Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited Charging-Charge cable may not be plugged securely into the vehicle - error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI
Got my Y yesterday. As I am waiting for the charger cable to become available, I thought I will use the home 15 amp wall outlet. When I connect the charger that came with the car and the adapter, I hear a clicking noise and then I get an error message - Limited Charging-Charge cable may not be plugged securely into the vehicle.

But it is charging at 5mi/hr. In the Tesla app, I see this message [Limited Charging-Charge cable may not be plugged securely into the vehicle] even though it is still charging.

Any idea why this is happening? Is the charger cable that came with the car defective? Any suggestions?
Thanks for your input.

Reactions: Pilot1226
First congrats on your new Y!

I’ve seen some Reddit posts about the first couple times the mobile connector really needed to be pushed in to make good contact. This might not be as big of a deal for 120V at 12A but could be a problem for higher amperages and power charging.

First I would try to unplug and replug a couple (dozen?) times to see if it gets any easier. Next I would ask Service to try a new MC and swap it if needed. You may want to try a Supercharger if you can to make sure you can connect those as well, or use your j1772 adapter and find another L2 charger... just so you don’t get yourself in a bind

First congrats on your new Y!

I’ve seen some Reddit posts about the first couple times the mobile connector really needed to be pushed in to make good contact. This might not be as big of a deal for 120V at 12A but could be a problem for higher amperages and power charging.

First I would try to unplug and replug a couple (dozen?) times to see if it gets any easier. Next I would ask Service to try a new MC and swap it if needed. You may want to try a Supercharger if you can to make sure you can connect those as well, or use your j1772 adapter and find another L2 charger... just so you don’t get yourself in a bind
No problem with super charger or a community charger. Just the charger that came with the car. It is showing an orange icon when charging with the above error message. I read the reddit posts, they say it is a defective charger and it went away once a new charger was swapped out. I am now trying to get a ticket started for service. I have a mobile service appt for Wednesday, but the app will not let me addend this to that ticket and I can not start a new ticket with out cancelling this ticket.

No problem with super charger or a community charger. Just the charger that came with the car. It is showing an orange icon when charging with the above error message. I read the reddit posts, they say it is a defective charger and it went away once a new charger was swapped out. I am now trying to get a ticket started for service. I have a mobile service appt for Wednesday, but the app will not let me addend this to that ticket and I can not start a new ticket with out cancelling this ticket.

You'll get a text ahead of time for the visit. Respond with your additional item.

HI
I hear a clicking noise and then I get an error message - Limited Charging-Charge cable may not be plugged securely into the vehicle.

But it is charging at 5mi/hr. In the Tesla app,

When Tesla upgraded to the GEN 2 Mobile Connector (released in tandem with the Model 3 in 2017) they added a temperature sensor to the adapters. The purpose of this is to mitigate overheating/fire issues by limiting charging current if the wall receptacle became too hot. That is what could be happening in your case. Or, it could be a faulty adapter temperature sensor.

The wall outlet is THE weak link in the chain when using the Mobile Connector. I would suggest to anyone to always replace whatever receptacle was in use with a brand new one. The preferred grade of receptacle is industrial grade (as opposed to heavy-duty or even commercial grade). They are inexpensive and easily sourced. The industrial grade outlets are designed to withstand many more insert/remove cycles than your garden variety outlet.

Here is a link to an article which covers the specifics of the GEN 2 connector, and also links to the Model 3/Y Home Charging Guide which details the proper outlets for charging a Tesla:
For Tesla End-To-End Charging, There's Supercharging & Destination Charging. For Everything Else, There's The Mobile Connector — Part I

Last edited: