Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited Charging Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I’ve had the car for 2 years and just last night I started having limited charging error and I can hear it keep clicking without fully locking in. It was charging at half speed 16/32A. I took a closer look this morning and I think I found the issue. Looks like there’s a small cap stuck in the port. Can anyone confirm? I’m no scientist but don’t think it’s supposed to be there. Not sure if this is an associated Tesla part or where it’s supposed to be. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

Last night I plugged in my car to charge and had a limited charging error. It didn’t seem to go in all the way and it was followed by clicking sounds that seemed to confirm it didn’t lock all the way in. It did however still manage to charge at half speed 16/32A and managed roughly 15mi/hr. I took a closer look this morning and found a small cap in the port. I’m assuming this is the issue and not sure how it got there or if it’s a Tesla related part that should be somewhere else. Any help on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 51D9059D-15B6-4657-9C8D-47E51AFFD689.jpeg
    51D9059D-15B6-4657-9C8D-47E51AFFD689.jpeg
    469.5 KB · Views: 94
Hi,

I’ve had the car for 2 years and just last night I started having limited charging error and I can hear it keep clicking without fully locking in. It was charging at half speed 16/32A. I took a closer look this morning and I think I found the issue. Looks like there’s a small cap stuck in the port. Can anyone confirm? I’m no scientist but don’t think it’s supposed to be there. Not sure if this is an associated Tesla part or where it’s supposed to be. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
It sounds like something from the charging head became loose and got stuck in the port. But without a picture we probably won't be able to tell for sure. The best way to ask for help is to create a service request from your Tesla app. You can attach photos to the service request, describe your problem and see what Tesla service teams will tell you.

I have seen posts with that issue (or similar) where a part comes off the charging wand and gets stuck in there.... or at least thats what I remember reading about, anyway (lol).

Threads like these:

I didnt re read those threads but take a look through them and see if they have any information that can help you.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
It sounds like something from the charging head became loose and got stuck in the port. But without a picture we probably won't be able to tell for sure. The best way to ask for help is to create a service request from your Tesla app. You can attach photos to the service request, describe your problem and see what Tesla service teams will tell you.

Attachments

• D5A40DAA-9C16-4274-AD98-43ECBDEB1075.jpeg
    D5A40DAA-9C16-4274-AD98-43ECBDEB1075.jpeg
    469.5 KB · Views: 62
Looks like a piece of black plastic stuck at the bottom of the left hand pin.

I had a donut of plastic break off one pin of my charge port and get stuck in the charge handle. It charged my car fine because the plastic part still matched up with the empty space it left around the charge pin. My problem was that it wouldn't charge our other Tesla, with the plastic piece preventing the charge handle from engaging completely with the port.

I was able to fish out the broken piece from the handle and had Tesla repair the broken charge port.

It seems likely that something similar has happened here. A piece of plastic from your charge handle, or from one that you've used recently.

This all happened on the car side - no other charge handles or vehicles were harmed. Charge port deadfront on the left pin (on the car side of the connection) has snapped off and is buried in your port on the left hand side (the plastic piece you see on the far left). You can fish it out with a wooden toothpick or skewer or whatever, but no real need to “risk” it. The risk would be damaging your car somehow; there’s not an electrocution risk, though one should assume things are live, all the same, because why not.

Tesla will repair this; there’s an open TSB/recall. It takes 10-15 minutes with mobile service. So you don’t have to do anything (or attempt to fix it) other than file a service request with the app, since the car is still charging, so it’s not a crisis.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H