Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How hard is it to do this whole process if you haven't done soldering before or worked with Linux?

I've read this whole thread and the others (maybe I missed some of them?) and was looking to see if anyone got to do it without any previous experience in either soldering eMMC's or Linux.

I'm quite good with computers and DIY stuff as long as I follow some instructions and I would really like to get into fixing these MCU's for the South Coast of UK. There is someone offering this fix in UK but quite far from where I am and at the moment it's the only place I know that does this.

You want to make sure you dont loose the certificate files. The first desolder/solder likely wont go well, you want plenty of practice. Probably best to have someone do this for you until you feel confident getting the data and swapping the chip ;) @LuckyLuke can help in your area. Turn around is pretty quick.

AFAIK only way to get upgraded size chip is 3rd party. We can help you if you want. $1600 is a new price, MCU replacement was $2300 from what I heard before. I wonder if they are changing things up?

The service guy said last week they were $2300, then it dropped this week(lucky me...). So yeah, it should be company-wide. And he couldn't' answer what upgraded, but it did require them to run a new wire harness for power and also a new Bluetooth adapter, so it wasn't just plugged and play.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The service guy said last week they were $2300, then it dropped this week(lucky me...). So yeah, it should be company-wide. And he couldn't' answer what upgraded, but it did require them to run a new wire harness for power and also a new Bluetooth adapter, so it wasn't just plugged and play.
Sounds suspiciously like MCU2

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
I just got a quote for $1300...
MCU.JPG

You probably have the original style mcu1, there is a newer mcu1 that shares most of the wiring of mcu2. 2 will likely cost far more than $2300.

There are two variants of what is generally considered as "MCU1", both have the same cpu and emmc but have slighly different mainboard inside and a few plugs changed on the back.
In the newer variant the Black plug is missing (wires repinned to Brown&Grey) and they use a separate BT antenna with green connector (instead of the old style short internal cable with tiewrap on the side)
I'm not sure what the official names are, some people use MCU0/1 and others use MCU1/1.5
The Teslatap site does not make a distinction between both, which is fine because in general they are the same units (just the plugs differ a bit).

Sometimes when only newer style MCU's are available in the service center they will repin two plugs, add the pigtail for the camera and add the newer style BT antenna. The photo's I posted show such a retrofit. There is a official service bulletin for this procedure, PM me if you want it.

We generally call them MCU 1 and 1.5 since they offer the same functionality. As Luke has described there are minor differences. The biggest difference I would believe the 1.5 (as we call it launched with the X) However both cars use the same MCU. It's important to use the same if exchanging on your own since the connections are a little different. However there are very few instances that require changing, usually eMMC replacement will fix unless something else broke in the MCU, which we have generally not seen yet.

1 case I saw was leaking screen (conductive goo) shorted out the maps card slot.
A few others were due to owners "trying things" and physically damaging something.
And only other damaged MCU I saw were people testing if hammer or MCU was stronger. Hammer won...
There are probably other cases, but I have not seen them yet....

BTW I saw fire vs MCU, MCU won...

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200