Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious as to where anyone would find the Tesla connector for the car end. Tesla doesn't sell it seperately, but I guess one could just buy a UMC to get it. I'm guessing that this connector is not going to be able to be produced for under $2k in any kind of small volume. How many people would buy it for $3k?

Couldn't you just cannibalize a J1772 adapter for the plug? Hell of a lot cheaper than buying a whole UMC.

Shop Tesla Gear SAE J1772

The expensive connector Phil is referring to is the Chademo female vehicle inlet connector, not the Model S side which can be fabricated with a $95 J-1772 to Tesla adapter.
Not a big deal, but I was still referring to qwk's query here: Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S - Page 58, not the Chademo female inlet connector. I would imagine those are standard, whereas Tesla's is "proprietary". In any case, just hoping such an adapter is built by someone, Tesla or otherwise.

Not a big deal, but I was still referring to qwk's query here: Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S - Page 58, not the Chademo female inlet connector. I would imagine those are standard, whereas Tesla's is "proprietary". In any case, just hoping such an adapter is built by someone, Tesla or otherwise.

Chademo is also proprietary and a large part of the cost is the licensing fee. The Male connector with attached cord costs over $3,000 currently. The female ends are only used by Nissan on the Leaf and Mitsubishi on the iMEV, they are not a "standard" off the shelf part.

The expensive connector Phil is referring to is the Chademo female vehicle inlet connector, not the Model S side which can be fabricated with a $95 J-1772 to Tesla adapter.
I just went out and looked at my J1772 adapter. I'm not so sure that adapting it to be used on a 50kw charging cable will be either easy or cheap. It looks like remanufacturing it to use in that application will cost some money.

My point is, the plugs on both ends will be quite expensive. The signal conversion box shouldn't cost too much to make, but that doesn't factor in the reverse engineering time to make it possible.

Because of the time, cost and effort involved to make one, I'm guessing that we won't see an aftermarket adapter until Tesla makes it clear that it isn't going to sell theirs in NA.

I just went out and looked at my J1772 adapter. I'm not so sure that adapting it to be used on a 50kw charging cable will be either easy or cheap. It looks like remanufacturing it to use in that application will cost some money.
The J1772 adapter is just a straight through adapter for each of the 5 pins, I believe - nothing special in it.
So it should be able to handle 80A - the real question: is it safe to use at up to 500VDC instead of 240VAC?

I suspect it is, so it should support around 30 kW charge rates on CHAdeMO (typical pack voltage is no higher than 400VDC, I believe). Definitely not a supercharger and only about 50% faster than twin-charging, but there are a lot more CHAdeMO chargers around than 70-80A J1772 stations...

The other alternative if you want to charge at full CHAdeMO speeds is to source the Tesla plug - one way to get the plug right now is to buy a HPC or mobile charger - sure that's $650-$1200, but it'd be nicer than using the J1772 adapter and if the rest of the CHAdeMO adapter already costs thousands, what's another thousand? :wink:

If the requisite adapters were available, would a 60kWh Model S without Supercharger access be able to use Chademo or SAE DC?

Since as we all know there is only a software difference in enabling supercharging, the answer is going to be whatever Tesla chooses. It depends whether they position the supercharger fee as enabling fast charging or getting access to the free superchargers. Nobody will know until they announce the adaptors (or more likely after they announce the adaptors without saying and people ask the question repeatedly). I agree the most likely answer is no.

That's pretty sad when a low volume motorcycle manufacturer can release a CHAdeMO adapter, and Tesla can't, or won't.
That's not an adapter, but rather an additional port (similar to the $700 option on the Leaf). On Zero motorcycles, even the level 2 charger is optional (it comes standard with level 1). The CHAdeMO option for the Zero motorcycle is only 10kW.

An actual adapter will cost more money because it has to translate between two different DC charging standards through the existing charging port on the Model S (rather than a direct connection to the battery contactors inside the car) and will have extra costs for the external power cabling.

Last edited: