Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my screen go dark last week and drove my 2015 S 85 up to Portland, OR service center. I've been getting regular text message updates on the progress. They are replacing with a factory refurbished MCU1. They are also replacing the rear main drive unit which was making a whining noise, some resistance modules and a cooling fan system. I bought the car in May with 50,000 miles through the Tesla CPO, so it came with a 2-year additional warranty. I'd hate to have to pay for all of this myself.

Reactions: StarLog
I had my screen go dark last week and drove my 2015 S 85 up to Portland, OR service center. I've been getting regular text message updates on the progress. They are replacing with a factory refurbished MCU1. They are also replacing the rear main drive unit which was making a whining noise, some resistance modules and a cooling fan system. I bought the car in May with 50,000 miles through the Tesla CPO, so it came with a 2-year additional warranty. I'd hate to have to pay for all of this myself.
I still have a few more miles and months left on my original warranty and because I own a first generation Model X, I think the likelihood of something going wrong is pretty high so I will probably get the extended warranty before the 4 years are up.

Interesting news... Elon Musk: Tesla MCU computer upgrade going to be $2,000, but don't recommend it - Electrek

upload_2019-12-19_21-53-47-png.490498

11:45 AM · Dec 30, 2019·Twitter Web App
Jason Hughes @wk057
Looks like @elonmusk followed through, and excess logging to the eMMC has been significantly curtailed in recent versions. Should extend life a bit on MCU1.
Bit (like, years) late for many vehicles, unfortunately. Many will still need repair eventually.
Quote Tweet
Elon Musk on Twitter
Elon Musk @elonmusk · Oct 12 Replying to @wk057 and @tesla
Should be much better at this point

iM2COc2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and Vinc
Uh-oh, I may be the next victim of this (2014 pre-AP S60 ~146,000 km). I started following Tesla in 2015 and thought I had covered all of the bases. I didn't appreciate the gravity of this issue until I saw Rich Rebuild's video about it shortly after getting my car 4 months ago (I watched most of his other videos; don't know how I missed this one!).

Because I'm a new owner, I just figured connectivity drops, loading errors and similar were normal for a 5 year old car. It isn't like I noticed a change in the vehicle's behaviour.

Anyway, I went to unlock it with the app yesterday morning and the app thought it worked properly, but the handles wouldn't present. I popped the frunk and it displayed as open in the app, but the frunk didn't open. I tried a reboot unsuccessfully so decided to leave it as it was charging at the time and I wanted to let it finish in case this would be the last charge it allows.

Today I took the charge cable out and put it into drive (still drives), then put it in P and rebooted. I got the Tesla T back up on the main screen, but it never booted. Service appointment next week. Fingers crossed that I'm not up for a $3k surprise.

Either way, it will be an interesting week driving around without heat in the Canadian winter :). At least the wipers still work. Man, I'm going to have to use a scraper?!

Uh-oh, I may be the next victim of this (2014 pre-AP S60 ~146,000 km). I started following Tesla in 2015 and thought I had covered all of the bases. I didn't appreciate the gravity of this issue until I saw Rich Rebuild's video about it shortly after getting my car 4 months ago (I watched most of his other videos; don't know how I missed this one!).

Because I'm a new owner, I just figured connectivity drops, loading errors and similar were normal for a 5 year old car. It isn't like I noticed a change in the vehicle's behaviour.

Anyway, I went to unlock it with the app yesterday morning and the app thought it worked properly, but the handles wouldn't present. I popped the frunk and it displayed as open in the app, but the frunk didn't open. I tried a reboot unsuccessfully so decided to leave it as it was charging at the time and I wanted to let it finish in case this would be the last charge it allows.

Today I took the charge cable out and put it into drive (still drives), then put it in P and rebooted. I got the Tesla T back up on the main screen, but it never booted. Service appointment next week. Fingers crossed that I'm not up for a $3k surprise.

Either way, it will be an interesting week driving around without heat in the Canadian winter :). At least the wipers still work. Man, I'm going to have to use a scraper?!
FWIW, I got quoted $2k not $3k for MCU1 replacement last month. Don’t accept $3k.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Right... third party repair cost is less and Tony is a provider.

cost from Tesla I was quoted is $2k US. Earlier in this saga, I’m pretty sure they were quoting $3k.

personally I’m waiting til my extended warranty runs out or they offer the $2k MCU2 upgrade that Musk tweeted about.

Zax can also help, he's in Canada. Taxes and shipping makes it not as good to offer my services over the boarder.

I was able to drive it just fine tonight. I dressed warm so I could keep the windows open so I didn’t fog up at -10 C. Worked fine, but I don’t think I’ll be doing any road trips with the whole family in there until we get some heat.

One curiosity is that the speedometer was reading about 40% low. Mine is pre-AP so my blue ‘analog’ indicator was correct reading 65km/h, but the number was only reading 40km/h. When I set the (basic) cruise, the bug went to 40km/h and it maintained 65km/h actual.

Things that worked: wipers, lights, windows, opening the charge port and frunk with the fob, indicators and sounds (though the sounds only came back after an unsuccessful reboot).