Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited markup EV Car Charger Level 2 - 32A & 16A $249

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
TD;LR - discovered a well built L2 charger being sold on ebay and seller provided addl details. Son is purchasing. Often Tesla owners have other electric cars (J1772) vs a Tesla 14-50 direct plug.
Obviously do your own DD (Due Diligence)

The SPX Voltec charger died that I purchased about the same times as our 2011 Volt was given to our son for his 2012 Volt. This lasted perhaps longer than I suspected based on reviews and other threads. The fuses were checked and were OK so it was not that simple fix. OpenEVSE kit was one option this new option seemed better.

Several months ago I stayed at an AirBNB that had a charger I had not seen before. I stayed because it had a Volt in one of the pictures on the AirBNB site ads and after contacting the owner he said I could park and charge inside the attached building. The L2 J1772 charger worked well for our needs (Driving Tesla X in eastern TN).

Here is the charger on ebay from the Georgia seller. I looked closely at the writing on the wires and found them/spec online. Seller answered my questions in reasonable detail. Wanted to pass this along.

His reply to my questions:
jadaniell:

We have not tried to open or copy design ideas from other EVSE products. The few cases of where we have seen the insides of other products I have been shocked or saddened at some of the poor construction.

a) Can you provide an idea of the components?
Mars is a good vendor supplying the HVAC industry with transformers and 40A contactors for longer than EVSEs have been around. That volume market drives the costs down.
We design our own microprocessor control electronics that could use most any vendors chips. Zilog has made SOC products as long as Intel. Microchip is another first class vendor.
Southwire is based right here in Georgia but is a world-class supplier of wire.

b) do you have to open the product up to switch amperage?
Yes. Maximum amps is reported from the EVSE to the car and is used by the car to decide which charging rate to use. Maximum amps is usually related to EVSE capacity, supply wire size, breaker size, panel capacity, etc., and is usually determined at install time. If you see it differently I would love to hear your ideas.

Our components are UL listed. If we were to have the completed unit UL approved we would not have to change it, but we estimate it would add at least $100K to the admin cost, and another $50K every time we changed it.

EV Car Charger Level 2 - 32A & 16A - 240V 25' Cord, 14-50 Plug, 6-times faster! | eBay

EV Level 2 Car Charging Station 32A, 240VAC, 7.7Kw
J1772 plug with 25-foot Cable to car
Great for Electric vehicles and Plug-in Hybrids alike
Includes 4-foot Power Cable & NEMA 14-50 Plug
Can be easily hard-wired
Charges 6 times faster than basic car chargers! [Note I don't know what this is based on unless it is some cars shipped L1 120v chargers at lower amps like 8 or whatever]
Best car charging station for the lowest price in its class!
It works with all electric and hybrid vehicles on the road today. Uses universal J1772 plug.

This EVSE charge station comes with:
A 32-amp 25-foot vehicle cable with J1772 Plug
6" x 6" x 4" NEMA enclosure for weather-proof and water-resistant usage
Includes 4 heavy duty mounting tabs
Use for Hard-wire mount or use power cable with NEMA plug

Product Description
The EV POWER PLUG product is ready to work with all EVs on the road today.
For the smart buyer this is a great deal!!!!
Internal configuration Options allows Max Amps to be set to 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, or 32 Amps!
If your car uses a J1772 plug then this is the charge station you need!
The EV POWER PLUG station is just 6" x 6" x 4" and weighs about 15lbs with cable/plug.
NEMA Indoor and Outdoor rated
Ready to ship!
3-YEAR WARRANTY parts and labor for any product defects. Warranty does not cover uninstall/reinstall expenses.