Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited control from the App with only Bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two weeks ago I was camping and I noticed that when there's no mobile signal the app can only unlock the doors, frunk and trunk. All other functions seems to require an internet connection to work. I was disappointed that I couldn't vent the windows or adjust the AC with the app while it's connected via Bluetooth. We were sleeping in the back of the MY and I was hoping that I could adjust the temperature and vent all the windows with my phone. I wonder if this is an oversight or limitation of the bluetooth connection.

This is on a Pixel 7 Android phone, I wonder if iPhones have the same limitation.

Reactions: Hamster8
How is it working as designed by limiting functionality?
It's working the way Tesla designed it to work, whether or not you agree it should work that way. All interaction with the Tesla API goes through the Tesla servers, which is why you need internet access. The current model works well in most cases, so Tesla doesn't any incentive to put a lot of effort into changing it. You might think it would be easy change for Tesla to make, but you would be wrong. 🙂

Nevertheless, if you feel strongly that it needs to work differently, you can try contacting Tesla Support and requesting a change. They don't monitor this forum, at least not officially. Note that Tesla has made it very difficult to contact Support other than by phone.

Reactions: Hamster8