Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Liking the S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the Y is at the SC getting a new harness, they gave me a S as a loaner and I really like. As I am thinking out loud, might give up the Y to wife and see about acquiring a pre-owned S? BUT I would like to pay cash, around 20k-25k which puts me around 2013-2014 model OR a newer M3. Have not drove a 3. Am I thinking crazy? Put down my Buffalo Trace and enjoy the Y?

While the Y is at the SC getting a new harness, they gave me a S as a loaner and I really like. As I am thinking out loud, might give up the Y to wife and see about acquiring a pre-owned S? BUT I would like to pay cash, around 20k-25k which puts me around 2013-2014 model OR a newer M3. Have not drove a 3. Am I thinking crazy? Put down my Buffalo Trace and enjoy the Y?
If you can pick up a late 2014 (vin above 70k) in that price range I’d jump all over it. I have a 12/14 p85d and love it. I also love the Y. When my son starts driving on the daily he’ll get our Prius my hubs will keep our S and I’ll get myself a perf Y.

Reactions: Hoffbrew
I have a 2014 and a 2015 MS. I like the 2014 more and plan to keep it long-term. I think that the 2014 and older are good deals at the moment. Over the years, I have driven newer models occasionally and have not felt the 2014 lacking much other than the comfort of the seats (I don’t drive with AP on). I think that people might be concerned about these older models going out of battery warranty.

My understanding of the older S is:
- Get next-gen seats (late 2014 or newer)
- Get autopilot (late 2014 or newer)
- Get one that still has a couple years left on 8-year warranty for battery/powertrain (late 2014 or newer)
- Get one that has a year of full warranty (any used car on tesla.com)
- Sunroof is more reliable/less likely to leak starting around June 2015
- If you want max comfort then get air suspension and smallest wheels
- Budget $1500 for MCU2 upgrade, everyone says it's worth it

Reactions: AustinP and Krash
Is mileage a big factor in my searching? I know battery is but how would know if they were abused or good for 500k+ miles?
I think mileage is a main factor affecting the price and is a good estimate of age of the moving components. But there are exceptions, I think, such as if major components had been replaced. Most of the older performance motor have had their motor replaced, I believe, due to design flaws that caused the early bearing failure and coolant infiltration. In those cases, their longevity reset a bit, I would guess. My 2014 P85+ is ancient, relatively, but it drives and feels like a new car. On abuse, one would never know for sure, I think. Two things that I do when buying a used car to minimize the chance of getting an abused one are only buy the ones that has one previous owner and test drive before buying. My guess is that the 60s are increasingly less desirable due to the low range. On AP stuff, I enjoy driving so a performance non-AP rear-wheel drive with ‘plus’ suspension and staggered wheels has been the best Tesla I have driven (although I haven't driven all variations). On seats, yeah, the newer seats are better. It was the only thing I didn't like in my MS’s, but I have gotten used to them and now don't mind it. On roofs, I have the pano roof (glass with sunroof) but it hasn’t had any problems yet. On MCUs, I upgraded one to MCU2 (I paid $2500, but they are now $1500), and on the other one, I had the daughterboard upgrade (I paid $350, but they should be free now). I have been happy with both.