Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, do i trust this drive in my car again? Or would it be smarter to buy a new one and re-load my music to that?

It might make sense to get a memory test program for the USB stick and run it through a few times to make sure the memory is solid, especially if there is any chance that the memory stick could be 'low grade' / faulty / mis-sized. Some corruption can happen in 'normal' use (unplug during write for example) so always a chance of it needing a fix of the FAT tables or whatever.

My 2017 MCU1 died at just under 2 years old and ~15k miles bricking the car in my garage.

That's annoying I'm sure.

Are you first owner or otherwise aware of the car's history? it would be interesting to know if the car had a high level of glitches during the past year or so. What sort of temperature climate is it used in? Do you make especially heavy (or light) use of the MCU in any way? Is it likely the failure coincided with an update?

Your post makes it sound like the failure was completely wthout warning. Were there possible hints at impending trouble?

Is it fixed now? Any obvious change in MCU behavior?

I have a 2019 MX that I bought about a month ago as a demo with ~1400 miles on it. As of this morning, both screens are black and the car has lost connectivity via the app, so Tesla can't remotely troubleshoot. I can drive the car, but without instruments. Seems like an MCU issue, possibly MMC caused.

Has anyone seen this happen on this new of a car? Or any other ways to reset the MCU?

I have a 2019 MX that I bought about a month ago as a demo with ~1400 miles on it. As of this morning, both screens are black and the car has lost connectivity via the app, so Tesla can't remotely troubleshoot. I can drive the car, but without instruments. Seems like an MCU issue, possibly MMC caused.

Has anyone seen this happen on this new of a car? Or any other ways to reset the MCU?

Just out of curiosity, do you have anything plugged into any of the USB ports, such as a memory stick? If you do, remove the memory stick and then try rebooting the MCU.
The only reason I mention that is that my own car had similar behavior and the service center diagnosed it as a fault in the memory stick or a corrupted file on it. Odds are, your case is different, but mentioning it "just in case...."

Reactions: quickstrike12
Just out of curiosity, do you have anything plugged into any of the USB ports, such as a memory stick? If you do, remove the memory stick and then try rebooting the MCU.
The only reason I mention that is that my own car had similar behavior and the service center diagnosed it as a fault in the memory stick or a corrupted file on it. Odds are, your case is different, but mentioning it "just in case...."

Thanks. I did have stuff plugged in, but I removed them and tried rebooting. Still black screens and the same symptoms.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Thanks. I did have stuff plugged in, but I removed them and tried rebooting. Still black screens and the same symptoms.
I’ve been following all the related posts on this topic lately. Just doesn’t seem that a newer model would already be having this issue. Of course it’s not impossible but I’m willing to bet there is something else wrong somewhere other than just worn out eMMC.
Hope it’s something simple. I have an S and want to use Jedi mind trick on wife to get her a newish X as her next ride.
they seem like great cars.....although I’m a little nervous about so many moving parts on those doors and my kids wearing them out or abusing them

Reactions: David29 and MP3Mike
Seems like an MCU issue, possibly MMC caused.

You are so far at one end of the bathtub curve in age that even if your failure is eMMC related, it is too early to be a use-induced failure.

If you already tried reset with brake pedal pressed, I don't know of another reset.