Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update - strangely, my car was acting normal today and center screen had no glitches. Service center tech called me this afternoon and said that they would push me the newer, just-released software version to see if it fixes the problem. He didn't think it was the eMMC.

Downloading the update as I'm typing, so keeping fingers crossed.
I had a software update as an attempted fix and was requested to keep logging the date/times. Had it logged on two separate service invoices. With no current issues found. But it eventually died. I think this is likely a way to save money and push the replacement out a bit.

Last edited:
I had a software update as an attempted fix and was requested to keep logging the date/times. Had it logged on two separate service invoices. With no current issues found. But it eventually died. I think this is likely a way to save money and push the replacement out a bit.
I’m not under warranty, so I see no reason why they would want to push it out. Car seems fine after software reloaded.

Interestingly enough, I spoke with a Tesla mobile ranger who told me they are noW replacing MCU 1 with MCU 2. He said they have an adapter for the plugs and you get the full on new MCU 2 when it is replaced. Is that true- not sure, but I asked the question 5 different ways and he was pretty confident. As an aside, was told that this may not be public knowledge. Anyone out there have ANY confirmatory evidence that this is the case? I am skeptical, so I’d like to see something definitive...

I just had my MCU1 replaced so I'm going to be disappointed if there is an upgrade available in the neat future, unless it's like triple the cost or something...

Flash RAM starts failing after a certain number of write cycles. The average driver drives an average number of miles per year and the RAM logs as average number of events so there is an average number of write cycles per year to the RAM and a MTTF but the TTF is random. It can happen earlier than 4 years or later than 4 years depending on how much you drive and how much logging was actually done.

Well I would assume then that @David99 has done his by now, David?

They won't. Nothing they could do except offer goodwill, which they did for quite some time to owners. Now most of these cars are onto their second and third owners, Tesla doesn't owe them anything.
I couldn't disagree more. This isn't an 80-year-old car company we're talking about here. This is a company that has been selling cars to the general public for about 7 years or so now. They also are a car company that is trying to shock the system and change the way things are done. If one of the largest selling points of this massive shift to technology is that your car is considered worthless and beyond support after only 5-6 years of ownership (by anyone) how much value do you think the general consumer will put into such a car?

They won't. Nothing they could do except offer goodwill, which they did for quite some time to owners. Now most of these cars are onto their second and third owners, Tesla doesn't owe them anything.

that is complete nonsense. So are you saying that if someone had Takata airbags in their car, but then sold the car, there is no need to replace the airbags anymore? What kind of thinking is that?

Reactions: Hoffa and StarLog

This is something that should (and probably will) cause a safety recall. If the eMMC fails while driving, the lack of window defog/defrost is a huge safety issue. Cars have been recalled for far smaller problems.

This is something that should (and probably will) cause a safety recall. If the eMMC fails while driving, the lack of window defog/defrost is a huge safety issue. Cars have been recalled for far smaller problems.

I haven't seen any of the Fords with failing climate control systems getting recalled... Even when defrost doesn't work. It isn't like the windows instantly fog up when the system fails.

I couldn't disagree more. This isn't an 80-year-old car company we're talking about here. This is a company that has been selling cars to the general public for about 7 years or so now. They also are a car company that is trying to shock the system and change the way things are done. If one of the largest selling points of this massive shift to technology is that your car is considered worthless and beyond support after only 5-6 years of ownership (by anyone) how much value do you think the general consumer will put into such a car?

that is complete nonsense. So are you saying that if someone had Takata airbags in their car, but then sold the car, there is no need to replace the airbags anymore? What kind of thinking is that?

0.5.) Roadster started selling in 08... so they've been building and selling cars for over a decade now. Also, ask the original roadster owners how Tesla service and support is ten years later?

1.) Your car isnt worthless, you just aren't getting freebies. 6 years later and I would expect "good service" if i paid for it, but nothing more than that outside my warranty terms. My MCU has failed twice, i took matters into my own hands after i got a service quote from them. If you dont think I went to war with Tesla over the fact my screen and MCU failed three years ago, you're wrong. But I now realize that the out of warranty support is expensive, and there exists a network of people with skills to do this for me for a better price. Tesla jacks up the price because... its a "tesla", and not simply a chip soldered to a board that lots of people can handle.

2.) Airbags vs a faulty computer. The computer isnt needed to drive. If the NHTSA decides that the MCU is a safety issue, then I'm sure Tesla would step up. Thats government regulation; but otherwise if you choose to fog up your own windows because you cant be bothered to crack them... I don't know what to tell you. My 1992 civic's defroster was broken and I didn't go nuts at Honda for it.

Things break, solutions exist. I knew (you all know) the terms of the warranty when you bought the car... and if you bought it secondhand, I would expect those points to be moot anyway. I will rally behind those who are wronged by Tesla, they pull some really stupid *sugar*, and are a very "immature" vehicle manufacturer. There are times when I wonder if they will be around ten years from now, the way their business runs... But I wouldn't expect EXTRA just because it was "expensive" or they are "new". Keep in mind, a lot of goodwill you get on your non-Tesla cars are DEALERSHIP margins, not manufacturer margins. The dealer wants to keep you happy and coming back... so they'll eat service and defects here and there so you build loyalty and like them. Tesla is a corporation whose business is making new cars. I'm not saying this to be bitter nor is it fact whatsoever BUT... you can't deal directly with the MFG and expect the extra "dealership" customer service mile. The goals aren't exactly aligned between business models.

I think if Tesla doesn’t offer a recall/extended warranty for the eMMC issue it will be a disservice to so many loyal customers. Resale value will definitely take a hit as these problems get more and more publicity like we have seen in the past week.

Why would you think that? Elon publicly stated the issue has been "fixed", and for now it seems to be less severe and will extend the lift of the MCU for much longer than previously thought.

I sort of equate this kind of comment to the Ford truck diesel issue. Everyone generally knows the 7.3L from the late 90's is gods gift to the ford F250/350/450. They made a change to a 6.7L sometime in the mid 2000s and the engine was plagued with horrible issues, so much so that complete failure is a real possibility in those motors. Ford did some TSBs but in the end nothing truly fixed it (as with most things, your mileage may vary, some people had no issues, but many had some). Everyone thought it was death to the diesel line... low reliability, low second hand value (as word spread). What did Ford do? Made more trucks, and eventually changed the engine, and no one batted an eye. Now folks just steer clear or do LOTS of research on the 6.7 before buying used, but Ford owes those folks nothing if the "known" issues pop up.

As with most production year vehicles, kinks get worked out, and life goes on. If you choose to buy a 2013 Tesla without doing serious research, I personally feel you earned whatever problems come your way. Check these forums for COUNTLESS "hey im gonna buy this 2013 tesla, what are the known issues?" threads. They are ~4 years and several hundred thousand vehicles away from the severe eMMC issues, so time will tell if it will actually haunt them, but for now its just an inevitability in what are likely MOSTLY second and third hand Teslas

I haven't seen any of the Fords with failing climate control systems getting recalled... Even when defrost doesn't work. It isn't like the windows instantly fog up when the system fails.

Hmm, possibly not. But occasionally on what seems like a nice spring or fall day, I will switch off the AC. And when I do, it often happens that the windshield fogs up within a few minutes, enough so that I have needed to activate the defrost or turn AC back on to clear it so I can see. (I realize the fog is from the moisture accumulated in the evaporator portion of the heater core and it will likely clear up eventually, but in the meantime I need to see out the windshield.) So if AC fails on a day with much moisture in the air, drivers could experience something similar.