Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightweight 21" forged aftermarket wheels vs stock. range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to order a p90d bug can't stand the look of the stock wheels. And I don't want to take the 15% performance hit on the factory 22". So I am looking for a compromise in both performance and comfort.

I found a nice 21" forged wheel that only weighs 26lb. since I need a 40 series tire to keep the overal diameter the same, the only decent choice I think is the Pirelli scorpion verde. It has a high tread wear rating (520 I think) and consumer reports (and tire rack ) gave it some great reviews. But the think I like the most is that it was highly rated by CR for Low rolling resistance / good fuel economy,

So am I right in thinking that if I get a lighter wheel with a lower rolling resistance tire and only go to a 21", I might not take too much of a performance hit? I know the weight is a big factor, so I am hoping this forged wheel helps offset some of the performance loss.

this is my first post of what will likely be many more!

thanks
tony

Reactions: hiroshiy
@acaciolo those wheels do look nice.

In addition to weight, the a wheel needs to be able to handle the load of a Model X. 6800lbs gross vehicle weight rating (I rounded up) / 4 = 1700lbs. Tesla load rates their 22" turbine at 880kg or 1936lbs per wheel. I know T Sportline forged wheels are load rated at 900kg or 1980lbs.

Be safe!

IMG_1525.jpg IMG_2230.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Just confirmed that the wheels are rated at 815kg. total = 7188 lbs. At only 26lbs for a 21" wheel, I am anxious to give them a try. And I am looking forward to the 21" which seems like a happy medium. The only issue is minimal tire choice, as it seems the Pirelli Scorpion verde is the best option.