Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightweight Roadster Variant?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here’s a thought experiment…

Take the Roadster and remove the front motor, and make it rear wheel drive only. Then take out about half of the battery.

The hoped-for result: lower cost, considerably lower mass, no torque steer, more "classic" RWD sports car handling characteristics. However, it would sacrifice those world-record range and acceleration specs.

Would anyone find this interesting? Maybe as a limited edition?

Reactions: Eberhard
I was actually thinking this same thing a while back.

What if I don't need 250mph, 0.60 in ~1.5 seconds, 620+ miles of range for a quarter million dollars? I, for one, would much prefer a car that does 0-60 around North of 2-seconds, 325-350ish miles of range (one has to assume that the car would be more efficient based on lower weight making the range slightly more than 50%) and the price could likely be tens of thousands less given how expensive the full size pack will likely be to produce. It would have better handling mannerisms and would be more sportier rather than just a raw straight line warrior.

I'd love to see something like this. In the end, I'll likely just go with the Plaid Plus at some point and just pretend it looks like a Next Gen Roadster. lol

325-350ish miles of range (one has to assume that the car would be more efficient based on lower weight making the range slightly more than 50%)

Well, we already have a Model S with 400+ miles range and 100 KWh battery. Seems to me a Roadster with the same battery capacity and less frontal area (thus, less drag) should at least match that, if not beat it. On the other hand. . . Removing the front motor would compromise regen. That would matter more in city driving, as opposed to the highway driving that I think most of us care about. It might end up sort of like the Taycan, with disappointing EPA combined cycle range but actually a fair bit better when cruising the open road.

Reactions: Eberhard
I was thinking that but also the other way. What if they made LR version of the roadster at a $30-40k premium over the MS LR? It might be $75k less than the full fat version so much more affordable and for many they don't need the performance or that extreme range but just want the look and it would probably still be plenty fast enough. Bit like Merc do with the S class coupe.

I was thinking that but also the other way. What if they made LR version of the roadster at a $30-40k premium over the MS LR? It might be $75k less than the full fat version so much more affordable and for many they don't need the performance or that extreme range but just want the look and it would probably still be plenty fast enough. Bit like Merc do with the S class coupe.
This is exactly what I want. Model S LR specs but in a 3500 lb roadster for $120k. Will eat Porsches for lunch.

Why would Tesla make a cheaper halo car……? The whole idea with a halo car is that it is the best of the best that the company can do to show off its tech prowess. In this scenario they will try to make it as light as possible still keeping the specs they have announced, or better, but this will not make it cheaper…. Actually probably more expensive……….

Reactions: bobinfla
...because I'm not the only one here who really wants the Tesla halo car but, if we're honest with ourselves, worries that it wont be that great of a drivers car in part it's so damn fast.

What gives me some hope here is that Elon had the greatest driver's car that ever existed, the McLaren F1. He agrees that it's the greatest car but says the Roadster will be better. While the F1 was crazy fast [I can personally attest to this] the reason it's magic and valued like it is is because of the driving experience. I don't know how the hell you make an electric car that does 0-60 in well under 2 seconds have an enjoyable driving experience but if any person/company can do it, it's Tesla.

Worse case scenario is I'm forced upgrade to a ludicrous mode Model 3 and put on coilovers. There's something to be said for being stealth. :)

Why would Tesla make a cheaper halo car……? The whole idea with a halo car is that it is the best of the best that the company can do to show off its tech prowess. In this scenario they will try to make it as light as possible still keeping the specs they have announced, or better, but this will not make it cheaper…. Actually probably more expensive……….
If they can give a roadster the specs of a model S LR while reducing the weight it to Porsche 911 levels is could work. If they make more profit than any other vehicles it could still be worth it to them.

No one sane is going to be tracking a full on roadster. I want one I can do a few laps with. and for that saving 50% on battery weight would do a lot. Even a dual motor would be fine. I've leave tracking the full spec roadster to the professions.

Although I can't imagine removing changing the front motors and going with half the battery would increase margins vs the full up roadster enough to justify say a $75k price reduction.