Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is @TonyT or you willing to state the price of the Swissbit chip and the LTE upgrade? I am still on 3G as well. Pm me if you prefer Tony; I am seriously considering making a big drive down there one of these days. (Yes I know I could mail it)

Your welcome to come down. We would really need to work out timing. Hopefully you can stay a bit and enjoy some vacation here. I'll send you pricing details and options.

And mail works too. I would only do the LTE if your here, if you don't come, you can easily do the LTE when you have it apart.

how hard was the process of removing everything

It's doable. I've had several people send me their Terga boards. I've also had someone send me their car since they preferred I do the whole process. He will probably chime in at some point.

I can offer full removal service, or just send. Either way works. I try to keep a process that works for everyone's time, skills, and budget.

It's doable. I've had several people send me their Terga boards. I've also had someone send me their car since they preferred I do the whole process. He will probably chime in at some point.

I can offer full removal service, or just send. Either way works. I try to keep a process that works for everyone's time, skills, and budget.
Tony email me the pricing please

Just fallen victim to the same thing, dead MCU 5 weeks out of warranty. Service centre comms truly terrible (Brooklands, UK). It is likely that the eMMC chip was failing while still in warranty as firmware was six versions out of date. Requested goodwill contribution, but told that is not likely. Was about to buy a model 3 as a second car, but my faith in Tesla is seriously shaken, so reconsidering my options.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and StarLog
Just fallen victim to the same thing, dead MCU 5 weeks out of warranty. Service centre comms truly terrible (Brooklands, UK). It is likely that the eMMC chip was failing while still in warranty as firmware was six versions out of date. Requested goodwill contribution, but told that is not likely. Was about to buy a model 3 as a second car, but my faith in Tesla is seriously shaken, so reconsidering my options.
contact @LuckyLuke He can help you.

Reactions: StefanSarzio
My MCU1 started doing random reboots recently. Last night on the drive home it rebooted 3 times in 20 minutes. I turned the car off via the display and let it sit for a few hours, so far it's good but hopefully not a sign of failure. Still under warranty at least.

My MCU1 started doing random reboots recently. Last night on the drive home it rebooted 3 times in 20 minutes. I turned the car off via the display and let it sit for a few hours, so far it's good but hopefully not a sign of failure. Still under warranty at least.
Since getting a "new" MCU -- mine no longer does this... It took about 3/4 a year for it to die once it started doing that for me.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx

@NoMoGas Chime in already!

• Helpful
Reactions: Bill_75D
And mail works too.

The same one I mentioned in Post 225.
;)

Gents—

almost done yanking this thing out.

seems my fuse box is the long—slender type with id’s in the 100’s.

I’ve searched google and couldn’t find the touch screen/MCU fuse ID No—any idea which it is…?

FB6177C8-FA13-4C64-A482-22A7E375651D.jpeg 2AA36B0D-2179-4994-962F-E4168C92F321.jpeg

Ok...found the updated wiring diagram, but not the fuse description for the MCU / touch screen seems to have changed. Im about to just disconnect power old school, via the 12V battery post

edit:
Did it move yo the passenger fuse box; F235. Center display...?

Attachments

• 2015 fuses.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Last night I got the new eMMC from Tony and my car is all put together again. I'm so glad I did it before it failed entirely. Tony was very helpful. He also upgraded my car to LTE which makes a big difference.
No more glitches, no more frozen screen, no more bluetooth and internet loosing connection. Most importantly I don't get stranded with a dead MCU which is inevitable with the chip failing. I should be safe now for the next 20 years. :)

I did most of the mechanical part of taking the dash apart myself.
View attachment 478018

Are we assuming the Swissbit will last much longer than the one it is replacing?

Ok...found the updated wiring diagram, but not the fuse description for the MCU / touch screen seems to have changed. Im about to just disconnect power old school, via the 12V battery post

edit:
Did it move yo the passenger fuse box; F235. Center display...?
If you're going to disconnect the 12V, don't forget to disconnect the HV via the emergency responder loop, or the main battery can supply 12V.

Correct, the response was to the question if the Swissbit will last longer. And the updates will help and can continue to help more if Tesla continues to work on the issue. I forgot to quote since I posted right after the question.
I am planning to put in the 64GB Swissbit part in my 4.5 year old MCU1, but don't plan to expand any partitions (though TRIM the entire part before cloning partitions onto it). Given 8x the memory and higher durability part, it should outlast the car assuming Tesla doesn't make it worse (not always the case with Tesla software).

Last edited: