Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited Charging Message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am using my Mobile Charger for the first time since I bought the car. It’s plugged into a 240V outlet with the 6-20 adapter. The Tesla emblem is flashing yellow. I have unplugged and repulsed it 15 times and it either gives me this message or it won’t charge at all. Any idea what it might be? I added it to my already booked Service appointment on 11/03. The charge cable feels loose i the charging port. It clicks a lot. Definitely something wonky going on. At home I typically use my ChargePoint Flex with the Tesla included J1772 adapter without issue. I’ve also used supercharger stations and nit had any issues. Any insight or opinions would be welcome. Is it just a faulty mobile charger? A bad port? Both? Anyone else have these issues. It’s annoying for a. At that is 10 days old.

try it with the 115V adapter that came with the car. Mine did the clicking and did the charging while flashing yellow. Actually did the initial clicking and that stopped but all while charging was flashing yellow. And I would get a message about a bad connection. That all disappeared with one of the software updates (maybe 2020.36.12). Now mine flashes green on 115 with no message. Might not be your situation as you should have newer software. But it's worth a try. On 115V I get 12A and 4 or 5 mph although I have occasionally seen 3.

Reactions: NJEV-Don
try it with the 115V adapter that came with the car. Mine did the clicking and did the charging while flashing yellow. Actually did the initial clicking and that stopped but all while charging was flashing yellow. And I would get a message about a bad connection. That all disappeared with one of the software updates (maybe 2020.36.12). Now mine flashes green on 115 with no message. Might not be your situation as you should have newer software. But it's worth a try. On 115V I get 12A and 4 or 5 mph although I have occasionally seen 3.

i gave up for the night. I have enough range but just wanted to top it off. I will try what you suggested and see what other advice I got when I wake up. I’m getting the outlet upgraded to NEMA 14-50 on Tuesday. Maybe that will help. Honestly though the plug seems loose in the charging port. Never have an issue with my J1772 adapter and my ChargePoint Flex or Superchargers. Never noticed that it felt loose the port. Until today with the mobile charger

We had similar issues. Worked fine on Tesla Supercharger and at Chargepoint. But using our 14-50 adapter/outlet or the standard 15amp adapter and garage outlet we had the clicking, error messages and reduced charge rate. Since we wanted a second charger anyway to keep in the car, we went ahead and ordered one and tried it out. No issues at all with the new Tesla mobile charger. Suspect that the one that came with our car (and yours) are defective. I'm hoping for a replacement when we go in for service.

• Informative
I had the same issue, and basically I just needed to plug in the charger all the way. I didn’t know how far it’s supposed to be plugged in, and didn’t want to force it but the entire black part needs to be plugged into the charging port. Once I used more force, it’s been fine ever since and the limited charging error went away. If you’re not comfortable doing that, I’ve also read people just stop into a service center and they’ll swap out the mobile connector for a new one.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Your car is telling you something. Listen to it’s warning... a Tesla has more diagnosis than most chargers as they’re pretty much just a relay

It could be a faulty mobile connector as it should not be “loose”. When charging starts the click in the charge port is the connector lock, The larger click/clunk is the contactors for the high voltage battery engaging which comes after.
If you are receiving reduced charging and many clicks from charge connector port then it’s could more likely be not inserted deeply enough, though more rarely could be a faulty tesla handle.

Also could be [less likely)the 6-20 adapter is faulty.

Finally,it could be the receptacle, or wiring for such, that you’re plugging into. A bad earth could issue here too

notice the frequent use of “could” being used here.
I don’t believe it’s the car receiver port as you say it works with J1772 adapter and supercharger. Same goes for 240V AC transformer in car is working (J1772 goes that path, though supercharger is DC to DC and doesn’t use car transformer).
1) try mobile connector with 14-50 adapter, at a friends or camp site 240 hookup. Not 120V will not as thoughourly test mobile connector. If this works fine, then it’s your receptacle or your 6-20 adapter.
2) if you do have a Tesla owner friend, try their mobile connector with your car
3) all else drive it to a service center and have them test the mobile connector

i gave up for the night. I have enough range but just wanted to top it off. I will try what you suggested and see what other advice I got when I wake up. I’m getting the outlet upgraded to NEMA 14-50 on Tuesday. Maybe that will help. Honestly though the plug seems loose in the charging port. Never have an issue with my J1772 adapter and my ChargePoint Flex or Superchargers. Never noticed that it felt loose the port. Until today with the mobile charger
Just a friendly reminder. The 6-20 receptacle you have is wired for a lot less capability than the 14-50 implies it can deliver. Ensure the wiring is upgraded as well as breaker. Even if you set your car to limit charging to, say, 15A this is likely against code for good reason.

Your car is telling you something. Listen to it’s warning... a Tesla has more diagnosis than most chargers as they’re pretty much just a relay

It could be a faulty mobile connector as it should not be “loose”. When charging starts the click in the charge port is the connector lock, The larger click/clunk is the contactors for the high voltage battery engaging which comes after.
If you are receiving reduced charging and many clicks from charge connector port then it’s could more likely be not inserted deeply enough, though more rarely could be a faulty tesla handle.

Also could be [less likely)the 6-20 adapter is faulty.

Finally,it could be the receptacle, or wiring for such, that you’re plugging into. A bad earth could issue here too

notice the frequent use of “could” being used here.
I don’t believe it’s the car receiver port as you say it works with J1772 adapter and supercharger. Same goes for 240V AC transformer in car is working (J1772 goes that path, though supercharger is DC to DC and doesn’t use car transformer).
1) try mobile connector with 14-50 adapter, at a friends or camp site 240 hookup. Not 120V will not as thoughourly test mobile connector. If this works fine, then it’s your receptacle or your 6-20 adapter.
2) if you do have a Tesla owner friend, try their mobile connector with your car
3) all else drive it to a service center and have them test the mobile connector

Thank you for the detailed reply. I will try and figure out what is going on. I have an electrician coming tomorrow to change the 6-20 outlet to a 14-50. I will try it after that install but I maintain the plug is a little loose in the charging port of the car. It clicks multiple times and then either flashes an amber T symbol and the Limited Charging message or doesn’t charge at all. I plug it in as hard and as deeply as it will let me. If it works with the 14-50 adapter then maybe it’s the Tesla 6-20 Adapter that I purchased or the wiring was bad on the outlet.

Tomorrow will give more information but the loose ish fit of the cable into the port still feels off.

I don’t know any other Tesla to borrow their mobile connector.

I’m currently in Delaware for a few weeks and the closest Service Center is in Wilmington but it’s 86 miles away. I’ve added the issue to my currently scheduled service appointment on 11/3 where they were going to address my delivery day issues. Until then there is a Supercharger station about 8 miles away. It’s just annoying when a brand new car has issues from day one.

Thanks again. I appreciate everything you offered to help.

Reactions: MikeBur
Thank you for the detailed reply. I will try and figure out what is going on. I have an electrician coming tomorrow to change the 6-20 outlet to a 14-50. I will try it after that install but I maintain the plug is a little loose in the charging port of the car. It clicks multiple times and then either flashes an amber T symbol and the Limited Charging message or doesn’t charge at all. I plug it in as hard and as deeply as it will let me. If it works with the 14-50 adapter then maybe it’s the Tesla 6-20 Adapter that I purchased or the wiring was bad on the outlet.

Tomorrow will give more information but the loose ish fit of the cable into the port still feels off.

I don’t know any other Tesla to borrow their mobile connector.

I’m currently in Delaware for a few weeks and the closest Service Center is in Wilmington but it’s 86 miles away. I’ve added the issue to my currently scheduled service appointment on 11/3 where they were going to address my delivery day issues. Until then there is a Supercharger station about 8 miles away. It’s just annoying when a brand new car has issues from day one.

Thanks again. I appreciate everything you offered to help.

I had a similar issue the first day I went to plug in my MY. Someone mentioned this above, but I found that I wasn't using enough force to get the mobile connector seated properly. Have you tried really pushing it in there? After the first couple times charging it, the mobile connector now plugs in much easier. Wondering if it just needs to break in a bit.

• Helpful

The clicking and the yellow light, tells you it's a plug problem, into the car.

BTW, as other people indicated, hopefully you are having your outlet professionally updated from 20A to 50A, and ensure the internal wiring can handle it, such has having 6 gauge wire.

• Helpful
The clicking and the yellow light, tells you it's a plug problem, into the car.

BTW, as other people indicated, hopefully you are having your outlet professionally updated from 20A to 50A, and ensure the internal wiring can handle it, such has having 6 gauge wire.

actually the guy is here as we speak. Due to bad rain outdoors they had some cancellations and asked me if they could do the job today since it’s inside a garage. Hopefully it does the truck but the plug is still not very tight fitting in the charging port so it may not solve my problem 100%. Thanks.

Well the electrician just completed installing the brand new NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage on a 50A dedicated breaker. He verified its all working as it’s supposed to. We plugged the mobile connector with Tesla 14-50 adapter into it and the vehicle won’t charge. It clicks a bunch of times. The Tesla “T” flashes amber and it appears to start charging and then it stops. I unplug it and start the process again and nothing happens. I am currently in DE for a few weeks. My first service appointment that I set up on delivery day in NJ where I reside is set for 11/3. That was set up to deal with other annoying it less pressing delivery day issues. I am now in DE and have ZERO ability to charge at my current place. I have to use supercharger miles (of which they still owe me 1,000 for picking up on 9/30 or other destination chargers at my cost, I reached out to the Service Center in Wilmington, DE and like every other Tesla Service Center no one picked up the phone. It’s 86 miles away. It would take 1.5 hours to get there. I hope someone calls me back and offers me a solution. If I have to drive 86 miles
(although I would need to juice up at a supercharger in order to get there) I will if it can rectify my issue. Ideally it would be great if they’d overnight me a new Mobile charger which I’m fairly confident would fix my problem and not cause me aggravation and 3 + hours of my time round trip to drive there. This is where Tesla gets on my last nerve. I’m hoping to hear back shortly from someone.

Well the electrician just completed installing the brand new NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage on a 50A dedicated breaker. He verified its all working as it’s supposed to. We plugged the mobile connector with Tesla 14-50 adapter into it and the vehicle won’t charge. It clicks a bunch of times. The Tesla “T” flashes amber and it appears to start charging and then it stops. I unplug it and start the process again and nothing happens. I am currently in DE for a few weeks. My first service appointment that I set up on delivery day in NJ where I reside is set for 11/3. That was set up to deal with other annoying it less pressing delivery day issues. I am now in DE and have ZERO ability to charge at my current place. I have to use supercharger miles (of which they still owe me 1,000 for picking up on 9/30 or other destination chargers at my cost, I reached out to the Service Center in Wilmington, DE and like every other Tesla Service Center no one picked up the phone. It’s 86 miles away. It would take 1.5 hours to get there. I hope someone calls me back and offers me a solution. If I have to drive 86 miles
(although I would need to juice up at a supercharger in order to get there) I will if it can rectify my issue. Ideally it would be great if they’d overnight me a new Mobile charger which I’m fairly confident would fix my problem and not cause me aggravation and 3 + hours of my time round trip to drive there. This is where Tesla gets on my last nerve. I’m hoping to hear back shortly from someone.
Confirming the electrician replaced the cable for the receptacle with at least 6 gauge wire?

I just did a quick check and saw @MHS_MY is in Delaware, though unsure how far away. I saw they were asking questions re charging and, If they are close, perhaps they wouldn’t mind you using their mobile connector? ;-)

Confirming the electrician replaced the cable for the receptacle with at least 6 gauge wire?

I just did a quick check and saw @MHS_MY is in Delaware, though unsure how far away. I saw they were asking questions re charging and, If they are close, perhaps they wouldn’t mind you using their mobile connector? ;-)

he did use 6 gauge wire. The outlet is fine. The Tesla symbol glows solid green when plugged into the outlet. That’s what the manual says is supposed to happen. I will see if I can reach out to MHS_MY. I might feel awkward. I’m so annoyed at Tesla for their lack of response to phone calls and emails. It’s really not cool. Thanks for the response.

Reactions: MikeBur
I would suggest you try to find someone local who can come by and test out your outlets with their Mobile Connector. If their Mobile Connector works fine then that would indicate the problem is with your car or your Mobile Connector. If they can charge successfully, then try charging your car. If it works, then the problem is your Mobile Connector. If you can't charge, then it would indicate a possible problem with your car. Another option is to ask to charge at another owner's house or to try a destination charger or public charger nearby. Try contacting the local Tesla Owner's group or use Plugshare.com to find nearby destination or public chargers.

• Helpful