Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Like your black Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an opportunity to buy a black 2022 LRMY freshly delivered, not used, for about $1000 more than my late July- late August EDD for my preferred blue color. I do live in a warm climate, but blue is pretty dark, too. I’ve never owned a black car and am feeling a bit reluctant about getting one because of paint maintenance, more visible flaws etc. It’s also the least popular color, so resale value might be less, although I do plan on keeping it for a very long time (at least 10 years). How’s your experience with a black MY? Other black cars? Would you hesitate to buy a new or used MY if it was black?

If you do this, I recommend partial PPF on hood/ front / side mirrors and a ceramic coating on all of it to protect the paint. Particularly if you will hold onto this vehicle for a long time. Source: I have a 2022 Black X.
Thanks, makes sense, but there’s another 3k to factor in! I won’t have any extra cash after the purchase, so I’d be deferring that a while and, meantime, getting it nicked up. That’s vote number 2 for waiting as far as I’m concerned

Black is only the least purchased color because it cost the most money. Black used to be the free color on model 3s (the exact same black they use now), while white cost like $2500 or something (the same exact white they use now).

Black looks great when its clean, but it doesnt stay clean. Additionally, and specific to tesla, black tends to show more paint imperfections, swirls etc than lighter colors.

Tesla never said, but its my belief (and many others I think) that tesla swapped to making white free and black cost the most, to because black showed all the swirls and people were rejecting those at a high rate back then.

Yes, its model 3s i am talking about vs model Ys but its the same paint color.

I have had a black BMW, and I would never own a black car again, because I dont love doing car care. You have to either LOVE washing cars, or not care about your car always being dirty, to enjoy having a black car. That doesnt say anything at all about the fact that black shows more swirls etc.

If you were a "I want a black car" person, you would know it. Given just what you have said, there is NO WAY I would suggest you own a black car.

Reactions: GeoG and 808litt
Black is only the least purchased color because it cost the most money. Black used to be the free color on model 3s (the exact same black they use now), while white cost like $2500 or something (the same exact white they use now).

Black looks great when its clean, but it doesnt stay clean. Additionally, and specific to tesla, black tends to show more paint imperfections, swirls etc than lighter colors.

Tesla never said, but its my belief (and many others I think) that tesla swapped to making white free and black cost the most, to because black showed all the swirls and people were rejecting those at a high rate back then.

Yes, its model 3s i am talking about vs model Ys but its the same paint color.

I have had a black BMW, and I would never own a black car again, because I dont love doing car care. You have to either LOVE washing cars, or not care about your car always being dirty, to enjoy having a black car. That doesnt say anything at all about the fact that black shows more swirls etc.

If you were a "I want a black car" person, you would know it. Given just what you have said, there is NO WAY I would suggest you own a black car.
Very clear reasoning, I’m not a ‘love washing car guy’ and I would see the dirt and swirls and I’d be moderately annoyed, at myself for not washing more often! That’s three votes for waiting for blue and zero for the black

Last edited:
Just wait. It’s only 1-2 months. I’m guessing you thought hard about the color before you ordered it. You’ll regret the black. “I won’t have any extra cash after the purchase” is another good reason to save the $1k.
More clear reasoning! My thinking is definitely clouded by emotional desire for a Tesla and a vague fear that there will be (more) delays and the wait will be endless. I’m sure many of you folks can relate. Maybe I need to start a ‘hang in there, kid’ support post 😳

I have an opportunity to buy a black 2022 LRMY freshly delivered, not used, for about $1000 more than my late July- late August EDD for my preferred blue color. I do live in a warm climate, but blue is pretty dark, too. I’ve never owned a black car and am feeling a bit reluctant about getting one because of paint maintenance, more visible flaws etc. It’s also the least popular color, so resale value might be less, although I do plan on keeping it for a very long time (at least 10 years). How’s your experience with a black MY? Other black cars? Would you hesitate to buy a new or used MY if it was black?

Have you seen the blue in person. It looks very dark/dull to me.

Reactions: 808litt
This. I’ll never buy a black car again. Huge mistake. Looks awesome when paint is clean and perfect but that doesn’t last long. Even dust makes it look dingy. Swirl marks? You’ll never get rid of those.

Reactions: 808litt
I swore I would never buy a black vehicle till I bought one, LOL. If you aren't OCD about appearance at all times it's not bad. Here it is with some good honest Colorado mud on it.
0529191855.jpg