Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightning vs CyberTruck feature spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am keeping a spreadsheet comparing my Lightning Lariat to what we know about the Cybertruck. I purchased the Lightning fully intending to replace it with the CT once available but Ford did a damn good job on their first offering so I'm not so sure anymore. Hence the spreadsheet. I added weights based on what is important (to me) and scores based on my own judgement. Would love some feedback on any key features I am missing or any numbers I may have gotten wrong. I only tally the scores that have entries for both vehicles to keep it fair-ish. Also, I am certain there are already a few of these out there so any links to similar content would also be appreciated.

LIghtning vs Cybertruck

1682733834132.png

My F150 Lightning works flawlessly. This is what opened my eyes up to how far behind Tesla was. Sure FSDb will beat them once it works but until then they have nothing that competes.
That's not even a comparison. Limited freeway driving that doesn't yet do lane changes vs. a car that does everything. Currently it's comparable to AP and with 1.2 it will be closer to EAP, but not attempting to do what FSD Beta does today.

I've used Blue Cruise and it's fine for what it does, but it's lane assist...it doesn't even do obstacle avoidance and disengages on large curves.

Maybe for you lack of nag (even though it's 2 min apart now) is the big factor, but it doesn't have half the capabilities.

Go read lightning and Mache Forums or watch YT comparisons. I think your desire for lack of nag clouds your judgement. Hands free is fine if that's your absolute goal, but it's far behind Tesla in every other way. It's less capable and Ford isn't promising it will ever be what FSD B is today or the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arctic_White
It would be great to have the ability to have 'centering' options when on AP.

Ex. Hugging near the left or right line, instead of being just dead centered.

All those passing semi moments, when I choose to disengage AP due to the semis riding the line.

I know VW has this feature. Not sure about blue cruise. Either way Tesla come on...next update please.

That's not even a comparison. Limited freeway driving that doesn't yet do lane changes vs. a car that does everything. Currently it's comparable to AP and with 1.2 it will be closer to EAP, but not attempting to do what FSD Beta does today.

I've used Blue Cruise and it's fine for what it does, but it's lane assist...it doesn't even do obstacle avoidance and disengages on large curves.

Maybe for you lack of nag (even though it's 2 min apart now) is the big factor, but it doesn't have half the capabilities.

Go read lightning and Mache Forums or watch YT comparisons. I think your desire for lack of nag clouds your judgement. Hands free is fine if that's your absolute goal, but it's far behind Tesla in every other way. It's less capable and Ford isn't promising it will ever be what FSD B is today or the future.
Yes. Blue Cruise is not what Tesla is promising FSD will be some day. However, Blue Cruise does what it does very well and I feel comfortable using it. It just works. I acknowledge that Tesla is way ahead of the pack on Full Self Driving development - no argument. However what they have available right now, as amazing as it is, doesn't work. Constantly having to fight the car to avoid accidents or piss off other drivers is not what I am looking for in a Drivers Assist feature. I am fine testing FSDb on occasion to help them develop it because I am really excited about the prospect but I don't want to always be in hyper-alert beta-tester mode. They need to give us something actually useful for when I am just trying to get to where I am going safely (like Ford Blue Cruise).

Reactions: Hank42 and E90alex
It would be great to have the ability to have 'centering' options when on AP.
Ex. Hugging near the left or right line, instead of being just dead centered.
All those passing semi moments, when I choose to disengage AP due to the semis riding the line.
I know VW has this feature. Not sure about blue cruise. Either way Tesla come on...next update please.
I was thinking long ago that AP did move over for semi-trucks and it was a feature they added? [YT V10 2019.32.11] Lately I've been using FSDbeta on highways and it does a pretty smooth shift over for semis. Some say on busy highways it goes back and forth too much (ie. Tesla in middle of several lanes and large trucks on either side.)

I think all ADAS systems would do this especially if they want to keep peace in the family (haha, my spouse appreciates that it shifts over as semis were too close).

Reactions: Elektrick
FSD is a total fraud. Geez people, just drive your cars and trucks, and stop all this … oh the car will drive itself. Total BS
I don't think it is a fraud - just naïveté. I really do believe Elon thought he could deliver. But I do agree it is a long way out. I fear Tesla still thinks it is just "ballistics" when that is just the easy part (and they haven't even gotten that to work right). As far as the "just drive your car" comment, for me it's about safety. Yeah it sure would be nice to take a nap while the car did its thing but not really expecting that any time soon. However, having a never distracted, always alert, copilot with 360 degree vision and <100ms reaction time is very appealing and, as I get older, becomes almost a requirement.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
After seeing the newest interior pictures and that the price is going to be much higher than the $70k tri motor I did a preorder for. I’m going to be getting the Lightning after driving it and how much the interior just blows my MYP away. And the performance isn’t that much different with a much larger and roomier interior
I thought it was announced there will be no tri-motor but a quad motor instead. I ordered a tri motor but I guess when the time comes you will presented with the appropriate options. I can’t see how a quad starts at less than 85-90k. Could more likely be upper 90s low 100s. However it’s completely speculative in my part.

I’m enjoying my Rivian right now and will cross that bridge when it comes. I had a lightning and can say they’re quite good, slow in the charge, but otherwise I really enjoyed it. I just like to take my Rivian off road when I can, so it was a better choice for me.

• Love
Reactions: Cal1 and scottf200
I thought it was announced there will be no tri-motor but a quad motor instead. I ordered a tri motor but I guess when the time comes you will presented with the appropriate options. I can’t see how a quad starts at less than 85-90k. Could more likely be upper 90s low 100s. However it’s completely speculative in my part.

I’m enjoying my Rivian right now and will cross that bridge when it comes. I had a lightning and can say they’re quite good, slow in the charge, but otherwise I really enjoyed it. I just like to take my Rivian off road when I can, so it was a better choice for me.
Good to know. I am trying to set up a Rivian test drive to see how the interior feels. I know Tacomas are too small for me, I’m a big guy 6’2” 270# and have a car seat that needs to go in back seat. The lightning interior is great for both of both of those but will have to see what Rivian feels like

Cadillac Escalade IQ coming soon... Will definitely RSVP this as well. In many ways I don't doubt one bit that it'll be much more intriguing than the CT. Build quality, etc..Another great potential option.

Now Ford's turn to bring on their EV equivalent (Full size SUV). Also, as y'all may know already, if the Ford + Tesla deal goes through, incredible and kudos to Ford, the whole infrastructure argument (crutch that Tesla rides on) will no longer be an Ace card.

@TjckTock maybe just keep your awesome lightning. :)

Reactions: TjckTock
Good to know. I am trying to set up a Rivian test drive to see how the interior feels. I know Tacomas are too small for me, I’m a big guy 6’2” 270# and have a car seat that needs to go in back seat. The lightning interior is great for both of both of those but will have to see what Rivian feels like
The Rivian is a good sized interior but the lightning is f150 super Crew, so it’s really roomy.

Reactions: Hank42
FSD is a total fraud. Geez people, just drive your cars and trucks, and stop all this … oh the car will drive itself. Total BS
My car drove to Greenville SC and back yesterday without a disengagement. I took over to park and to pull in my garage. 280 miles on the interstate and the rest in a city.

How is that fraud? No other company can do that, not even Waymo.

My car drove to Greenville SC and back yesterday without a disengagement. I took over to park and to pull in my garage. 280 miles on the interstate and the rest in a city.

How is that fraud? No other company can do that, not even Waymo.
I think it depends on where you normally drive. Within big cities with complex/aggressive traffic, it still has some ways to go.

I live in a small city with simpler local traffic and lots of highway driving. In this kind of environment, it really works well - my wife tells me it drives better than me. FSD is on 90-95% of the time in my case, and I would feel really weird driving anything that doesn't have FSD in the future...

And yes, it feels perfectly safe.

Reactions: scottf200
I think it depends on where you normally drive. Within big cities with complex/aggressive traffic, it still has some ways to go.

I live in a small city with simpler local traffic and lots of highway driving. In this kind of environment, it really works well - my wife tells me it drives better than me. FSD is on 90-95% of the time in my case, and I would feel really weird driving anything that doesn't have FSD in the future...

And yes, it feels perfectly safe.
I am glad to hear it is working well for many. Gives me hope. Furthermore, I was just updated to 11.4.2 two weeks ago and saw a noticeable improvement. Several problem areas on my commute appear to have been addressed and the random lane shifting has been reduced. Not gone but only a couple times per trip which is almost tolerable. However, I am still forbidden to use it when my wife is in the car :) She hates they way it drives but that is mostly because of how it waits until the last second to start braking when coming to a red light. I don't mind it so much since I am covering the brake but for passengers it is nerve-wracking.

Reactions: JohnB007
I am glad to hear it is working well for many. Gives me hope. Furthermore, I was just updated to 11.4.2 two weeks ago and saw a noticeable improvement. Several problem areas on my commute appear to have been addressed and the random lane shifting has been reduced. Not gone but only a couple times per trip which is almost tolerable. However, I am still forbidden to use it when my wife is in the car :) She hates they way it drives but that is mostly because of how it waits until the last second to start braking when coming to a red light. I don't mind it so much since I am covering the brake but for passengers it is nerve-wracking.
My wife (who doesn't drive at all) also had that issue initially. Earlier versions used to brake harder, and perhaps she got partially used to that. Recent versions now brake more mildly (still harder than what I would do) so she finds it acceptable, but she understands that FSD is improving.

How long have you had the FSD?

I had it for exactly one year now, and I saw incredible improvements - still nowhere near Robo Taxi, but I gauge it based on what % of my driving distance the FSD can cover, and it gradually went up from around 30% to now close to 95% with confidence. When I encounter situations that I know FSD cannot handle, I'll do it myself for that moment. But when no cars follow me, I let it do what it wants to do to see how it works out. And report if it does dumb things - may be this helped out my situation.

My wife (who doesn't drive at all) also had that issue initially. Earlier versions used to brake harder, and perhaps she got partially used to that. Recent versions now brake more mildly (still harder than what I would do) so she finds it acceptable, but she understands that FSD is improving.

How long have you had the FSD?

I had it for exactly one year now, and I saw incredible improvements - still nowhere near Robo Taxi, but I gauge it based on what % of my driving distance the FSD can cover, and it gradually went up from around 30% to now close to 95% with confidence. When I encounter situations that I know FSD cannot handle, I'll do it myself for that moment. But when no cars follow me, I let it do what it wants to do to see how it works out. And report if it does dumb things - may be this helped out my situation.
I first got FSD beta on Christmas day 2021 so about 18 months now. Agree it has steadily gotten better.

Reactions: JohnB007
Ford announced that the F150 Lightning production will be increased to 150k (annualized) and they will start shipping next year with Tesla charging ports... so yeah ... even fewer reasons to go Cybertruck (if it ever comes). by the time the Cybertruck rolls out in volumes we probably already have the 2nd Gen Lightning announced on a pureplay EV platform...