TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lightweight 21" forged aftermarket wheels vs stock. range?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by acaciolo, Aug 5, 2016.

1. acaciolo

acaciolo Member

I am about to order a p90d bug can't stand the look of the stock wheels. And I don't want to take the 15% performance hit on the factory 22". So I am looking for a compromise in both performance and comfort.

I found a nice 21" forged wheel that only weighs 26lb. since I need a 40 series tire to keep the overal diameter the same, the only decent choice I think is the Pirelli scorpion verde. It has a high tread wear rating (520 I think) and consumer reports (and tire rack ) gave it some great reviews. But the think I like the most is that it was highly rated by CR for Low rolling resistance / good fuel economy,

So am I right in thinking that if I get a lighter wheel with a lower rolling resistance tire and only go to a 21", I might not take too much of a performance hit? I know the weight is a big factor, so I am hoping this forged wheel helps offset some of the performance loss.

this is my first post of what will likely be many more!

thanks
    tony

• Like x 1
  2. Phil Seastrand

Are you planning to tow anything? If so, then you need to be concerned with weight capacity of the tire/rim combinations.

3. acaciolo

acaciolo Member

No towing requirement. And I'll be putting winter wheels on .

4. acaciolo

acaciolo Member

It looks like MRR has a pretty nice wheel (also available in matte black, even though this page only shows gloss) that weighs 26lbs.
    FS01 - MRR Wheels That is about 14lbs lighter than the Tesla 22", so I am hoping it will be a less painful performance it. Plus I like the tire size to be a little taller than the 22" aspect ratio.

• Like x 1
  5. yearofthedragon

@acaciolo those wheels do look nice.

In addition to weight, the a wheel needs to be able to handle the load of a Model X. 6800lbs gross vehicle weight rating (I rounded up) / 4 = 1700lbs. Tesla load rates their 22" turbine at 880kg or 1936lbs per wheel. I know T Sportline forged wheels are load rated at 900kg or 1980lbs.

Be safe!

IMG_1525.jpg IMG_2230.jpg

• Informative x 1
  6. acaciolo

acaciolo Member

Thanks for the tip on that. They told me that they are rated for the model X, but it makes sense for me to see the actual load capacity specs. I just emailed them. Thanks for looking out for me!

tony c

7. acaciolo

acaciolo Member

Just confirmed that the wheels are rated at 815kg. total = 7188 lbs. At only 26lbs for a 21" wheel, I am anxious to give them a try. And I am looking forward to the 21" which seems like a happy medium. The only issue is minimal tire choice, as it seems the Pirelli Scorpion verde is the best option.

8. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

9. acaciolo

acaciolo Member

Amazing, but a little more than I need!

• Like x 1