Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately I have been seeing very poor 3G signal or no signal at all where it used to be just fine. Also takes a long time to connect to cellular initially and even then navigation many times doesn’t work (‘network error’). Paired with audio stuttering and turn signal dropouts I am beginning to think I am hit by the eMMC issue.

Do you guys agree? How can I get this fixed in the D.C. area. I would be comfortable taking the MCU out I think if I had to.

what is the cost for an MCU upgrade?

Starts at about $79,990 right now.

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 1.33.30 PM.png

Yw.

No response from DIY about the Cloudflare bug yet, so I can't finish the Rooting article.

What about a Wiki? Shouldn't you be able to write anything you wanted there without any censorship? Or github?

If you want help translating material to markdown, I'm willing to help in my spare time. I know writing and formating can take A LOT of time.

For those that are not comfortable taking their dash and MCU apart, I have teamed up with Tony. I'll come to you, take the chip out but leave your car in a state in which you can drive it. I get the chip to Tony to be replaced with the new one. Then I bring it back to you and put everything back together.
Hi David, I just sent you a conversation thread with two issues I'm having. I think this is one of them. Can you please confirm.

Reactions: TonyT and David99
Lately I have been seeing very poor 3G signal or no signal at all where it used to be just fine. Also takes a long time to connect to cellular initially and even then navigation many times doesn’t work (‘network error’). Paired with audio stuttering and turn signal dropouts I am beginning to think I am hit by the eMMC issue.

Do you guys agree? How can I get this fixed in the D.C. area. I would be comfortable taking the MCU out I think if I had to.

I had everything except the turn signal dropouts (?) for 3 months before my failure. I wrote it off in my mind as either an AT&T or 3G card issue. I've been doing a lot of audio streaming which probably accelerated the eMMC failure.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99

It's not a matter of "if the emmc is wearing out?" The real question is "How worn out is the emmc, and when will it totally fail?" The goal is to have a emmc in the car that will fail long after the car is totally dead. Not every 3-8 years.

Hi Chris, it does look like this is a worn out emmc. If your interested I can send you details. You can probably find a trusted stereo installer in your area to remove the mcu for you if your not comfortable. The Terga (board emmc is on) can be sent by itself and you can continue limited use of the car, mentioned in thread and details in email I can send you.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I'm sorry if this has been discussed somewhere in the thread but does the service center have a way of checking the eMMC health and if they do, how do they report it? Do they just say that "it is ok" or something like "it's worn but not that bad"?
I went to the SC yesterday to schedule an appointment. I talked to the lady scheduling my appointment about the EMMC and she said that mine was still healthy. I don’t know if she was telling the truth or not. When I take my car in, I will ask if she can let me take a picture of the screen she was looking at.

Anyone know if UI oddities are a sign of eMMC failure or more of a software issue?

I have had my March 2015 P85D with 35,000 miles for a little over a month. I get images like the attached randomly about every 5 days or so.

I have an appointment with the SC. Got a text from the service manager and I asked if this could be a failure of the eMMC. His "I'm not sure what the eMMC is" response was less than impressive. This won't end well

Screenshot_20191204-215638.png

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this has been discussed somewhere in the thread but does the service center have a way of checking the eMMC health and if they do, how do they report it?

Filesystem errors are in the logs. They could develop a simple script to grep the logs and track and report pending death up to the mothership... if they wanted to.

Somehow I suspect this is NOT something they want to be proactive about... better to wait until fails... hopefully after your warranty has expired, then charge you $2500 to replace it.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Anyone know if UI oddities are a sign of eMMC failure or more of a software issue?

I have had my March 2015 P85D with 35,000 miles for a little over a month. I get images like the attached randomly about every 5 days or so.

I have an appointment with the SC. Got a text from the service manager and I asked if this could be a failure of the eMMC. His "I'm not sure what the eMMC is" response was less than impressive. This won't end well

View attachment 484814

Have you noticed any of the following:

· Center display (MCU) is black and wont power on
· Bluetooth connection drops
· 3G/LTE connection lost frequently where signal should be good
· Maps drawing slow
· MCU unresponsive
· MCU reboot randomly
· Stuttering streaming music (cached on eMMC)
· Age, the eMMC has a finite amounts of writes available

That small scrambled part could be the signs above are much more common. 2015 eMMC on it's way out is within the range. Most the cars I work on are 2012-14, but I've had a couple of 2016 and 2017 cars, so yours can be on it's way out. Actually I'm currently working on a 2015, the emmc is 1/2 used up on the writes, and really slow on writes now. The new one is so much faster, by a factor of 30x increase in write speeds. .7M a sec with dieing one, and 25M a sec with the new one.