Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited AC charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 S75. DC charging works just fine.

Ac charging shows message "unable to charge". It still charges but its limited to 7kw. When connecting cable, it goes to 11kw for two times and then gives error and limits it to 7kw. Changed cable, cleaned pins. Any ideas?

2017 S75. DC charging works just fine.

Ac charging shows message "unable to charge". It still charges but its limited to 7kw. When connecting cable, it goes to 11kw for two times and then gives error and limits it to 7kw. Changed cable, cleaned pins. Any ideas?
Could be a bad onboard charger or a bad electrical connection with your house wiring. If voltage drops too much, the charger senses that and then limits the amperage to keep the voltage around 235-245 (208v if you're charging at a commercial facility)
Try a different L2 charger and report back. That will help narrow down the issue.

I replaced my onboard charger myself and saved about $2k.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
One of your three onboard charging boards is down, so you can only charge at 2x16A (~7kW). The chargers are in your car for AC - the thing on the wall is just a power supply. DC charging uses off-board chargers (coincidentally, banks of the same 16A charging boards in the V1/V2 supercharger cabinets).

One of your three onboard charging boards is down, so you can only charge at 2x16A (~7kW). The chargers are in your car for AC - the thing on the wall is just a power supply. DC charging uses off-board chargers (coincidentally, banks of the same 16A charging boards in the V1/V2 supercharger cabinets).

Does the 3rd gen chargers have also the quick fuse replacement fix? Part code for fuse anyone?

You’re likely right, but a minor correction - the 2017 S/X had 24 amp internal boards, either 2x (48 amp) or 3x (72 amp).

Reactions: serendipitous