TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Lillium - VTOL all-electric plane

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by dauger, May 10, 2016.

1. dauger

dauger Member

2. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

I'm not expecting much, performancewise. Small ducted fans are notoriously inefficient, especially at low speeds like lifting off and landing. There is a reason a helicopter usually has just one giant rotor. Expect a flight time measured in minutes at 250mph, not hours. With the wings that far back I presume the passenger cell of the plane is designed as a lifting body?

• Like x 1
  3. Brando

Brando Active Member

• Informative x 1
  4. Kandiru

Kandiru Active Member

From the 1950ies on SciFi magazines on both sides of the Iron Curtain have been obsessed with the mass commute fliers.

The ugly truth is that you would need an FAA license and an airport.

5. voyager

voyager Member

Those Lilium guys graduated from Technical University Munich. Talked to one of the professors there, and he could not understand how Lilium managed to sin that severely against one of the most fundamental principles regarding rotor efficiency, and... how Lilium managed to convince investors to put millions in the company. My only guess is that the final product will show us something which will deviate mega from the small ducts prototype.

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

• Informative x 1
  7. voyager

voyager Member

#7 voyager, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Oh Dear! Funny (not actually) is that the eVTOL community already knew. I know because I am member of AHS.
    See what I wrote in 2018.
    But nobody seems to want to bust someone' s dream and pitch,
    not to let the collective goal of zero-emission transformative flight get a bad rap (or is it rep?)...

[​IMG]

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

• Informative x 1
  9. voyager

voyager Member

#9 voyager, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  10. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

They need to be way more transparent. They keep posting fancy Youtube videos of tests with cool background music, but no outsider has yet been allowed to attend one of their tests. We don't even know what this thing sounds like ...

11. voyager

voyager Member

The sound? Well, what do you think? 36 high-revving small-diameter thrusters together will probably sound like a jet engine. So, that's the other thing they need to fear for: being banned because of exceeding noise levels.

12. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I was actually at the airfield where they do the tests before Christmas. I could see some white aircraft peeping out of a hangar and asked my hosts if it was possible to get in their, but they said Lillium was actually based in a small building by themselves on the opposite side of the field and no one really interacts with them.

13. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Yeah, that was kind of my point.

14. Kandiru

Kandiru Active Member

The only practical solution will be solar touring sailplanes, like this one:

Catch a thermal > glide > run the motor > catch a thermal, repeat. The cycle repeats while the solar panels are charging and providing immediate power.

The weight of the batteries along with cold conditioning needs is too much to sustain long flights.
    Pipistrel makes them but only for training purposes around airports.

15. voyager

voyager Member

Solar cells will never be able to provide the bursts of energy needed for vertical take off, and after the level flight, the vertical landing.
    Lilium was featured in the last edition of the AHS magazine. It only brushed over some of the questions and doubts experts have with regard to its power delivery, the use of small ducts and the range. Those remain unanswered.

16. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator