Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I'd LOVE that, I don't think the current cameras unfortunately have the visual coverage that far down.

I would gladly settle for what is to the front right side of the car ahead of me so when I have to squeeze through a space that is just a few inches wider than the car (something I unfortunately have to do several times a day) I can be sure there is space.

This would really help many of us also avoid curbing wheels.

@TheFro and @StarLog that is the gateway SD card, the maps microSD card is located on the right side of the unit on the back side of the board. There is a little slot to access it, and often the microSD card has tape covering it to ensure it stays in. We have had a case where a leaking MCU screen got the goo on the slot and shorted out the microSD reader on the MCU. Sorry no pics right now, will post when I can and if I remember.

This is it sorry for mistake.

IMG_20191121_173925.jpg

But, but, in which direction do I need to sacrifice which animal and muttering what incantation?

I'm fairly certain the first step involves a rubber chicken. Figuring out the rest is left as as exercise for the reader. :D

Either way, I'd just be happy if MCU1 properly cached map tiles. I can zoom in on the map, then it zooms back out automatically, and if I zoom back in, it refetches the map tiles all over again. My assumption is that the 4 GB micro-SD card just isn't anywhere near big enough to hold what it is being asked to hold, because the whole nav experience these days makes me long for the days of the original Google Maps on my original first-generation iPhone, circa 2007. :)

Reactions: MikeBur
It happened to me today, 2017 s100d. Driving normally and noticed that the temp display was blank, attempted a manual reset of the MCU and it never came back in anymore. Car drives, but cannot be charged, though it draws power from AC to run the heater. The heater is stuck on and is effectively heating my garage. Interestingly, I can still see the car on the app and it is reporting the right location, but cannot charge or change climate settings.

Called Tesla roadside and try a bunch of reset with no improvement. Suggest that I call back tomorrow.

The car is only 2.5 yrs old, but has 110k km so warranty expired. Kind of sucks as it cannot be charged. I have enough juice to make it to the SC but that’s it.

CEFA17F8-E9AC-43AF-A5D8-67A98F55524F.jpeg 2F39D630-B79A-4B0D-BBDF-0FF5F58296E9.jpeg

I'm fairly certain the first step involves a rubber chicken. Figuring out the rest is left as as exercise for the reader. :D

Either way, I'd just be happy if MCU1 properly cached map tiles. I can zoom in on the map, then it zooms back out automatically, and if I zoom back in, it refetches the map tiles all over again. My assumption is that the 4 GB micro-SD card just isn't anywhere near big enough to hold what it is being asked to hold, because the whole nav experience these days makes me long for the days of the original Google Maps on my original first-generation iPhone, circa 2007. :)

The Microsd card is 16 gigs, the map tiles get cached on the 8 gig eMMC that get's worn out. Many people have reported map tiles loading faster after eMMC upgrade.

It happened to me today, 2017 s100d. Driving normally and noticed that the temp display was blank, attempted a manual reset of the MCU and it never came back in anymore. Car drives, but cannot be charged, though it draws power from AC to run the heater. The heater is stuck on and is effectively heating my garage. Interestingly, I can still see the car on the app and it is reporting the right location, but cannot charge or change climate settings.

Called Tesla roadside and try a bunch of reset with no improvement. Suggest that I call back tomorrow.

The car is only 2.5 yrs old, but has 110k km so warranty expired. Kind of sucks as it cannot be charged. I have enough juice to make it to the SC but that’s it.

View attachment 502364 View attachment 502365

Responded to your thread, try fuse pull or reset by disconnecting the ground on the battery.

I am having a MCU issue. I tried rebooting my laggy MCU after trip clear was taking several seconds to happen. Next thing I know my heat is stuck on at 26C and my center screen gone black. Odometer and temp readings blank "---". I hope it figures itself out by morning. I am considering doing a HV loop disconnect and 12V reconnect. Will call Tesla SC in morning. Car is still charging and no errors on instrument cluster and I have tried several hard reboots. I swear I hear a bit of audio popping when I try center screen reboot.. Mobile app can only read battery % and temp, no control whatsoever.

I cannot afford MCU replacement nor do I want to spend $3-4k on an older MCU. If it needs to be replaced I really prefer MCU2. This flash memory issue should be covered out of warranty. Or at least find a way to allow HVAC and basic car controls from mobile app through local connection.

2013 Model S P85. MCU1 with bubbles on top of screen that started forming in June 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: StarLog
I was able to turn off the cabin heat by pulling the 'touchscreen' 20A fuse under hood on my 1st gen Model S. Tried HV loop disconnect but did nothing.. Mobile app still connected and car is 'charging' 2A @ 240V to probably maintain battery thermals. Charge limit @ 90% reached. Should still charge but I cannot schedule departure or adjust charge limit. Most importantly I cannot use HVAC to defog so this is a very serious concern for us all with MCU1. App still thinks climate control is on.. lol

I was able to turn off the cabin heat by pulling the 'touchscreen' 20A fuse under hood on my 1st gen Model S. Tried HV loop disconnect but did nothing.. Mobile app still connected and car is 'charging' 2A @ 240V to probably maintain battery thermals. Charge limit @ 90% reached. Should still charge but I cannot schedule departure or adjust charge limit. Most importantly I cannot use HVAC to defog so this is a very serious concern for us all with MCU1. App still thinks climate control is on.. lol

Are you out of warranty? You can contact @zax123 to have emmc replaced in Canada.

• Helpful
Reactions: dekuramen
Yes I might be interested. Will see what Tesla can do first. Shot them an email and calling them soon.

I would be surprised if they do anything. Wish I had more to add, I fought with them on this issue twice back when my car was SLIGHTLY out of warranty, you're wayyyyyyyyyyyy out of warranty. eMMC solder replacement from these guys on the forums is the best option hands down.

Had an interesting experience. I parked at the home of a potential business partner for a couple hour meeting. Temperature was 25F, car was half charged when I left. Car has 56k miles, about 20k since last MCU1 replacement.

While in the meeting my wife's Tesla i0S app got a message that the car ran out of battery. Then the app showed --- for range. My Tesla Android app got no such message but upon returning to the car the app similarly showed --- for range.

In the car the MCU was blank and the car would not go into gear nor reboot the MCU. But upon rebooting the instrument cluster (IC) the MCU restarted and everything was fine. Car was still half charged.

Thoughts? Random Gremlins? Pending MCU doom?

Had an interesting experience. I parked at the home of a potential business partner for a couple hour meeting. Temperature was 25F, car was half charged when I left. Car has 56k miles, about 20k since last MCU1 replacement.

While in the meeting my wife's Tesla i0S app got a message that the car ran out of battery. Then the app showed --- for range. My Tesla Android app got no such message but upon returning to the car the app similarly showed --- for range.

In the car the MCU was blank and the car would not go into gear nor reboot the MCU. But upon rebooting the instrument cluster (IC) the MCU restarted and everything was fine. Car was still half charged.

Thoughts? Random Gremlins? Pending MCU doom?

Could be, how long ago was the replacement? I did have a 2017 car emmc die, so that emmc was only 2 years old..

Been consistent message since I think Thursday.
Air suspension has been unavailable a couple times though that might have been ice related.
On one of the power off reboots and restarts I got an error about "can not drive plugged in" when it was not.

Screen has been displaying fine, I stream music probably 70% of the time I drive and it had been pretty good occasionally a song will cut off and it will load another but not enough that that alone would be noteworthy.

FWIW the car is tracking position fine maps are moving behind the music/camera tabs.