tell someone from Waco / TX that he has to drive well over an hour to the SC and there is "uber credit only" for the duration of his repair...

saying that the Cybertruck will be a new class of vehicle is like saying the Ford Maverick is a new class of vehicle or the Rivian is one ...
I disagree. If they deliver on the promise, it will be a truck that out-performs existing trucks in towing and payload yet is cost efficient as a commute vehicle, can kneel to take grandma to her appointments, vault to protect your daughters girl scout cookies, ramps and air suspension for taking your toys offroad without compromising highway mileage, tight turning radius for navigating narrow streets and parking lots, SS shell so you don't even care if someone door dings you or you have to push through some ocotillo. Previous trucks attempting to do it all had to compromise on truck duty. CT has the potential to do it all and do it better. For that I don't care what it looks like. Or what class you call it for that matter. I only brought that up because a lot of knuckle-draggers are saying "CT isn't a truck" to which I say "so what? It's better than your truck no matter what you call it" (but not to their face since most of them could kick my ass ;-)

I agree everyone is trying to predict specs, std equiptment, etc. I think all will be revealed in a couple more months. THEN you'll be able to predict reactions, sales etc. Right now all we have is preproduction views. Nothing about the important things truck buyers want e.g. range, range towing, pricing. I'm so tired of hearing predictions on how bad or good the CT will be.

How do you like your Lightning? Took our 2022 lariat on it's first long tow trip today. I can see why the neg reaction from traditional truck guys. Ford's range predictions are extremely conservative and misleading (read flat out wrong). Definitely not Tesla level software engineering. But I love it.

Reactions: TessP100D
I agree everyone is trying to predict specs, std equiptment, etc. I think all will be revealed in a couple more months. THEN you'll be able to predict reactions, sales etc. Right now all we have is preproduction views. Nothing about the important things truck buyers want e.g. range, range towing, pricing. I'm so tired of hearing predictions on how bad or good the CT will be.

How do you like your Lightning? Took our 2022 lariat on it's first long tow trip today. I can see why the neg reaction from traditional truck guys. Ford's range predictions are extremely conservative and misleading (read flat out wrong). Definitely not Tesla level software engineering. But I love it.
I love the lightning but, to be fair, it replaced at 1996 K2500 Chevy Suburban with broken AC, 10mpg hwy, smelled like raw gas (I rebuilt the injector manifold twice but still smell it), various disinitegrated plastic components, no navigation/info center/bluetooth connection - just CDs or radio. The list goes on, but the point is the bar was pretty low. I like the frunk, LOVE the cooled seats (CT better have this - that could be a deal-breaker for me), love the camera system and the ease of use. Don't care for the handling - giving it some slack since it *is* a truck but there is a lot of gear backlash and torque steer which I find strange in an EV. I guess this is the result of Ford crowbaring in a electric drive train on their existing platform. My expectation is CT will perform a lot better here since they are coming from the opposite angle. Not thrilled with the fit and finish but don't expect any better from Tesla. For example, every time you fold up the back seat, it catches on the seatbelt retractor cover and pops it off. One of the cargo hooks in the frunk was installed upside down and cross threaded. Was able to chase the threads with a die and get it back in properly but when you see stuff like that it makes you wonder about all the stuff you can't see. I love bluecruise but that has been talked about already ad nauseam in this thread. Love the work lighting and the 9.8kW onboard power. Wish it had ramps, though. My welder is on wheels but still have to use an engine hoist to get it into the bed. Love not having to also load up a generator. One curious thing I notice recently. My burb rides stiff unless you have 500lbs or more in the bed - then it is smooth. The Lighting is the opposite. WONDERFUL ride until you put about 800lbs in the bed then it feels like you are on the stops. I'm not (I checked). Just curious. Honestly, If I had to pick one or the other, I would rather the unloaded ride be favored as it is in the Ford. I wonder if the variable air suspension in the CT will make both great...

Reactions: Cal1 and scottf200
Don't care for the handling - giving it some slack since it *is* a truck but there is a lot of gear backlash and torque steer which I find strange in an EV. I guess this is the result of Ford crowbaring in a electric drive train on their existing platform.
Realize this was a design choice to balance out for a wider audience. Re: crowbaring -- they made various unique changes like below

Title: Ford’s Electric Truck Is First F-150 With Independent Rear Suspension

Reactions: texas_star_TM3