Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightweight trailers a Model 3 might be able to tow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the great replies. I like everything about the Bowlus except the price. OUCH. :eek:

I guess that I should quit complaining about he price of hotel rooms. They seem to be more in line with my budget.

Reactions: S'toon
If teardrop trailer designers would actually test their designs in real wind tunnels, I think they would be shocked. Because based on real world data, a Bowlus Road Chief requires significantly less energy to tow than a Safari Condo R1723

Alto trailer is 83" high by 83" wide, length 168", dry weight 1,592 lbs
ALTO_1713_slide2.jpg

Bowlus Road Chief trailer is 93" high by 80" wide, length 285", dry weight 2,300 lbs
bowlus-5jpg.jpg

Tesla Model X tow test achieves 70% of EPA range with trailer [Video]
Quote: "The company achieved about 70% of the Model X P90D 250-mile EPA-rated range while towing the trailer at a moderate highway cruising speed of 50 to 55 mph."

In contrast, Model X owner @fortytwo reports a 50% or more range decrease when towing his Alto R1723.

Below is a photo of @jackbowers towing his Bowlus Road Chief.
model-x-bowlus-trailer-3.jpg

Careful about the comparisons. The Bowlus quote was comparing to rated range (achievable at ? MPH, I haven't tried doing that) and as low as 50 MPH while towing. I assume the Alto report was comparing actual consumption at the same speed with or without the trailer.

The discussion about reduced range got me thinking (yes, a dangerous thing to do) so this may be a silly question, but how does one navigate a SuperCharger to plug in while towing a trailer?
There are some pull-through Superchargers that are amenable to trailering. In other cases, owners have parallel parked and blocked a few chargers when the location is relatively empty. But the honest answer is that you should unhitch. I made a bunch of modifications to my hitch setup so that this can be done in under 3 minutes. It's not ideal, but it's also not the end of the world.

Careful about the comparisons. The Bowlus quote was comparing to rated range (achievable at ? MPH, I haven't tried doing that) and as low as 50 MPH while towing. I assume the Alto report was comparing actual consumption at the same speed with or without the trailer.
The Bowlus Quote: "The company achieved about 70% of the Model X P90D 250-mile EPA-rated range while towing the trailer at a moderate highway cruising speed of 50 to 55 mph."

The way I interpret that statement is that an XP90D was able to tow a Bowlus Road Chief 175 real world miles at 50-55mph. I find that pretty impressive.

The data I have seen for an XP90D towing an Alto R1723 is a range of a maximum of 150 miles at similar speeds on flat roads with no headwinds or rain.

The Bowlus Quote: "The company achieved about 70% of the Model X P90D 250-mile EPA-rated range while towing the trailer at a moderate highway cruising speed of 50 to 55 mph."

The way I interpret that statement is that an XP90D was able to tow a Bowlus Road Chief 175 real world miles at 50-55mph. I find that pretty impressive.

The data I have seen for an XP90D towing an Alto R1723 is a range of a maximum of 150 miles at similar speeds on flat roads with no headwinds or rain.
For what it's worth, their quote was based on the single road test done in ideal conditions by Jack Bowers himself. It still seems to hold, given what Jack has reported here, but the last time he updated us he had given up on 50-55mph and was traveling at 65mph. ;)

It's that optical trick, making us believe teardrops are actually more aerodynamic. Too bad we can't see airflow. We'd probably make vastly different design and purchase decisions.
I think a tear drop is a misnomer. I'm not sure why exactly, but my guess is that people associated rain drops as being maximally aerodynamic instead of maximally aerodynamic given the surface tension of water, but not really that aerodynamic.

A trailer built to be aerodynamic would look more like this.

Untitled-9.jpg

Reactions: Tedkidd
For what it's worth, their quote was based on the single road test done in ideal conditions by Jack Bowers himself. It still seems to hold, given what Jack has reported here, but the last time he updated us he had given up on 50-55mph and was traveling at 65mph. ;)
And I don't blame him, since he was getting such remarkably low energy usage at 55, why not go faster? :cool: I hope he doesn't get ticketed while towing at 65!

Must be a California thing. Here in Texas, there are no laws reducing speed while towing a trailer. I can still legally drive 75 MPH with a trailer in some areas. (can... not should)
Yes. Legally speaking, no one in California is allowed to tow above 55 MPH using a passenger car, and the lowest allowable speed is 45 MPH on highways and freeways. Somehow, my younger Brother was unaware of this, and was ticketed while towing at a much higher speed and in the diamond (HOV) lane. He ended up getting the citation overturned both because there were no signs in the area noting the speed limit while towing, and the law does not specifically state you cannot tow in the diamond lane. But, I'm fairly certain the provision of towing at 55 MPH maximum has been on the books, at least the DMV handbook, for well over thirty years. Of course, I'm probably one of few who ever actually read the thing.

By the way... I do remember that East Texas used to have signs that limited towing speed to 55 MPH at night along I-20. But those have been gone for quite a few years.

By the way... I do remember that East Texas used to have signs that limited towing speed to 55 MPH at night along I-20. But those have been gone for quite a few years.
A cursory search online says that there is a towing speed limit in Texas, but it's 70. That's close to the highest speed limit anyway, so effectively @Craig-Tx is correct.

Reactions: Red Sage
A
Wow, the losses pulling a T@B trailer are more than I expected.

GMC Terrain: 30 down to 15.6 mpg, 48% loss (+1037 Wh/mi)
2013 Subaru Outback: 29 down to 17 mpg, 41% loss (+820 Wh/mi)
2012 Ford Escape: 26 down to 14 mpg, 46% loss (+1111 Wh/mi)
2013 Nissan Murano: 25 down to 15.5 mpg, 38% loss (+826 Wh/mi)
2011 Jeep Wrangler: 18 down to 14 mpg, 22% loss (+535 Wh/mi)
GMC Sierra: 17.4 down to 12.9 mpg, 26% loss (+676 Wh/mi)
2008 Ford Explorer: 16 down to 10 mpg, 38% loss (+1264 Wh/mi)

From anecdotal experience towing our T@B with our ICE car and now our X60D, I believe the numbers. We got a 50% hit on range with our ICE and the X uses a lot more kWh towing than we initially thought it would. Speed and outside temperature make a noticeable difference. That said, it's not a dealbreaker if you plan correctly. We're only moving on because our family doesn't fit in the T@B anymore (which is really a 2 person camper, if they like each other a lot).

When we upgrade to the Alto 1723 next year (pick up date end of May, avoiding winter temps), I'm hoping for a small range improvement due to the decreased height. Anything around 50% (~100 mi) is acceptable, as 95% of our towing distances will be < 200 mi which amounts to one long SC stop for dinner, arrive at camping spot near empty and recharge to full over the weekend.

The other thing you sign up for when towing a T@B is all the attention you get.. no one notices the X so much with the T@B behind it.

When we upgrade to the Alto 1723 next year (pick up date end of May, avoiding winter temps), I'm hoping for a small range improvement due to the decreased height. Anything around 50% (~100 mi) is acceptable
Do you mean you are hoping for a "range improvement" compared to what you achieve towing your T@B with your X?

Can you share your Wh/mi energy usage numbers when towing your T@B? Would love to know what you get at about 55mph on a level dry road with no headwind.

What T@B model do you have?

You and I will be taking delivery on our Altos at about the same time. I have been told mine could be available by February but I'm going to postpone my pick up until springtime. Don't want to be driving in the winter in Canada with a trailer.

Do you mean you are hoping for a "range improvement" compared to what you achieve towing your T@B with your X?
Yes, that's what I'm hopeful for.

Can you share your Wh/mi energy usage numbers when towing your T@B? Would love to know what you get at about 55mph on a level dry road with no headwind.
I'll need to gather that on our next camping trip.

What T@B model do you have?
It's a 2014 S Maxx, which is the first or second year of the wet bath model. Ordered it through a Little Guy dealer in PA (built next door in OH), it took maybe 2 months. It's pretty similar to the one pictured earlier, though they did tweak the design slightly.

You and I will be taking delivery on our Altos at about the same time. I have been told mine could be available by February but I'm going to postpone my pick up until springtime. Don't want to be driving in the winter in Canada with a trailer.
Likewise, we delayed pick up until temps are more favorable for towing electrically, and no chance of surprise snowfall. Already did that once..

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
My $0.02 on this subject:
  • I think the only model of Model 3 that might be factory-certified for a tow hitch will be the dual-motor, possibly with Smart Air Suspension (SAS). I'd bet that even that option will have a towing limit of around 1,500-2,000 lbs.
  • Because almost any travel trailer is such a hit to range (due to both aero and weight), the only viable options for a travel trailer would be a teardrop or (small) tent trailer. But almost all of these weigh at least 800 lbs., and most top 1,200. So again, a real range-buster.
  • From all of my research, there's only one that I would consider "ideal". And unfortunately, that one was only made for two years in the early 1990s - the Teardrop American Outbacker. Made of polyethylene plastic with an aluminum frame, it only weighed about 350 lbs.(!) - if only we could crowdfund someone to restart production, or make a modern teardrop with similar goals (ultra-lightweight and aero).
    Teardrop-American-Outbacker-3.png

• Of what's made today, I'd consider:

• The Little Guy MyPod (630 lbs.), but at 6'5", I'm too tall for it. And unlike traditional teardrops, no galley in the back.
      mypod-conclusion.jpg

• The Kompact Kamp Trailers Mini Mate popup tent trailer (265 lbs). Basically, a quick-folding tent on wheels with storage space.
      466471314.jpg

• The Moby1 C2 (320 lbs), but its width makes it suitable for only one (or two small, cozy campers). Again, no galley.
      PAG_9710.jpg

• There was a company called Nest Egg Trailers that made a "Featherweight 58" fiberglass teardrop (620 lbs) that looked to be the best "full size" teardrop (with galley) for Model 3 towing. They were located in Costa Mesa, CA, but moved to the upper midwest and apparently stopped production last year. A shame. But you might be able to find one used.
      1b919edae63bd7941b189d299fdbb714.jpg
If you really want to pull a caravan or big, heavy teardrop (my favorite: the Vistabule), I think you'll be looking at a Model X (or Y, once they're available). I've pretty much resigned myself to using the Model 3 as a "town car" and pinning my hopes for trailer towing on the Model Y. But hey, maybe someone will fill this niche. Sigh. :(

Anybody else seen other ultralight (under 1,000 lbs), aerodynamic travel trailers? Post pics and links, please!

There are some pull-through Superchargers that are amenable to trailering. In other cases, owners have parallel parked and blocked a few chargers when the location is relatively empty. But the honest answer is that you should unhitch. I made a bunch of modifications to my hitch setup so that this can be done in under 3 minutes. It's not ideal, but it's also not the end of the world.

I am about to take the plunge and get a small trailer, can you share any of the mods you did to enable fast unhitching?