Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lights keep coming on when parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,I am new here but I have a problem and have studied the manual and can not see this problem addressed . If I leave the keys in the car at night outside my house the headlights go on and off all night .I bring them in no problem .Yes, some of you will say just bring the keys in but sometimes I forget .It is almost like there is a sensor picking up movement.Any ideas where to turn it off ? Thanks.

if this isn't an april fools joke it should be!
do not leave your key in the car for many reasons.
bang a nail into your wall by the door that you use for ingress and egress, at least 10 feet from the car and hang the key there. doing that will be better for the car.

Reactions: FlyF4
You are funny ,I live on 40 acres fully secure . I always leave my main car outside and have for 20 years ,never a problem .This is a serious quirk as it is using power .There has to be a setting switch to change .Just looking for advise not abuse .Also u can not do April Fools after 12pm !!!!

I may have a similar problem. It seems like the parking lights (DRL light bars but not the main headlights, plus some red tail lights) come on randomly. In my case the fob is in my pocket, but often in a room that is adjacent to the garage. But I've twice seen the lights come on (through a garage window) as I'm walking away at a larger distance. I have seen them turn off after a minute or so, but also have seen them on in the morning after apparently draining my battery of about 1 mile of range.

I have walk-away locking enabled. If I leave the fob in the house and then walk to the garage, the car is locked and all internal screens and lights are off and the mirrors are folded. Just the parking lights are on. I do not have headlights on after locking enabled.

I was thinking maybe random fob button presses while it's in my pocket. Like the first stage of Summon. Or an initial stage of auto unlock as it senses a faint fob signal but doesn't think I'm at the car just yet. I'll have to experiment a little bit with the fob to see if I can trigger the lights.

The manual has this story about the fob only works within 1 meter, but I've seen many reports that the car can detect it up to 3 or 4 (10-12 feet) or more. People have had to put the fob(s) in a metal box inside the house. I'm going to have to do the same thing, as my master bedroom is directly over the garage and the last thing I want is the X (and I assume the 3 may be the same?) waking up all night!