Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car is done. As I suspected the MCU was bad.

Attachments

• C1EDA2BE-2015-4EFB-9802-6B04F4EAC37C.jpeg
    C1EDA2BE-2015-4EFB-9802-6B04F4EAC37C.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 320
The one problem I had was the car was basically useless other than moving. I couldn't see out of any window since I couldn't turn on the defroster. I had to open most of the windows in the pouring rain which I was not a fan of doing.
At least you had the old MCU, so your instrument cluster was working. In the new design, when the main screen dies, the instrument cluster goes with it, you wouldn't even be able to tell how fast you're going, have your lights on, etc.

As far as your experience, I would rate it as as pretty good. Things do break, that's part of life, so as long as you got a loaner and your car back in few days, I say all is well.

At least you had the old MCU, so your instrument cluster was working. In the new design, when the main screen dies, the instrument cluster goes with it, you wouldn't even be able to tell how fast you're going, have your lights on, etc.

As far as your experience, I would rate it as as pretty good. Things do break, that's part of life, so as long as you got a loaner and your car back in few days, I say all is well.

Yea I didn’t think I was in a terrible situation.

This definitely wasn’t to complain it was more so to let everyone know in similar situations what may happen.

Umm? What? Tesla is not covering the MCU display leaking or yellow border issues out of warranty. (Unless they happened, and were documented, while in warranty and they were waiting for updated parts to do the replacement.

Many people are even reporting that Tesla is refusing to fix the yellow screen border issues when the car is still IN-WARRANTY!

Mine was at the service center for 10 days. I don’t believe this can be fixed mobile.

Sure it can.

My original (lasted less than a year) was swapped out in a garage bay. This is where I learned about those pump-up inflatable expansion jacking pads (about 6 inches square), they slip them in under the dash top shelf to carefully pop up the top shelf, so as not to bend the aluminum trim strip along there.

I upgraded to LTE at the same time, since it's a just daughterboard in the process.

Did 2 door handles in the same visit, while the MCU was being flashed with the newest software via laptop.

Finally have the car back after 10 days.

I don't think 10 days (including weekends) was very long. While they had the car they replaced the entire MCU, replaced an air bag (recall), steering rack bolts (recall), and some drain plugs in the trunk area.

They gave me a Model S P85+ loaner for the whole time my car was in the shop. I've already received an email from the SC making sure everything is good with the car and wanted to make sure my experience was good, which it was.

There is definitely an underlying issue (the EMMC), but from the service side of things I was treated very well and they didnt keep the car for very long considering what they had to do.

Everything was covered under warranty and I walked away spending $0. I'm hoping service will be like this all the time.

I liked the P85+, but definitely missed my car.

Ugh this thread gives me a dreaded feeling. I feel like mine is a ticking clock now. April 2015 85D with 109,000 miles stilling running on the original MCU.

My 2015 P85D with 85k miles has an MCU that is failing slowly due to flash memory failure. It stopped taking updates about 2 months ago (fails on every attempt to update) and now NAV is disabled. I can see the map, but if I click navigate it just says I need to go to service center.

I was hoping I could find a place that could fix the flash memory component, but that doesn't look like an option. It sucks to buy a whole new computer because a $20 memory chip failed -- due to a bad design that writes verbose logs to flash memory. I understand why the memory was soldered on -- it has sensitive security info and they don't want to make the car too easy to root/steal. They just shouldn't have put data on there that doesn't need to be secure. Send logs and NAV data to the removable SD card. So many great things about this car, but this was a very stupid design decision.

$2800 for parts and labor. When I asked to keep the old computer they say I have to pay an additional $500 "core" charge. I know they are just going to refurb my computer by replacing the flash memory and sell it to someone else for $2500. I hope this makes Tesla profitable.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and GSP
Finally have the car back after 10 days.

I don't think 10 days (including weekends) was very long. While they had the car they replaced the entire MCU, replaced an air bag (recall), steering rack bolts (recall), and some drain plugs in the trunk area.

They gave me a Model S P85+ loaner for the whole time my car was in the shop. I've already received an email from the SC making sure everything is good with the car and wanted to make sure my experience was good, which it was.

There is definitely an underlying issue (the EMMC), but from the service side of things I was treated very well and they didnt keep the car for very long considering what they had to do.

Everything was covered under warranty and I walked away spending $0. I'm hoping service will be like this all the time.

I liked the P85+, but definitely missed my car.

Sweet you got the loaner. I heard this might be a dwindling offer.

My 2015 P85D with 85k miles has an MCU that is failing slowly due to flash memory failure. It stopped taking updates about 2 months ago (fails on every attempt to update) and now NAV is disabled. I can see the map, but if I click navigate it just says I need to go to service center.

I was hoping I could find a place that could fix the flash memory component, but that doesn't look like an option. It sucks to buy a whole new computer because a $20 memory chip failed -- due to a bad design that writes verbose logs to flash memory. I understand why the memory was soldered on -- it has sensitive security info and they don't want to make the car too easy to root/steal. They just shouldn't have put data on there that doesn't need to be secure. Send logs and NAV data to the removable SD card. So many great things about this car, but this was a very stupid design decision.

$2800 for parts and labor. When I asked to keep the old computer they say I have to pay an additional $500 "core" charge. I know they are just going to refurb my computer by replacing the flash memory and sell it to someone else for $2500. I hope this makes Tesla profitable.

Are you sure updates are failing for MCU reasons? You have one loose plug somewhere on the car that prevents updates, such as the drivers' seat motor connector by the front right corner. Just sayin'

There is a guy or two who can do memory repair on these boards.

Never heard of the core cost before from Tesla. I you have an invoice with a new part price, that's what you pay. Any old parts are yours when you're off warranty and it's not safety / recall related. I always have old parts returned to me.

Back when I had my MCU replaced, it was warranty.

You can always send the Tegra board by mail to somebody who can fix it for you.

International shipment would work if you send it to the Netherlands. I know somebody how can fix it for you.

Total will be far less then $2800

You can always send the Tegra board by mail to somebody who can fix it for you.

International shipment would work if you send it to the Netherlands. I know somebody how can fix it for you.

Total will be far less then $2800

It's more than and straight chip replace, there's data that needs to be salvaged and moved over.. you still up to it?