Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelihood of model 3 supporting ccs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d like to have the same info.

Even if in US it’s always nice to be able to use additional charges especially if there’s one at work or in a place where we spend our time.

To me having the opportunity to use additional standard is definitely another advantage that Tesla could leverage.
Example; if I want an electric car and my company is providing charging stations at work that are only compatible with CCS I would maybe oriented toward a car with these characteristic ( real case example)
The more chargers can be used the better for Tesla.

Reactions: afadeev
Are you saying a CCS or CHAdeMO car can do the Canadian cross country drive right now on currently installed chargers?

Can't do the Canadian cross country right now (quickly), I agree. I hope we can soon.

But what we can do right now is reach many remote area in Québec where there isn't any Superchargers for 100s of miles around.

Map of Tesla Supercharger in Québec:
YWoc2N2.png

Map of CHAdeMO/CCS chargers:
EeWwUWz.png

I understand Tesla isn't interested to build out the Superchargers network in some very remote area and that's why our governement built these public chargers. But it kinda sucks that a Leaf or a Bolt (and S & X) can travel pretty much anywhere and me with my Model 3 can't...

I know it's probably temporary but I thought after almost 2 years they would finally offer an adapter.

Last edited:
CCS and Chadmeo chargers take a normal person two hands to plug in
Tyrion, is that you? :p Seriously, a CCS plug is nowhere near as unwieldy as a Chademo plug and an be easily plugged in with one hand. It feels just like a regular J1772 plug.
and you have to use a card or your phone to activate the charger.
Actually CCS supports plug&charge (just like Tesla, except that it will work across different charging networks and car brands). Besides, I consider it an advantage if I can charge using just a credit card without having to sign up for an account etc. EA also supports Apple Pay and the Android equivalent, so you can just tap your phone to the charger and go.

Can't do the Canadian cross country right now (quickly), I agree. I hope we can soon.

But what we can do right now is reach many remote area in Québec where there isn't any Superchargers for 100s of miles around.

Map of Tesla Supercharger in Québec:
YWoc2N2.png

Map of CHAdeMO/CSS chargers:
EeWwUWz.png

I understand Tesla isn't interested to build out the Superchargers network in some very remote area and that's why our governement built these public chargers. But it kinda sucks that a Leaf or a Bolt (and S & X) can travel pretty much anywhere and me with my Model 3 can't...

I know it's probably temporary but I thought after almost 2 years they would finally offer an adapter.

I really don't understand why the CHAdeMO adapter doesn't support the 3.

There's no technical reason for it not to that I can see - and Tesla even designed the adapter with updateable firmware if they needed to change the handshake for some reason.

CCS seems more relevant for the future, and I'm hopeful that we'll see an adapter for it this year as well. Then I'll be able to use all the chargers!! (but realistically I'll still charge at home 90% of the time and at Superchargers for 99% of the rest.)

• Love
Reactions: cwmagui and lukex4
I have heard that the Model 3 will be able to use DC fast chargers in the near term. Whether that's Elon time or not, I'm not sure, it wasn't from someone at Tesla.

I personally think it's in Tesla's interest to allow it - more fast chargers, more options for Tesla vehicles to charge up.

I recently came across an Electrify America charging location in Ypsilanti, MI (near Detroit, off I-94) that was all setup, looked ready to go but wasn't turned on. It had 4 CCS (up to 350kw), 7 CCS (up to 150kw), and 1 CHADEMO (50 kw) It's the setup where you can't use them all at once. It could charge 6 vehicles at once. Looked nice - landscaped, striped and all ready to go.

Who told you 3s can't drive across country using Superchargers?

I've only read a couple dozen accounts of folks driving cross country in 3s using Superchargers in the last few months.

What country ?

Well, let’s see.

My username is Mexicanuck “Mexi” “Canuck”. I’m communicating with native-speaker English fluency, so it’s not likely that I am Mexican.

My public location is “Vancouver Island”. Vancouver Island is in Canada.

The link was to a charging system being established by Petro Canada.

The link has a map of Canada.

• Love
Reactions: cwmagui
CCS and Chadmeo chargers take a normal person two hands to plug in and you have to use a card or your phone to activate the charger. Going to the Tesla charger was an improvement in my quality of life.
Completely agree, SC is better, but that’s when you’re close to main highways/urban areas. When travelling to the countryside/cottage country and factor in winter and it’s not always a SC that’s available when you need a charge unfortunately.

Reactions: cwmagui
Well, let’s see.

My username is Mexicanuck “Mexi” “Canuck”. I’m communicating with native-speaker English fluency, so it’s not likely that I am Mexican.

My public location is “Vancouver Island”. Vancouver Island is in Canada.

The link was to a charging system being established by Petro Canada.

The link has a map of Canada.
So I'm guessing you are from....... Netherland :D

• Funny
Reactions: kayak1
ONE has been installed; the rest is vapor.

Is that your best example of how Tesla is behind competing networks ?

I don’t see this as an “either or” issue or a zero-sum competition. I see it as maximizing Tesla owners’ abilities to fast charge their vehicles. The one example I provided was from one company among many that provide or are developing level 3 charging.

Where I live, on Vancouver Island, there are two Tesla supercharger locations for an area of 31,285 sq kilometres. The distance between the only two Tesla supercharger locations is about 125 kilometres.

In contrast, one charging company alone has the following locations on Vancouver Island.
  • Campbell River community centre
  • Courtenay Superstore
  • Nanaimo Superstore
  • Pacific Rim Visitor Centre
  • Port Alberni No Frills
  • Qualicum Quality Foods
  • Sidney City Hall
I didn’t bother to look up other companies’ offerings on the Island.

I don’t doubt that Tesla does a wonderful job of its supercharger network in some places.

My point is that Tesla owners would be better served if Tesla owners could take advantage of all level 3 charging options where the supercharger network is weaker.

I don’t see this as an “either or” issue or a zero-sum competition. I see it as maximizing Tesla owners’ abilities to fast charge their vehicles. The one example I provided was from one company among many that provide or are developing level 3 charging.

Where I live, on Vancouver Island, there are two Tesla supercharger locations for an area of 31,285 sq kilometres. The distance between the only two Tesla supercharger locations is about 125 kilometres.

In contrast, one charging company alone has the following locations on Vancouver Island.
  • Campbell River community centre
  • Courtenay Superstore
  • Nanaimo Superstore
  • Pacific Rim Visitor Centre
  • Port Alberni No Frills
  • Qualicum Quality Foods
  • Sidney City Hall
I didn’t bother to look up other companies’ offerings on the Island.

I don’t doubt that Tesla does a wonderful job of its supercharger network in some places.

My point is that Tesla owners would be better served if Tesla owners could take advantage of all level 3 charging options where the supercharger network is weaker.

Now that they obviously have that programming and any policy issues sorted out for the EU, I don't think there's any argument against them offering an adapter at a price that covers whatever it costs to make it and any retrofit the car needs.

Reactions: lukex4
I don’t see this as an “either or” issue or a zero-sum competition.
Funny, the other 'MexiCanuck' said
A cross-country system of CCS & CHAdeMO chargers being installed, while Model 3 users can’t drive across the country using SCs.
Next time proof-read before you hit the post button. Then you will not have to dodge like a Trumper.

Moreover,
I can think of many uses for Tesla R&D money vastly more important than access to a charger in Milton for you or the other MexiCanuck ... who I am willing to bet has no use for it anyway since a Supercharger is a few minutes away.

Last edited:
Wait, I am confused here. I'm new to the Tesla fam (M3) but had no idea you could use any other charges besides SC and level 2 (which is so slow now). Are you saying there is additional adapters I can use to "fast charge" my M3? Someone catch me up here lol

can't in the model 3 yet, but there is a possibility that either the ccs or chademo chargers could be used if tesla makes appropriate adaptors. thats what the arguments is about when/if that will happen and if not, why ?

Wait, I am confused here. I'm new to the Tesla fam (M3) but had no idea you could use any other charges besides SC and level 2 (which is so slow now). Are you saying there is additional adapters I can use to "fast charge" my M3? Someone catch me up here lol
Not yet in N. America for the Model 3

Speculation is rampant that Tesla may one day offer adapters to other networks. If people care at all, they are usually rooting for CCS although Canucks have a better CHAdeMO network than the USA they would like to be able to use.

My personal guess is that CHAdeMO will be swapped out for CCS in the near future so if any adapter is going to be offered it will be CCS.

Reactions: calidreamz808

Model S & X can use an adapter to access CHAdeMO level 3 chargers. What most people want in this thread is the same (and/or CCS) to be available for the Model 3.

Not yet. Probably soon.

There's been a CHAdeMO adapter for the S/X for a few years, but for reasons no one has ever been able to explain to me, it doesn't work on the 3 at the moment.

EU 3s use CCS natively, and EU S/X can with an adapter Tesla recently announced and I believe hasn't shipped yet. I'm one of the many people expecting a CCS adapter for US cars in the next several months.

Looks great. Until you realize that most of those ones with the wrench are "coming soon" sites that you can't actually charge at today, with no definite timeline for when they'll be open that I can find.

Maybe they'll open before the Superchargers scheduled this year, and maybe not. Right now neither is an option...

That's the point. If Tesla had adapters, a Model 3 could travel across Canada using level 3 charging.