Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SAE should adopt the Tesla connector for DC. Not that I'd think it is likely, but they should. Actually, same for Europe DC. The combo connectors are monsters which in their awkwardness defeat the purpose of having a single car-side plug.

I think it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, yet, that we heard that Tesla engineer(s) are working on a CHAdeMO adapter, even though it hadn't been decided whether it will become a product. From elsewhere we heard that one of the concerns is that Tesla isn't sure about CHAdeMO being there long-term. So at this point I think Tesla is focusing, at least in public, on long-term solutions. Which I think means: 90+ kW.

Tesla will want to be known as the company that makes cars which can charge 150 miles in 30 min. Even if there are downsides with current battery tech. That's also in preparation for building a brand image for Bluestar, as going to volumes of 200,000 will require full dedication.

So I think even if they already have a working CHAdeMO adapter prototype, they probably wouldn't tell us about it. Whatever the importance, from a practical point of view, for the near-term, the forward-looking product offering for long trips is the SuperCharger. As long as Tesla doesn't change these plans, and I wouldn't expect them to, they will likely not announce any secondary options, or discuss them in public, until the SuperCharger message has been conveyed and digested.

SAE should adopt the Tesla connector for DC. Not that I'd think it is likely, but they should. Actually, same for Europe DC. The combo connectors are monsters which in their awkwardness defeat the purpose of having a single car-side plug.
I agree for SAE, but not so much for Europe, because of 3-phase support. I think the decision for a combo plug is because of the existing commitment to J1772 and Mennekes for Level-2, so backwards compatibility becomes an issue.
Whatever the importance, from a practical point of view, for the near-term, the forward-looking product offering for long trips is the SuperCharger. As long as Tesla doesn't change these plans, and I wouldn't expect them to, they will likely not announce any secondary options, or discuss them in public, until the SuperCharger message has been conveyed and digested.
I think having a CHAdeMO adapter is better than not, but I get your point that Tesla wants to push the supercharger instead.

I agree for SAE, but not so much for Europe, because of 3-phase support. I think the decision for a combo plug is because of the existing commitment to J1772 and Mennekes for Level-2, so backwards compatibility becomes an issue.

In the case of "Europe DC", I'm just thinking of the DC part. With such a huge plug, there isn't a distinct advantage in having just a single plug. Using the TEsla Connector just for DC would still be a much more convenient solution. And, this way there could be a truly common standard for DC.

I think having a CHAdeMO adapter is better than not, but I get your point that Tesla wants to push the supercharger instead.

Or simply "first", not necessarily "instead".

I'am disapointed that Tesla move them selfe in a dead end with that small Plug and not enough space to adopt other standards ...

- Charge Port location - George say'd we will be suprised .. well I was , but not in a positiv way ...
- another Tesla unique Plug - again ???
- no space for other standards plugs - why ???
We are back to the connector discussion again :)

But to summarize the topic here:

We agree that is should be technically possible to create an adapter, but it could be a lot of work. The question is however if (safety) regulations would allow such an adapter, since it has to be capable of handling at least 50kW of power. You should not underestimate the fireworks 50kW can create.

If an adapter would be made, it has to come from Tesla, correct?

My fear is however (and I'm already hearing this) is that people assume the Model S can charge on a CHAdeMO charger since they don't know what CHAdeMO is, they only know that EV's can be fast charged and they think the standard is already there.

My biggest 'wish' is still 3-phase support, since that would be sufficient, but QC is always great to have. It would however be hard to explain to somebody and rather embarrasing that my 90k car can't fast-charge at the QC stations, while a 30k Leaf waves me goodbye after 30 minutes.

I also found this: Netwerk ANWB-laadpalen bijna klaar

Quick translation: The ANWB (dutch roadside assistance) will install 6 CHAdeMO chargers in the next couple of weeks and will increase the number to 56.

If I add up all the projects we'd be looking to about a 100 CHAdeMO chargers in only the Netherlands (which is smaller then CA!) by the end of 2012. (We currently have 1000+ public charging stations (3x16A ~ 11kW))

They are not compatible, however JB Sraubel recently said, speaking in Japan, that there maybe a CHAdeMO adapter if things develop in that direction.

Anyway, JB did at least say that it will be very easy for Tesla to produce a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S, X, etc., and they will of course produce one if that is the way the market is headed (which I think at this point everybody other than Tesla seems to agree on). So while it seems very unlikely (impossible?) that we are going to see direct CHAdeMO charging, at a minimum there will be an adapter so that CHAdeMO charging stations can be utilized. I also asked him if the Roadster would ever support CHAdeMO or any other sort of quick charging and the answer here was that almost certainly it would not . He said also that any sort of upgrade to the Roadster's charging system such as support for the Model S supercharger is also unlikely.

Couple of friends went to the test-drive event in Hawthorne today, and they both heard that there will be adapters for both CHAdeMO and SAE QC. I've quoted the relevant section of their post on MNL below. If this were true, it would be a game-changer. I'm still gasping for words... Is this company for real?

1.gif

I'm continuing the other CHAdeMO thread here with this post: Will there be an adapter to use Nissan's chademo charge points?

There will be adapters to allow both the 85 kWh battery, and the 60 kWh battery, if equipped with the Super-Charger option, to charge from CHAdeMo or SAE Quick Chargers. The 40 kWh battery will not have support for DC through the Tesla charging port.

That would be AWESOME! Europe is getting covered with those 50kW chargers, so that would really make it possible to ditch the ICE and go fully electric for 100% of my travel needs!

Let this be true :)

Generally the use any kind of adapters for currents higher then 32A is forbidden. Thats also the reason why CHAdeMO is a plug-cable system only with one side attached to the charger like the 70A HPC.
Tesla Model S has to provide a fix installed CHAdeMO socket within the car.

Generally the use any kind of adapters for currents higher then 32A is forbidden. Thats also the reason why CHAdeMO is a plug-cable system only with one side attached to the charger like the 70A HPC.
Tesla Model S has to provide a fix installed CHAdeMO socket within the car.

If use is forbidden, is sales also forbidden ? And if not, who's going to check how you charge ;)

That would be bad "Karma" I guess?

I just hope Tesla makes an announcement soon, I think we all want to know which adapters are going to be available (and not).
Yeh, really bad "Karma" :smile:

On a serious note I hope that Tesla employ some engineers who *really* understand electrical systems outside of the US. As Eberhard has stated their are legitimate reasons for avoiding adaptors on safety grounds. I worry that Tesla are digging themselves a hole that will cost them dear when someone has a disaster using an adaptor.