TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jkaufm32, May 15, 2019.

1. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

For those of you who are aviators, just think “partial panel”. :)

Bruce.

• Like x 1
  2. Jkaufm32

Jkaufm32 Member

Car is done. As I suspected the MCU was bad.

Attached Files:

3. demundus

demundus Active Member

You got a re manufactured one... just making sure you know :) (dunno if thats good or bad)

4. Jkaufm32

Jkaufm32 Member

How do you know?

5. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

says REMAN after the part. I doubt they still make new ones though.

6. Jkaufm32

Jkaufm32 Member

Lol I should have caught that

7. WolfHowl

WolfHowl Member

It appears you've won the race as my car is still at the SC with its inability to connect to bluetooth :). Here is a screenshot of my invoice from the SC which also lists the MCU as a REMAN - 2019-05-22_2110.

8. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

At least you had the old MCU, so your instrument cluster was working. In the new design, when the main screen dies, the instrument cluster goes with it, you wouldn't even be able to tell how fast you're going, have your lights on, etc.

As far as your experience, I would rate it as as pretty good. Things do break, that's part of life, so as long as you got a loaner and your car back in few days, I say all is well.

9. Jkaufm32

Jkaufm32 Member

Yea I didn’t think I was in a terrible situation.

This definitely wasn’t to complain it was more so to let everyone know in similar situations what may happen.

10. Fleer

Fleer Member

I live about 5 hours from a service center, does anyone know if this is something a mobile ranger can do?

11. Jkaufm32

Jkaufm32 Member

Mine was at the service center for 10 days. I don’t believe this can be fixed mobile.

12. TJtv

TJtv Member

Many people are even reporting that Tesla is refusing to fix the yellow screen border issues when the car is still IN-WARRANTY!

13. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

Had to have the one in my S100D (now sold and awaiting my Raven SP+L to be delivered) In Janutary. They didn’t use a remanufactured one but mine was totally dead upon arrival at the SC

298B2DCA-DD85-4B26-B607-1F8139A98CB5.png

14. scottm

scottm Version 9 software sufferer

Sure it can.

My original (lasted less than a year) was swapped out in a garage bay. This is where I learned about those pump-up inflatable expansion jacking pads (about 6 inches square), they slip them in under the dash top shelf to carefully pop up the top shelf, so as not to bend the aluminum trim strip along there.

I upgraded to LTE at the same time, since it's a just daughterboard in the process.

Did 2 door handles in the same visit, while the MCU was being flashed with the newest software via laptop.

• Informative x 4
  15. Jkaufm32

Jkaufm32 Member

Finally have the car back after 10 days.

I don't think 10 days (including weekends) was very long. While they had the car they replaced the entire MCU, replaced an air bag (recall), steering rack bolts (recall), and some drain plugs in the trunk area.

They gave me a Model S P85+ loaner for the whole time my car was in the shop. I've already received an email from the SC making sure everything is good with the car and wanted to make sure my experience was good, which it was.

There is definitely an underlying issue (the EMMC), but from the service side of things I was treated very well and they didnt keep the car for very long considering what they had to do.

Everything was covered under warranty and I walked away spending $0. I'm hoping service will be like this all the time.

I liked the P85+, but definitely missed my car.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  16. AaronP85D

AaronP85D New Member

My 2015 P85D with 85k miles has an MCU that is failing slowly due to flash memory failure. It stopped taking updates about 2 months ago (fails on every attempt to update) and now NAV is disabled. I can see the map, but if I click navigate it just says I need to go to service center.

I was hoping I could find a place that could fix the flash memory component, but that doesn't look like an option. It sucks to buy a whole new computer because a $20 memory chip failed -- due to a bad design that writes verbose logs to flash memory. I understand why the memory was soldered on -- it has sensitive security info and they don't want to make the car too easy to root/steal. They just shouldn't have put data on there that doesn't need to be secure. Send logs and NAV data to the removable SD card. So many great things about this car, but this was a very stupid design decision.

$2800 for parts and labor. When I asked to keep the old computer they say I have to pay an additional $500 "core" charge. I know they are just going to refurb my computer by replacing the flash memory and sell it to someone else for $2500. I hope this makes Tesla profitable.

• Informative x 1
  17. scottm

Sweet you got the loaner. I heard this might be a dwindling offer.

18. scottm

Are you sure updates are failing for MCU reasons? You have one loose plug somewhere on the car that prevents updates, such as the drivers' seat motor connector by the front right corner. Just sayin'

There is a guy or two who can do memory repair on these boards.

Never heard of the core cost before from Tesla. I you have an invoice with a new part price, that's what you pay. Any old parts are yours when you're off warranty and it's not safety / recall related. I always have old parts returned to me.

Back when I had my MCU replaced, it was warranty.

19. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

You can always send the Tegra board by mail to somebody who can fix it for you.

International shipment would work if you send it to the Netherlands. I know somebody how can fix it for you.

Total will be far less then $2800

• Like x 2
  20. scottm

It's more than and straight chip replace, there's data that needs to be salvaged and moved over.. you still up to it?