Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Like it or not, electric cars are going mass market.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are already EVs for delivery (Fedex and UPS both use electric trucks in areas), Tesla will make a EV pickup truck for towing and we will see the various market segments addressed as the EV advantage becomes clearer. The Tesla Model S is already a long commuter vehicle, especially since many long commuters are those who bought a big house out in the exurbs.

Certain parts of the world just don't have the capitol to make big shifts, so seeing a Leaf in Honduras is unlikely. What is likely is to see an electric litmotors cargo scooter. ref:

I think everyone is missing my original point, the means for EVs to be globally accepted RIGHT NOW is not there. Some expansion and changes need to be made. The expansion is beginning and will evolve in the future and will eventually be globally accepted, but right now it is not.

I think everyone is missing my original point, the means for EVs to be globally accepted RIGHT NOW is not there. Some expansion and changes need to be made. The expansion is beginning and will evolve in the future and will eventually be globally accepted, but right now it is not.

I don't think anyone is arguing with you that the EVs that exist right now (Leaf and Tesla Model S) don't fit every segment of cars that people want and/or need. Tesla doesn't need that though, they need enough people to accept it to sell 20,000+ cars a year at this point.

I think the term in your original statement that sets the wrong tone is "drastic" changes. The changes will be large, but they don't need to be drastic. Evolutionary changes will naturally allow the EV to gain traction in the coming years.

I don't think anyone is arguing with you that the EVs that exist right now (Leaf and Tesla Model S) don't fit every segment of cars that people want and/or need. Tesla doesn't need that though, they need enough people to accept it to sell 20,000+ cars a year at this point.

I am not specifically talking about Tesla either, Tesla has seen great success but I am talking about the EV market in general. Tesla may not need to fit that specific segment just as Mercedes, BMW, Rolls Royce, etc. do not fit in every segment. I am speaking in generalities.

To be honest you lost a lot of credibility saying that there are no EVs for long commuters today. One Leaf owner in the NW has been using his leave to drive 130 miles a day, charging at work and home. And the Tesla Model S is obviously suitable for long commuting. In the next 2 years we will start seeing more 200+ mile EVs and that will change the entire world.

If I worked at Microsoft or Google and had access to work charging I could easily be commuting 100 miles a day on my Ford Focus EV. By any defination that is a long commute and having access to work chargers is becoming more and more common. Note in my case there is a walgreens walking distance from the office, I could easily charge there instead of at work. If I put a folding bike in my car I could park in the Library 1 mile away as well. And that is obviously pushing it but the Model S is just drive to work, drive to home, plug in for that distance.
djw

I think EVs and plug in hybrids have hit the tipping point in the San Francisco bay area. I work at a ~90 person company and in the last several months I purchased a Tesla Model S, a co-worker bought a Nissan LEAF, and another co-worker bought a Chevy Volt. The building manager is planning to install at least three chargers by this November. My neighbor across the street in San Leandro also just bought a Ford Fusion Energi plug-in-hybrid. There are always multiple EVs plugged in at the Oakland airport every time I've been there in the last several months. I've used public charging stations at IKEA in Emeryville, the Stoneridge mall in Pleasanton, a winery in Lodi, and next to the Assemble restaurant in Richmond (although I did this more to test out my J1772 adapter and show people that there is at least some demand for public EV chargers). I've also gone on four road trips that required Tesla Superchargers and was impressed and/or annoyed by how busy they get on weekends now. There was also a recent LA times article that demand is exceeding supply for the Fiat500e and Honda Fit EV. This may take some time to percolate out to the rest of the country. But once you have enough people that own road-trip capable EVs, the free market will take care of putting charging infrastructure at motels, highway rest stops, etc.

To be honest you lost a lot of credibility saying that there are no EVs for long commuters today. One Leaf owner in the NW has been using his leave to drive 130 miles a day, charging at work and home. And the Tesla Model S is obviously suitable for long commuting. In the next 2 years we will start seeing more 200+ mile EVs and that will change the entire world.

If I worked at Microsoft or Google and had access to work charging I could easily be commuting 100 miles a day on my Ford Focus EV. By any defination that is a long commute and having access to work chargers is becoming more and more common. Note in my case there is a walgreens walking distance from the office, I could easily charge there instead of at work. If I put a folding bike in my car I could park in the Library 1 mile away as well. And that is obviously pushing it but the Model S is just drive to work, drive to home, plug in for that distance.
djw

I don't see how he has any less credibility. The fact of the matter is, conveniently-accessible, available charging stations at home and work are not commonplace yet. If charging stations were common at workplace parking lots, and going on the assumption that most EV owners/leasers have a home charging station, then a 70-80 mile range would not be an issue for the vast majority of drivers. One day a week, I have a 100-mile round-trip commute (with three other carpoolers). I've looked and there are a handful of EV charging stations near my work, so I could probably make a car with a sub 100-mile total range work, but I'd much rather have the confidence of a car with a 200+ mile total range, so if needed, I could take care of charging at home, and not have to worry about plugging in at work.