Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

limited A/C and battery cooling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my MS 100D today.
Got it at 60% charge, with no electrician until next week (and HPWC out of stock everywhere.)

Went to a mall for dinner, and they have a supercharger (the flat ones without the hole in the middle, up to 72kW.)
There was a sign about 30 minute general parking, not sure what that was about.

Car was about 50% and I went to charge it, as we went to dinner.
I figured dinner would take an hour, and the charger said it would take 30 minutes.
I changed the charger to 100%, and turned on the AC (was this my mistake?) and the charge time rose to 1 hour.

When I returned to the car, outside temp was in the 70's, but the car was fogged up on the inside, and the windshield defogger was having a hard time.
Then, I noticed the HVAC / battery cooling error.

I was able to get the window defrosted, and drive home with no issues, other than the car being humid, and the AC not working. I'm currently waiting for the morning to see if there are any changes.

Did I do something silly by leaving the HVAC running while charging?

Title of the post : limited A/C and battery cooling

Sometimes when the battery needs more cooling power such as during Supercharging session, it would prioritize HVAC power to the main battery while it would reduce cooling power to human occupants.

You might get that same message when driving in a very hot environment.

That's a perfectly normal courtesy error message in case of human wondering why the cabin is not as cool.

If you feel hot with A/C on in these scenarios, that is how it is designed and it is not a bug.

Title of the post : limited A/C and battery cooling

The message has now gone away.

The bottom of the message also said to contact Tesla service.

Your AC system is not working right. When it's being used hard, it can not maintain cold as well as it should.
I got that same message on my 6hr drive from LA in 100º weather, had no AC for over 3hrs and reduced battery output! It did it again 3 days later in 90º weather (not the reduced battery).
Took it in and they replaced one of the louvers and some other AC component. Seems to be working fine now.