Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Like new 2021 Standard Range Blue Model Y with White Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who don’t know… Vroom and Carvana are publicly traded companies. They lose thousands for every car they sell. We’re in a used car bubble, and those companies would implode if they failed to come close to Wall Street estimates. That’s why they’re paying so much.

And just because it’s marked as “sold” or “sale pending” doesn’t mean someone paid the price (but there are suckers out there). It could also mean they dumped it at a dealer wholesale auction. At the end of the quarter, that’s what usually happens. They don’t operate like normal car dealers. They are doomed to fail.

So, sell your MY to them. I sold a 6 month old Prius Prime to them because they paid me $8k more than I paid for it off the lot.

Reactions: ElectricEel
No, it’s not near retail. For less than $500 more you can get a brand spanking new LONG RANGE Model Y from Tesla. That’s a 40% difference in battery size for a few hundred bucks more.

Vroom is screwing people over. They don’t educate customers the difference between standard range and long range. The average customer won’t know what a 50kWh battery means vs 75kWh. Vroom might not even be mentioning that it’s a difference between rear wheel drive and all wheel drive. Depending when it was purchased the actual retail of a Blue on White Standard Range Y was like $46,400… and possibly as low as $44,400.

The used market is strong, but a car with almost 8,000 miles on it hasn’t gone up $10,500 above what it was sold for.

Vroom and Carvana aren’t all that accurate with Tesla. It usually is fantastic for people trading in but poor buyers are absolutely getting worked over on the prices they sell for.
You conveniently forget to mention that the wait time on a new Y is 4 to 6 months. So, choice is either pay market price on an used o e or wait til 2022 for a new one. Pretty simple.

Reactions: Lefix
You conveniently forget to mention that the wait time on a new Y is 4 to 6 months. So, choice is either pay market price on an used o e or wait til 2022 for a new one. Pretty simple.
The wait time on Y has always been pretty hit or miss and often was at least 2 months if not more. I'm fine with people paying more to get the car now, but I'm not fine with someone thinking they're getting the car that Tesla has posted on their website. I could easily see someone thinking "standard range" just means it's the "normal one" and not the Performance car. The price is about the same as the "normal one" on the Tesla site and nowhere does this post mention the range it charges to right now or that it's rear wheel drive only. Sure a buyer should go do their own homework, but it also might be really helpful for someone else to comment about how this isn't the same car that's on Tesla's site and the price is very high for what this car is. If someone that doesn't care about the price but wants the car NOW sees this, they're still going to buy it from this guy because you still can't get the car right away any other way. BUT, it clears it up for others that might be first time Tesla owners (and first time EV owners) so they at least take a step back for research.

I mean if everyone here likes to think that Tesla is doing universal good by pushing adoption of EVs forward, then they should also be wanting to call out bad deals, but 100% if someone buys this car because they were talking to someone in a parking lot about how the 300+ mile range was great in a car this size, and they can hardly get to 240 miles and more like 180 miles on the highway, they're going to warn EVERYONE they know not to buy an EV, especially Tesla. They might not even KNOW they bought a car with a smaller battery that Tesla has basically scrubbed from their site.

It's fine the post stays here and the guy can still try to sell his car, maybe he even will sell it. I'm not asking for it to be removed or anything, but I think it's fine also to point out this is wildly overpriced, is nowhere near "retail," and probably should be avoided.

Honestly I don't even know how he got quoted that high of a price on Vroom when my car, same colors but an actual long range version with only 3,500 miles AND full self driving was quoted a couple thousand bucks less...

Reactions: bee-unit
Honestly I don't even know how he got quoted that high of a price on Vroom when my car, same colors but an actual long range version with only 3,500 miles AND full self driving was quoted a couple thousand bucks less...
He may not have really been. Supposedly he was going to sell it to them if it didn’t sell last weekend. Supposedly the OP even received offers of $54K, but hasn’t accepted those.

Quite a bit of chatter, to be honest I have several local interests that I don’t even care you guys are bashing my post anymore. But here’s a screenshot for my vroom offer.

I am not a jerk I’ve been telling everyone that messaged me that they are aware this model Y is the standard range which is 244 miles not the 324 mile long range model.

You seemed a bit upset and raged on my post simply because your offer is lower than mine while you paid significantly more, your attitude is not very good to the community either.

Attachments

• 6379C03B-E717-4D1B-A05B-295B1B90682A.jpeg
    6379C03B-E717-4D1B-A05B-295B1B90682A.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 87
The dealer is likely going to screw over whoever they sell it to. I highly doubt the dealer will even educate the buyer that a longer range version exists.

Maybe it's not their job to, but it sure doesn't paint a good picture for electric cars. Someone is going to pay way too much and then tell their friends that EVs are really really expensive and need a lot more range, they'll suggest to wait on buying one.

But hey, you made money so that's good I guess....

Sold! A wholesaler bought it and will make a couple g’s on it and the dealer is listing it over $60k. Glad I didn’t take vroom/carmax offers

what a crazy time!

thank you all for the fun discussions!
I have a feeling the dealer won't be making much money on it. The wholesaler purchased it from you, then they re-sold it at a higher price to a dealer. The dealer can then put if for sale at a certain price, but doesn't mean anyone will buy it for that price. It'll probably get negotiated by any potential buyers or just lowered as it sits idle losing money on the dealers lot.

How much did the wholesaler buy it from you for?

I have a feeling the dealer won't be making much money on it. The wholesaler purchased it from you, then they re-sold it at a higher price to a dealer. The dealer can then put if for sale at a certain price, but doesn't mean anyone will buy it for that price. It'll probably get negotiated by any potential buyers or just lowered as it sits idle losing money on the dealers lot.

How much did the wholesaler buy it from you for?
@Kairide, how do you know the dealer won't make money? They are professional, they are in the business of buying and selling cars, I really doubt that they would overpay the price and end up losing money.

@Kairide, how do you know the dealer won't make money? They are professional, they are in the business of buying and selling cars, I really doubt that they would overpay the price and end up losing money.
You do realize not all dealers turn a profit on the cars. Look at Carvana, they had their first profitable quarter. They have been bleeding money. Being a used car dealership doesn’t mean you’re a professional.

The dealer will mostly be making money from the bank who will lease the car.

Note: The car will certainly be sold with, at least, a 6 years and 4% loan, or a $900 monthly payment (no included taxes and fees), so the total interest fees will be around $10k, making every body happy...

Last edited:
The dealer will mostly be making money from the bank who will lease the car.

Note: The car will certainly be sold with, at least, a 6 years and 4% loan, or a $900 monthly payment (no included taxes and fees), so the total interest fees will be around $10k, making every body happy...
That’s a pretty unlikely interest fee and rate. If it were true the bank would be getting the majority of it.
What happens if the buyer walks in with their own financing?