Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightweight wheel owners - your feedback on unsprung reduction vs stock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much are the factory 18's? I just checked the Tesla site:

Tesla OEM 18's with snow tires are $2K - PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO™ tires
Tesla OEM 19's with tires are $3.5K -Hankook Ventrus S1 EVO
Tesla OEM 20's with tires are $4K - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

I would get the Martians or Titans or TSW's with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (TO) Summer Performance Tires (depending on where you live) once the temps go above 50 degrees swap out the winters.

Cost <$1000 for tires Summer
Cost <$1000 for tires All Season
$2000 for wheels (fully forged) or these also fully forged
or
$1400 for wheels (Rotary "forged" cast wheels) -TSW's - 1880NUR355114G76
+ TPMS sensors.
+ CB rings (for TSW's)

Last edited:
Reactions: MagnusMako
Last edited:
Just as a reminder, T-Sportline sells their M3115 fully forged 20" wheel that is fully hub centric (no hub rings). The 8.5" wheel is listed as 19.75 pounds. For me, this is a great option as it allows use of the stock tires with a wheel that is almost 10 pounds lighter than stock. The only downside is the cost is quite high at $1,100 per wheel. T-Sportline does have sales on occasion (which I caught) that makes the price a bit more palatable. I have been impressed with the wheels I purchased.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Just as a reminder, T-Sportline sells their M3115 fully forged 20" wheel that is fully hub centric (no hub rings). The 8.5" wheel is listed as 19.75 pounds. For me, this is a great option as it allows use of the stock tires with a wheel that is almost 10 pounds lighter than stock. The only downside is the cost is quite high at $1,100 per wheel. T-Sportline does have sales on occasion (which I caught) that makes the price a bit more palatable. I have been impressed with the wheels I purchased.
M3115 is a great wheel, but I think I would go with these which are $800 per wheel in 20 inch fully forged in staggered fitment and direct bolt on to Model 3, with lifetime structural warranty. Or these new aero efficient ones designed for the Model 3 - called T-LD1

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dbiland
How much are the factory 18's? I just checked the Tesla site:

Tesla OEM 18's with snow tires are $2K - PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO™ tires
Tesla OEM 19's with tires are $3.5K -Hankook Ventrus S1 EVO
Tesla OEM 20's with tires are $4K - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

I would get the Martians or Titans or TSW's with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (TO) Summer Performance Tires (depending on where you live) once the temps go above 50 degrees swap out the winters.

Cost <$1000 for tires Summer
Cost <$1000 for tires All Season
$2000 for wheels (fully forged) or these also fully forged
or
$1400 for wheels (Rotary "forged" cast wheels) -TSW's - 1880NUR355114G76
+ TPMS sensors.
+ CB rings (for TSW's)

Do you have the Martian wheels on your car?

So i took my car to service due to i was having some bad vibration. turns out i have 2 bent wheels and 2 tires that are very worn. they wanted to charge me $2500 for this so i said you know what let me get some 18s. so i pulled the trigger and i am getting the t sportline 18inch TSS. currently have the performance model with 20 inch rims performance upgrade so i will be able to give some insight as far as acceleration, range and driving. i loved the 20s but i commute about 3k-4k miles a month so the 18s makes more sense for me. they arrive on monday so i will keep you guys posted

So is it a consensus swapping to same size forged 20’s on a P3d on same tires won’t net much efficiency increase? Thinking maybe of doing a squared Titan 20” setup on oem ps4 tires. Theoretically it should be more efficient saving 8lb per corner and using the same rubber.

So is it a consensus swapping to same size forged 20’s on a P3d on same tires won’t net much efficiency increase? Thinking maybe of doing a squared Titan 20” setup on oem ps4 tires. Theoretically it should be more efficient saving 8lb per corner and using the same rubber.

Definitely will improve ride, probably will improve handling, definitely will improve acceleration but unlikely it will improve efficiency unless the wheel is more aerodynamic than the one it is replacing. Unsprung weight in terms of wheels and tires is mostly a function of rotational inertia. While you do spend more money, so to speak, to get it up to speed you gain most of that back in regen. And most of the rotational inertia is actually in the tire tread rather than in the wheel. So long story short, no I wouldn't predict you'd gain an enormous amount of range.. On the other and they look better, ride better, and like I said probably handle better too

Reactions: Clivew and holmgang
M3115 is a great wheel, but I think I would go with these which are $800 per wheel in 20 inch fully forged in staggered fitment and direct bolt on to Model 3, with lifetime structural warranty. Or these new aero efficient ones designed for the Model 3 - called T-LD1

VS Forged are probably a better value - you can get a 20 inch set (9 or 9.5 and 10.5 for $2600). I got a set that were extremely well-made weighed 21 lb in front for a 9.5 in wide wheel fitting a 265/30 22 lb in rear for 10.5, fitting 275/30. Plus they can do custom offsets which I really appreciated. And they're even lighter in 19 and of course 18 inch sizes.
20200721_182323.jpg

Last edited:
$400 and you will be good as new. I have a Model S with ~98K on it my and my rear door handle was acting funky, (door kept popping open when I approached the car or tapped the key fob), Tesla Ranger came by my house and knocked it out in about 90 minutes. The new design of the door handle looks a lot cleaner than the old design which had multiple failure points. Also I remember back in the day paying $1100 for a door handle replacement in 2013... this is a huge improvement. Best part was he checked my tire pressure, and when I went to drive the car I noticed it on my TPMS system I just updated as well... very cool..that they tech checked this too.

Last edited:
Reactions: dfwatt