TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Limited ID3 tag support in Media player

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by freds, Jul 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. freds

freds Member

Ok this is basically a negative feedback post which can at times also be valuable. What the heck is ID3? Basically it's the ability to tag music files with textual information and graphics like album art. A good website to explore on this is:

http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0

When playing music via slacker you get multi-line detail

Slacker.jpg

However when playing a MP3 file you get very limited detail as shown in the next picture.

Id3.jpg

As example the same audio file on a windows phone.

windowsPhone.jpg

I got into this as I am writing a Cd Ripper program specifically for audio books to rip books for travel as that really helps chew up the miles when listening to some murder who done it type book.

More about that in an upcoming post.

Anyway I have tried the following tags with only the TIT2 - Title tag being honored.

TIT2 - Title
    TPE1 - Artist
    TALB - Album
    USLT - Lyrics
    COMM - Comments
    TCOM - Composer
    TIT1 - Group
    TIT3 - Sub Title
    TALB - Album
    TPE2 - Band
    TPE3 - Conductor
    TPE4 - Remixed by
    TCOP - Copyright
    TPUB - Publisher
    TENC - Encoded by
    TEXT - Lyricist
    TSST - Set subtitle
    TOPE - original Artist
    TOLY - original Lyricist
    TMCL - Musician credits list

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I don't know their IDs according to the standard, but mine recognizes my music tagged with Artist / Album / Song. In other words, it'll display for example: Foo Fighters / Wasting Light / A Matter of Time. It'll also display album art, but not the art that's embedded in the file. It uses the Artist / Album to go fetch the art from Gracenote (I think) using the cellular connection.

Also, be aware that when in the Media Player's folder view, most (all?) ID3 tags are ignored.

3. freds

freds Member

Yes you are right about that, here's a picture selecting via album view.

AlbumView.jpg

I have been targeting folder view with audiobook ripping as it is easier to have tracks not go random on playback. Though that brings up another idea....

4. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

ID3 tags are only recognized on USB media if you play by "Song List View", if you play by folder, they are ignored on both screens and try to cram the filename onto the first line. Shabby and embarrassing to mess something so simple up which means it just wasn't a priority. Apparently naming the car took precedence. We need a good Winamp port....