TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jkaufm32, May 15, 2019.

1. demundus

demundus Active Member

@tedsk is in the USA and did mine, turned it around really quick

2. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

See: Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

There is no 100% guarantee it will work, but I know skilled people who could do this.

• Helpful x 1
  3. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried to just replacing the EMMC chip, then taking it to service to reflash a new image? If they ask what happened, don't tell them you replaced the EMMC, just tell them one day this just happened. EMMC's do fail (erase themselves) when unpowered in high heat for a while.

4. X-Care EV

X-Care EV Vendor

This would be a $3,500 replacement cost if you were out of warranty. We have already paid a couple claims for MCU replacements.

• Informative x 3
  5. demundus

demundus Active Member

If you're capable of replacing the chip, you're probably capable of copying the image over np

6. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

Not if the EMMC chip is dead. Also, I have a rework station at home and I can take a BGA off and put a new one on, but it would take me a bit to create a setup to read a chip once off the board (socket it somehow, buy a BGA to pin header board and solder onto it, or solder wires to individual balls - all to provide power and route out emmc to an emmc contoller connected to a PC).

Reprogramming the EMMC should be cheaper out of warranty than replacing the entire MCU.

• Like x 1
  7. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

Save the planet Elon says, yet Tesla creates E-waste by the truck load because of bad programming and poor design choices.

8. jgwilson5

jgwilson5 New Member

My MCU just failed on my 2013 MS (46K miles). The 12V battery was replaced in March 2019. In August 2019 I got the "...replace 12V battery soon" message again. The battery had a 1 year warranty so the mobile service came to replace the battery at no cost to me.

After replacing the dying 5 month old battery with a new one, the Mobile Tech could not get the center display screen working again and told me that the car needed to go to the Service Center. The nearest one from Bellingham WA is about 60 miles away in Vancouver BC. My wife took it there and they said the MCU needed to be replaced at a cost of $4075 CDN. Ouch!

To confirm another post on this thread, when I requested keeping the old MCU I was told that I would have to pay a $675 CDN "core" fee to keep my old part.

I always thought than when you have already own something, that you don't need to pay someone to keep it? If I was Tesla's attorney, I would advise them to add the "core" charge to the the MCU price and offer customers $675 CDN to buy back the old part.

9. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Core charges are standard for "valuable" parts in the automotive world. Some places do like you say and include the core charge in the price of the unit and then give the customer a core-return credit. Others list the core charge as a separate line item. The end cost is the same so either seems fine to me.

• Helpful x 1
  10. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Wow. I keep wondering if I should proactively replace my 12v because it's over 7 years old. But I keep thinking the older ones must have been better build than the newer ones. How much did it cost to get the 12v replaced? And did mobile replace your 1st one?

Btw, I just had my MCU on my 2013 also replaced. Fortunately, under the ESA though. Hoping it lasts another 7 years.

11. jgwilson5

jgwilson5 New Member

Battery replacement was $210 parts plus $30 labor + tax (Canadian). So about $185 US + tax. The first replacement was in the Vancouver BC service center as I needed other work done (tail light assembly replaced $525 CDN, tire pressure sensors replaced $734 CDN).

Mobile service can replace the 12V.

• Informative x 1
  12. da1stprince

da1stprince Member

This is the syosset location. I had that exact car as a loaner quite a few times.. Actually named it "return of the green hornet" back in March and just got it back last week... name was still there

• Like x 1
  13. da1stprince

da1stprince Member

Off topic but I just had my main display replaced for bubbles in the screen and hoping that my mcu doesn't go bad after then next 3k miles when my warranty is up

14. jgwilson5

jgwilson5 New Member

Actual price came in lower at $3,494.50 CDN for parts and labor. that's about $2700 US + tax.

• Informative x 1
  15. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Don't need to go to all that trouble:

2019-09-07_15-11-38_722_small.jpg
    2019-09-07_15-16-17_529_small.jpg

And not that expensive:

All Socket DS3000

Note that the original Hynix chips don't like the All Socket SD-slot based programmer...

More HERE

• Helpful x 3
  16. StarLog

StarLog Supporting Member

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  17. BoloMKXXVIII

BoloMKXXVIII New Member

• Informative x 3
  18. StarLog

StarLog Supporting Member

So, maybe we should initiate a class action for this to get fixed. I have no idea how to do that, but will help if it makes any difference.

19. Vinc

Vinc Member

#79 Vinc, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  20. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1 at least.
    Jalopnik references Business Insider (never a good move) who got their material from this forum. Best to search around here first.

• Like x 1