Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lights won’t turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering if we all open a service ticket and complain, they will revert the 2023.12 update part for the parking lights.

This is not a one off issue happening to a few people. if you are on 2023.12.* the parking lights will stay on indefinitely if you toggle them on in drive and then park, leave and lock the car. They have always been auto off once you leave the car but not anymore.

Your description does not seem to be the same as the others in this thread. I just reread it and no one else indicated that they had manually turned anything on or off.
It may be what's happening, but like I said, no one has mentioned it.

And the answer is pretty emphatically, no, they will not revert to the old software, they'll fix it instead.

Your description does not seem to be the same as the others in this thread. I just reread it and no one else indicated that they had manually turned anything on or off.

And the answer is pretty emphatically, no, they will not revert to the old software, they'll fix it instead.
Literally everyone is complaining about the lights staying on when you manually select anything other than “auto” so I’m not sure what you’re going on about. And reread what I said, I stated that they could revert just the part of the update that this thread is about where any other mode other than auto stays continuously on.

Same here. I always have my parking light on and now it stays on after I get out of the car. I guess technically that's what parking light is suppose to do.
Yeah that’s why I’m assuming there’s not going to be a correction to it and this is the new norm for us guys that like to run parking and fogs in dusk instead of blinding everyone including myself with the bright low beams unnecessarily. Oh well

Literally everyone is complaining about the lights staying on when you manually select anything other than “auto” so I’m not sure what you’re going on about. And reread what I said, I stated that they could revert just the part of the update that this thread is about where any other mode other than auto stays continuously on.
Go reread the thread. YOU were the first to mention it. Others were saying that the lights were staying on, no mention that they were manually turned on. The ONLY times that I've manually done anything to my lights is when I'm at the drive-in theater.

Go reread the thread. YOU were the first to mention it. Others were saying that the lights were staying on, no mention that they were manually turned on. The ONLY times that I've manually done anything to my lights is when I'm at the drive-in theater.
Quote from the original poster below:
Thanks all. The lights stay on continuously (parking mode and/or headlights). Prior to the latest update the exterior lights would turn off by themselves (after the slight delay when exiting).

You have to turn on parking mode MANUALLY and they did turn off automatically when you got out until 2023.12.*

My headlights and I guess "parking lights" are on auto, the OP didn't mention that they were turned on manually.
Parking lights are not auto. They are manual. DRLs are auto. This thread came to existence because after the update 2023.12 update, parking lights that are manually turned on no longer automatically turn off after leaving the car and will stay on even under 20% battery.

May 2023

For safety reasons, even in daytime I like to drive my M3 with full exterior lights ON (headlights and tail lights), manually placed in the ON position before driving. The green low beam headlight icon is displayed.

Before a recent software upgrade, these exterior lights that I manually placed in the ON position before driving in daytime, would automatically turn OFF when I parked the car (P), exited and doors lock.

BUT now under the same procedure, after I stop and park (P), exit the car and doors lock, these exterior lights do NOT automatically turn off. They stay ON continuously.

Model Y folks seem to have the same issue. Did something change? My objective is for the exterior lights, headlights, tail lights, etc. to automatically turn Off in Daytime when car is Parked and doors lock as before the upgrade, even though the lights were manually switched to ON position before driving.

Reactions: Epradox and jdvm3
May 2023

For safety reasons, even in daytime I like to drive my M3 with full exterior lights ON (headlights and tail lights), manually placed in the ON position before driving. The green low beam headlight icon is displayed.

Before a recent software upgrade, these exterior lights that I manually placed in the ON position before driving in daytime, would automatically turn OFF when I parked the car (P), exited and doors lock.

BUT now under the same procedure, after I stop and park (P), exit the car and doors lock, these exterior lights do NOT automatically turn off. They stay ON continuously.

Model Y folks seem to have the same issue. Did something change? My objective is for the exterior lights, headlights, tail lights, etc. to automatically turn Off in Daytime when car is Parked and doors lock as before the upgrade, even though the lights were manually switched to ON position before driving.
What SW version are you running? I have 23.12.9 and my lights shut off after a minute.

I did.

In auto…

In auto... and they go off after a minute.

Lights1.jpg

That's because you have "Headlights after Exit" active. I don't, and my headlights turn off the moment I close the door.
If your response was addressed to me, I agree. But others have indicated their lights stay on for hours after they exit their car. I have mine set to stay on after exit so my wife doesn't walk through our garage with no lights on at night and trip over something.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
If your response was addressed to me, I agree. But others have indicated their lights stay on for hours after they exit their car. I have mine set to stay on after exit so my wife doesn't walk through our garage with no lights on at night and trip over something.
Yes, I was responding to you and what you described is the perfect scenario for keeping the lights on for a minute.

I hope a future update will fix the issues that some people are having, ideally without adding too many new problems.

I am still on 2022.20.8, so I wouldn't know if it's software related or something else.

Yes I think these threads don’t apply to 99% of people and it’s surprising how many well versed tesla enthusiast I’ve talked who have 0 clue about turning on headlights or parking lights manually. Theres a small handful of people that enjoy the aesthetic of running drl and fogs as it gives the car an appearance of a slightly wider stance plus I personally find the matrix lights insanely bright that even just running fog lights is brighter on the road than most cars halogen lights. I like to run fogs only in dusk then turn on low beams when the sun is completely out.

I’m used to running parking and fog lights from back in my bmw days where that was the look.

IMG_6739.jpg

The 1% of us that did this were used to the parking lights auto turning off when you parked after you set them manually in drive. The change has us forgetting to turn off the parking lights and it’ll run indefinitely now til the battery dies. No app warnings or on screen warnings to turn off the lights of any kind. This thread is about these particular functions of turning the lights on manually not about the lights turning off by themselves when left in auto.

Reactions: jdvm3