Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelihood of Performance Software Updates for LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to Tesla but I've heard many times that Tesla does offer performance upgrades via software update. Does Tesla focus more on their "performance" versions or do they support the "long range" versions just as much?

What is the likelihood that they would offer a software performance update for the Long Range versions of S and X? Many of us are feeling like they have limited their initial 0-30mph launch on these cars as they are very strong above 30mph. Have the long range models of S and X been supported with performance updates in the past just as much as the performance models?

I am strictly speaking software or firmware updates for the non-performance models. If anyone can help list them from the past years that would be great!

The Long Range 3 and Y have $2,000 Acceleration Boosts available that drop their 0-60 by roughly 0.5 seconds.

The LR 3 had a couple updates early on in its life that increased range and acceleration.

It's not impossible that Tesla would offer either a paid or free upgrade to the LR S.

Having that gap between the LR and Plaid creates incentive for people to upgrade to the Plaid. If they dropped the LR S's 0-60 by the same 0.5 seconds, it'd be 2.6. Spitting distance of the Plaid. That'd reduce the number of people ponying up the extra cash.

But, that being said - the Perf 3 and LR S are tied at 3.1s (reported) 0-60. If they ever increase the performance of the 3, which is probably going to happen at some point, they may also increase the S as well to ensure that the S continues to have a slight edge over the 3 as it historically has (and likely commands due to its price difference).

The Long Range 3 and Y have $2,000 Acceleration Boosts available that drop their 0-60 by roughly 0.5 seconds.

The LR 3 had a couple updates early on in its life that increased range and acceleration.

It's not impossible that Tesla would offer either a paid or free upgrade to the LR S.

Having that gap between the LR and Plaid creates incentive for people to upgrade to the Plaid. If they dropped the LR S's 0-60 by the same 0.5 seconds, it'd be 2.6. Spitting distance of the Plaid. That'd reduce the number of people ponying up the extra cash.

But, that being said - the Perf 3 and LR S are tied at 3.1s (reported) 0-60. If they ever increase the performance of the 3, which is probably going to happen at some point, they may also increase the S as well to ensure that the S continues to have a slight edge over the 3 as it historically has (and likely commands due to its price difference).
I get that. I wish Tesla would go ahead and give them the .5 sec better acceleration, downplay it, maybe list it at 2.9sec. The plaid is 1.9sec.

I think people paying almost $50k more for the MS LR than the M3P would like to enjoy knowing they have the 2nd fastest sedan by Tesla :)

Technically the MSLR already is the 2nd fastest but you really need to do the 1/4 mile to really see it's performance.

I get that. I wish Tesla would go ahead and give them the .5 sec better acceleration, downplay it, maybe list it at 2.9sec. The plaid is 1.9sec.

I think people paying almost $50k more for the MS LR than the M3P would like to enjoy knowing they have the 2nd fastest sedan by Tesla :)

Technically the MSLR already is the 2nd fastest but you really need to do the 1/4 mile to really see it's performance.
They're already manipulating and downplaying the results in favor of the Plaid.

As per Tesla's website, and official specs, the Plaid has a 1.99s 0-60 with one foot rollout subtracted. The LR's 3.1s does not have that subtraction.

The Plaid has a 2.3s 0-60 without the one foot rollout subtraction: Tesla Model S Plaid First Test: 0–60 MPH in 1.98 Seconds*!

If they were to release an acceleration boost for the LR, it would close that 2.3s vs 3.1 gap even further. Once the LR gets into the 2.X range, there's likely going to be a number of people who see 2.X and figure that the LR is more than enough for them.

As per Tesla's website, and official specs, the Plaid has a 1.99s 0-60 with one foot rollout subtracted. The LR's 3.1s does not have that subtraction.

The Plaid has a 2.3s 0-60 without the one foot rollout subtraction: Tesla Model S Plaid First Test: 0–60 MPH in 1.98 Seconds*!

If they were to release an acceleration boost for the LR, it would close that 2.3s vs 3.1 gap even further. Once the LR gets into the 2.X range, there's likely going to be a number of people who see 2.X and figure that the LR is more than enough for them.
You’re probably right. I just wish they didn’t hold back the LR. After all in the Model X form exact same configuration there is only $10k difference now! So give us the performance it deserves. At this point they have marked up the LR so much they might just be making more money off the LR.

Problem is the average M3P is going to take the MS LR on the street. Many M3P's are beating their claimed time. Best I've seen for the MS LR is 3.18. Next best is 3.23. Source is the Dragy leaderboard so you have consistent approach and see the info on the runs.

If a random M3P and MS LR lined up on the street, I am putting my money on the M3P in a 0-60 run. My M3 LR w/boost isn't that much behind my MS LR TBH.

Tesla first needs to give us the promised performance. Make us whole so to speak, then let's talk about boost. I don't want to buy boost for my S just to get it to where I was promised it would be or just a little better.

Reactions: mscott
Problem is the average M3P is going to take the MS LR on the street. Many M3P's are beating their claimed time. Best I've seen for the MS LR is 3.18. Next best is 3.23. Source is the Dragy leaderboard so you have consistent approach and see the info on the runs.

If a random M3P and MS LR lined up on the street, I am putting my money on the M3P in a 0-60 run. My M3 LR w/boost isn't that much behind my MS LR TBH.

Tesla first needs to give us the promised performance. Make us whole so to speak, then let's talk about boost. I don't want to buy boost for my S just to get it to where I was promised it would be or just a little better.
It's not realistic to say that a random stop light race will stop exactly at 60mph. Who would do that unless it's a coordinated race that you both agreed to let off the throttle right at 60mph (which is even hard to do just from human reaction times). Both cars are accelerating hard and just an extra .5sec you will already be at 75-80. The LR will be ahead and pulling away hard by this point. Any rolling race the M3P is toast as well.

I do 100% agree to unlock the software torque limiter being put on the LR 0-30mph.

The Plaid is not 2.3s without the subtraction of rollout. It’s 2.16s. Go to 7:50 in this video. On the street, 21” stock wheels as far as I can tell.

Sure, but nobody does lower than a 9.2 quarter, correct? I’ve seen a few 2.1-2.2s listed without rollout, in any case.
The car is limited by the tires. To 60mph even the old Performance could hit about 2.4s with much less hp. This goes to show the Plaid can't even use all it's power until after 60mph which is where it really destroys other cars.

Another example is the 2,000hp Rimac faces the same issue to 60mph. You would expect 1.0sec based on specs (it's twice as powerful as the Plaid). But again it can only do so much by pushing the limits of tire adhesion. It's 0-60 is 1.85sec. After 60 though.....it will destroy the Plaid.

BTW here is something to think about. Because of the Plaid, we all have been looking at the long range as the "slow car".

Go back to last year where the Porsche Taycan Turbo S was THE fastest car, beating the Model S Performance. Now take a look at it's specs:

Taycan Turbo S
616hp (750hp with launch control overboost)
5101 lbs curb weight
0-60: 2.6sec
Power to weight: 6.80 hp/lbs

Tesla S Long Range:
670hp
4561lbs curb weight
0-60: 3.1sec

-----------------------

Taycan Turbo
616hp (670hp with launch control overboost)
5119 lbs
0-60: 3.0sec
Power to weight: 7.64 hp/lbs

Tesla Model X Long Range
670hp
5185 lbs
0-60: 3.8sec
Power to weight: 7.73 hp/lbs

Based on this some very interesting observations. The Taycan is heavy, as heavy as the Model X! I guess that's great for Tesla as they can make a 6/7 seat SUV be the same weight as Porsche's sedan coupe.

The Tesla Model S LR is the lightest car here, 540lbs lighter than the Turbo S!

The Model S LR as the exact same power to weight ratio as the Taycan Turbo S, yet is .7sec slower 0-60! This is why we all feel the LR is really being held back. Lets take this in for a moment....the LR has the same power to weight as last year's fastest car! Theoreticaly the LR should be able to be pushed to 0-60 2.6 sec but that would destroy Plaid sales. It is perfectly reasonable to for the LR to be in the 2.7/2.8 range though.

The Model X LR should be similar to Taycan Turbo with almost the exact same specs! Again the Model X is .8sec slower 0-60! The Model X should really be in the low 3s instead of the high 3s.

We need that unlock Tesla!

BTW here is something to think about. Because of the Plaid, we all have been looking at the long range as the "slow car".

Go back to last year where the Porsche Taycan Turbo S was THE fastest car, beating the Model S Performance. Now take a look at it's specs:

Taycan Turbo S
616hp (750hp with launch control overboost)
5101 lbs curb weight
0-60: 2.6sec

Tesla S Long Range:
670hp
4561lbs curb weight
0-60: 3.1sec

-----------------------

Taycan Turbo
616hp (670hp with launch control overboost)
5119 lbs
0-60: 3.0sec
Power to weight: 7.64 hp/lbs

Tesla Model X Long Range
670hp
5185 lbs
0-60: 3.8sec
Power to weight: 7.73 hp/lbs

Based on this some very interesting observations. The Taycan is heavy, as heavy as the Model X! I guess that's great for Tesla as they can make a 6/7 seat SUV be the same weight as Porsche's sedan coupe.

The Tesla Model S LR is the lightest car here, 540lbs lighter than the Turbo S!

The Model S LR as the exact same power to weight ratio as the Taycan Turbo S, yet is .7sec slower 0-60! This is why we all feel the LR is really being held back. Lets take this in for a moment....the LR has the same power to weight as last year's fastest car! Theoreticaly the LR should be able to be pushed to 0-60 2.6 sec but that would destroy Plaid sales. It is perfectly reasonable to for the LR to be in the 2.7/2.8 range though.

The Model X LR should be similar to Taycan Turbo with almost the exact same specs! Again the Model X is .8sec slower 0-60! The Model X should really be in the low 3s instead of the high 3s.

We need that unlock Tesla!
You’re simply not going to get it. Maybe for ~$15k you might, but I’d rule out anything like the $2k boost the 3 and Y get.

Reactions: fetar30310
You’re simply not going to get it. Maybe for ~$15k you might, but I’d rule out anything like the $2k boost the 3 and Y get.
For the Model X, the LR 6 seater is only $10k less than the Plaid 6 seater! I would say $5k is reasonable to take off .5 sec 0-60.

The Plaid is only offered in 6 seater configuration whereas the LR is offered in 5, 6, or 7 seat configurations.

I could have gotten the X Plaid but just could not deal with the 6 seater that everyone seems to love so much....which I really really dont get it. Everyone says it's amazing....have they been a minivan lately? Pretty sure the minivan invented the concept of 2 captain chairs in the 2nd row, except in minivans they actually make it useful by folding down (plus offer a much larger 3rd row). The 6 seater doesn't fold down in the X. To top it off, I have 2 medium sized dogs and they fit perfectly on a bench seat (which you get with the 5/7 seater). How am I supposed to stick them on captain chairs?

Sure I didnt buy my cars for my dogs but they are family and if I can't haul them around, what's the point of a large car like the X. My other car is a 2 seater and I definitely can't put them in there. As a matter of fact even the Model S is more useful for me than the X 6 seater.

The 5/7 seater on the X is way more useful because the seats fold down plus you get a bench seat! This is why I'm so interested in maximizing the power of the Long Range. I wanted the Plaid and couldn't get it for it's lack of usefulness with the 6 seats. If they come out with the 5/7 seat Plaid I'll trade up. Either that or unlock the power that is purposely being held back 0-30 on the LR. Sure it still wont be as fast as the Plaid but it'll be pretty good at that point. I'd be more than happy with a Porsche Taycan Turbo acceleration in my family SUV ;)

If they boost the LR what is the reason to get the plaid anymore? The LR will give you all the performance you can legally use on the street and more.
One could make that argument now. The LR is nearly 700hp 😉

It’s because there is still a difference between 0-60 of 2.1 v 0-60 2.7. Of course the 1/4 is really crazy on the Plaid too. It’s for people to have the feeling of driving the fastest car in the world. Some people need to have the best/fastest.

Comparing the MS LR to the Taycan while interesting, doesn't show how the acceleration stacks up on the street. The MS LR has a claimed 3.1 0-60 time. It doesn't meet it. The Porsche will easily meet, or beat, its claimed time. Numerous vids on the Porsche prove this out. My friends will easily meet his times, usually beat them, at least for a 2 runs. Most of the times anyone has gotten with the LR are about 3.3.

I've made so many runs I've lost count. Absolute best is 3.28. Never to be matched again. Most of my runs are in the mid 3.3x range. So that puts an almost .5 second gap against the Porsche (which likely will run 2.9 to 60). Drive the Porsche back to back with the LR and you will see how much softer the LR launches and then when rolling will run away from it. We are getting screwed from the starting and not getting the performance we were promised.

I want my "as promised" performance first before I think about boost. I shouldn't have to pay for boost to just get what I was promised. This is the one thing that pi$$es me off about my car more than anything other than possibly the yoke but that is a topic for the countless other threads we have on that.

Comparing the MS LR to the Taycan while interesting, doesn't show how the acceleration stacks up on the street. The MS LR has a claimed 3.1 0-60 time. It doesn't meet it. The Porsche will easily meet, or beat, its claimed time. Numerous vids on the Porsche prove this out. My friends will easily meet his times, usually beat them, at least for a 2 runs. Most of the times anyone has gotten with the LR are about 3.3.

I've made so many runs I've lost count. Absolute best is 3.28. Never to be matched again. Most of my runs are in the mid 3.3x range. So that puts an almost .5 second gap against the Porsche (which likely will run 2.9 to 60). Drive the Porsche back to back with the LR and you will see how much softer the LR launches and then when rolling will run away from it. We are getting screwed from the starting and not getting the performance we were promised.

I want my "as promised" performance first before I think about boost. I shouldn't have to pay for boost to just get what I was promised. This is the one thing that pi$$es me off about my car more than anything other than possibly the yoke but that is a topic for the countless other threads we have on that.
Agree. I made comparison to the Taycan to show that the LR is being held back. On specs, the LR has the same power to weight ratio as the top model Taycan Turbo S. Yet the LR is .5 sec behind the the Turbo S....and in reality probably .6/.7 sec behind in 0-60. They put on a software limiter on launch and that just needs to be removed.

Tesla should offer the following:
  1. Update to improve launch (free update that removes the software limiter) - This should reduce 0-60 by about .2 sec. and bring 0-60 times to 3.0/3.1 sec instead of 3.2/3.3 sec.
  2. Acceleration Boost Upgrade ($5,000) - adds 50-75hp and reduces 0-60 by .5 sec just like they did for Model 3/Y LR. This will bring the 0-60 time down to 2.6/2.7sec.

Some people may think this is unreasonable but it's not. It's just as reasonable as it was for Model 3/Y Long Range and they did it for those cars. For me I wanted a Model X with fold flat seats + bench seat and that is simply not even available on the Plaid. The new Long Range should really get close to matching the 0-60 of the old "Performance". I was willing to pay for the Plaid but not with 6 seats.

And lets not forget that the LR is not a bargain anymore. The Model X long range base (no options will cost you about $121k!) For that kind of money, improved performance is justified. Note that for Model X, there is only a $10k price difference between LR and Plaid.

Last edited:
The Turbo S should have more power available on launch mode than the LR. I believe its 750 but otherwise same as the turbo non S 670.

Tesla needs to make things right with the LR at no cost. Was watching some 0-60 dragy runs on YouTube and couldn’t believe how soft the 0-30 was. Then it took off like a bat out of hell.

The Turbo S should have more power available on launch mode than the LR. I believe its 750 but otherwise same as the turbo non S 670.

Tesla needs to make things right with the LR at no cost. Was watching some 0-60 dragy runs on YouTube and couldn’t believe how soft the 0-30 was. Then it took off like a bat out of hell.
Tesla can make the LR match the top model Taycan Turbo S if they wanted. It’s 500lbs lighter than the Porsche. Plus they are holding back the 0-30