Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelihood of model 3 supporting ccs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could you? It seems like there are a lot of "opening soon" sites in the middle of the country that would allow it soon, but I didn't think any EV could right now.

By using both Superchargers and other level 3 stations you increase your opportunities for level 3 charging. Without the adapters, you're probably right. But that's the point of the entire thread. We want options. Don't you?

By using both Superchargers and other level 3 stations you increase your opportunities for level 3 charging. Without the adapters, you're probably right. But that's the point of the entire thread. We want options. Don't you?

Absolutely. Options are a great thing. Adapters should be made.

Adapters won't help in areas where there's no infrastructure of any type, and ignoring the current limitations of the alternative networks is also a problem.

Adapters won't help in areas where there's no infrastructure of any type, and ignoring the current limitations of the alternative networks is also a problem.

I don’t think anyone will argue that. That said, what seems to be happening frequently enough is that public initiatives don’t support the Tesla standard so there’s a good chance that upcoming builds in many places won’t be usable by tsla owners. Would be great to have that option when a SC isn’t available (even if another DCFC standard isn’t quite the same )

Reactions: cwmagui
1. From what I've seen when "Electrify America" gets built out, it will be similar to the SC network of 2015, with the exception that most locations will have only one or two stalls, rather than six or eight. I also hear reports that many of the ones already installed aren't working.

Exactly. EA is a “compliance” network as far as I am concerned, part of VWs pollution settlement. It may grow, but right now it’s vaporware. I searched Plugshare for EA locations in the STL area about 6 weeks ago. Unless things have changed, there are few and users have reported that many don’t work.

I don’t think anyone will argue that. That said, what seems to be happening frequently enough is that public initiatives don’t support the Tesla standard so there’s a good chance that upcoming builds in many places won’t be usable by tsla owners. Would be great to have that option when a SC isn’t available (even if another DCFC standard isn’t quite the same )

That's true, too.

The folks up above were taking an area where there's no infrastructure and both Tesla Superchargers and CCS are planned for the next year or so - and saying they need an adapter now because if they had it they could drive through that area now.

The failed logic annoys me, even though I'm very much on team adapter (I bought a CHAdeMO for my X that I've used three or four times over almost three years.)

• Disagree
Exactly. EA is a “compliance” network as far as I am concerned, part of VWs pollution settlement. It may grow, but right now it’s vaporware. I searched Plugshare for EA locations in the STL area about 6 weeks ago. Unless things have changed, there are few and users have reported that many don’t work.
Below maps of operational EA charger sites in a 300km radius around St. Louis (top) and Supercharger sites in the same region (bottom), created with Plugshare. Yes, there are a few more Supercharger sites, but given that EA started deploying their chargers less than a year ago while Tesla has been at it for 7 years, the effort doesn't look too shabby to me.

ea_stl.jpg

tsla_stl.jpg

Below maps of operational EA charger sites in a 300km radius around St. Louis (top) and Supercharger sites in the same region (bottom), created with Plugshare. Yes, there are a few more Supercharger sites, but given that EA started deploying their chargers less than a year ago while Tesla has been at it for 7 years, the effort doesn't look too shabby to me.

View attachment 413858

View attachment 413859
Yes, more choices for everyone will be good. Check-ins from users in Columbia, Sullivan, Independence, however, report problems with displays and nonoperational chargers.

Yes, more choices for everyone will be good. Check-ins from users in Columbia, Sullivan, Independence, however, report problems with displays and nonoperational chargers.
They did have some software issues initially, but from what I heard they are mostly fixed. I didn't check all the locations you mentioned, but on the Columbia, MO charger I only see "green" check-ins right now, and a note from EA that the single Chademo outlet is not active.

• Informative
Reactions: UTMB
...even though I'm very much on team adapter (I bought a CHAdeMO for my X that I've used three or four times over almost three years.)
I get it, it’s not super frequent when home charging does the trick, I think it’s natural to try to approximate the flexibility traditional fueling (just stop and top up when you notice you’re low) . Right now i’m visiting a suburb of Ottawa and got here low... I can kill time at a paid parking in a mall 15 miles out w/ 72kw SC that often doesn’t supply as much or drive 30 mi to a real 145kw SC ( hanging out w cattle :) ) or if I had CCS compatibility , meet friends for a drink at a local pub and have 90% charge when I walk out . I’m not stranded as a result of not having a CCS adapter, of course, but it would be convenient :) all in all, I know.... first world problems ....

Reactions: tschmidty
I’m not stranded as a result of not having a CCS adapter, of course, but it would be convenient :) all in all, I know.... first world problems ....

I appreciate your interest in more access to DC charging in Ottawa. It only makes sense that the value of Teslas would be enhanced by increased access to faster charging.

You have lots more accessibility to DC charging than we do on Vancouver Island. We have two supercharger locations within 110 km of each other, then nothing for the other hundreds of kilometres of the main highway.

In that same area there are 8-10 other high speed charger locations spread over 250+ kilometres.

Wait, I am confused here. I'm new to the Tesla fam (M3) but had no idea you could use any other charges besides SC and level 2 (which is so slow now). Are you saying there is additional adapters I can use to "fast charge" my M3? Someone catch me up here lol
Since this thread got bumped, CHAdeMO Adapter finally started working with the Model 3 a few months ago.

• Informative
Reactions: calidreamz808
Any updates on CCS adapters? I purchased CHAdeMO adapter and used it a couple of times, it has proven useful. Having CCS adapter would improve my options, there are now some quick chargers that only have CCS and not CHAdeMO.
I think there are hardware changes that preclude a simple adapter for CCS. But we use a different CCS than Europe so not sure what would be required in the US.

Reactions: cwerdna
I think there are hardware changes that preclude a simple adapter for CCS. But we use a different CCS than Europe so not sure what would be required in the US.

CCS 1 (what most chargers in the US support) is just a J1772 with two additinal lugs for DC high current. It should be pretty straight foward to create a CCS 1 to Tesla adapter from my understanding.

CCS 1 (what most chargers in the US support) is just a J1772 with two additinal lugs for DC high current. It should be pretty straight foward to create a CCS 1 to Tesla adapter from my understanding.

And a completely unrelated digital power line communication protocol based on homephy that has to be matched in the car.

Having said that, Tesla already did all the hard work to deliver CCS in the EU because it was required by law there.

Building an adapter to handle 300+ amps at 400V safely and developing the interface protocols is decidedly not straightforward, but they’ve mostly done it already and making an additional version for U.S. spec cars is relatively easy compared to what they’ve already done for the EU.

What I don’t know is whether they updated US charge ports when they updated the EU ones in May - right when the Raven updates we’re coming out, actually.

If not, all US cars will probably need a port replacement to use the adapter, like older EU cars do.

And a completely unrelated digital power line communication protocol based on homephy that has to be matched in the car.

Having said that, Tesla already did all the hard work to deliver CCS in the EU because it was required by law there.

Building an adapter to handle 300+ amps at 400V safely and developing the interface protocols is decidedly not straightforward, but they’ve mostly done it already and making an additional version for U.S. spec cars is relatively easy compared to what they’ve already done for the EU.

What I don’t know is whether they updated US charge ports when they updated the EU ones in May - right when the Raven updates we’re coming out, actually.

If not, all US cars will probably need a port replacement to use the adapter, like older EU cars do.
Is that any harder than making a ChaDemo adapter? I'm unfamiliar with the technical details of either.

The connector is just a mechanical connection between the charger and the car... As long as you size the connectors properly it is not difficult to re-pin the connector to adapt to the Tesla port. The hard part would be writting the software in the vehicle to properly communicate with the charger.

Also remember that CCS1 only supports up to 80kw charge rate with most stations topping out at just 50kw.