Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited mile battery warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
  • Battery warranty: 8 year, 100,000 mile (120,000 mile with Long Range Battery)
Press Kit | Tesla Canada

No mention of drive units, so they must fall under the 4/50k warranty. I am guessing this is a cost cutting measure, but it also might speak to their confidence on battery longevity.

I know battery replacements are not unheard of for S's and it will be interesting to see how that trend plays out as the cars start getting older than 8 years.

No mention of drive units, so they must fall under the 4/50k warranty. I am guessing this is a cost cutting measure, but it also might speak to their confidence on battery longevity.

I think it's just a matter of having 500,000 cars on the road, potentially millions soon, versus 200,000 high end cars we have now. From a business standpoint, even if you're very confident in your technology, it just doesn't make sense to bet the farm when nobody else in the industry comes close to that kind of coverage and you've already proven your technology as being superior. As the owner of an older S (I can't believe we can say that) I'm sure you'd be able to attest to it's impressive battery degradation. I know my A-pack 2013 charged to 257 miles with 47,000 miles on it and that was low for cars with similar miles. That represents 3% degradation on a 4 year old car with the first generation battery pack. Impressive by anyone's standards, especially compared to cars like the Leaf.

Reactions: Az_Rael
I think the drive units reliability is the bigger concern here.

Elon Musk: "If we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that."

Last edited:
While the announced battery warranty surely limits Tesla's exposure, it does not really instill confidence based off all the model S data. It tells me that either the new higher energy density cells are worse, long term or they don't know. Either way, I am now more concerned about the future costs of a LR battery replacement at 150k miles than before :(

Reactions: go2realize
I think the drive units reliability is the bigger concern here.

Elon Musk: "If we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that."
Agreed.

Many non-luxury automakers include a 5 year/60K powertrain warranty. Many luxury brands add on a year and 10K miles to that vs. their non-luxury brand. Warranty and Roadside Assistance Coverage -- Edmunds Auto Warranty Tips has a table.

While the announced battery warranty surely limits Tesla's exposure, it does not really instill confidence based off all the model S data. It tells me that either the new higher energy density cells are worse, long term or they don't know. Either way, I am now more concerned about the future costs of a LR battery replacement at 150k miles than before :(

Either that or Tesla thinks people are going to take less good care of the battery in a $35k car than they would in a $100k car.

You don't need to "take good care" of S or X battery. Only thing to do, is not to charge it to 100% if not necessary.

And do shallow charges - which is very important to Lithium Ion longevity. A lot of us try to remain in the 40% to 70% range for daily driving.

Can't imagine most people doing that with a Model 3. For starters - more people will own it who don't have a home charging spot and they will deep charge every few days instead.

And do shallow charges - which is very important to Lithium Ion longevity. A lot of us try to remain in the 40% to 70% range for daily driving.

Can't imagine most people doing that with a Model 3. For starters - more people will own it who don't have a home charging spot and they will deep charge every few days instead.

Regarding battery warranty, that is not relevant, because Tesla battery warranty doesn't cover normal range loss.

OOC, what's optimal for battery lifespan? My experience with consumer-grade li-ion cells is that max lifespan is when you hold your discharges to something like the 40-70% charge range (for a 30% discharge). That is, keep the average a bit over 50%.

• Battery warranty: 8 year, 100,000 mile (120,000 mile with Long Range Battery)
Press Kit | Tesla Canada

Maybe rather than looking at incomplete press data you should look at the actual warranty page: Vehicle Warranty

Or the warranty itself: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Your vehicle is protected by a New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 4 years or 80,000 km, whichever comes first. The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:

• Model S and Model X – 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015, which is covered for a period of 8 years or 200,000 km, whichever comes first).
  • Model 3 - 8 years or 160,000 km, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
  • Model 3 with Long-Range Battery - 8 years or 192,000 km, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
So with an SR+ which gets a realistic 200 mi range in many real world situations (hills, wind, speed, temp, heaters) you’d only be utilizing 60 miles of range. I don’t think that will be typical.

Sure it is, the typical driver averages far less than that (around 37 miles daily). You can always charge it up more if needed. But keeping it between 40-70% SOC is very conservative behavior for those who don't need the range and want to leverage that into even less battery wear. In practice, you can just use it however you need to use it.

Maybe rather than looking at incomplete press data you should look at the actual warranty page: Vehicle Warranty

Or the warranty itself: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf
Those may (very likely) not have existed and been available to the public when the OP posted on July 28, 2017, the day this happened: Tesla just delivered the first round of Model 3s to the first 30 folks, all Tesla internal people.

Notice that someone else wrote this on Aug 3, 2017?
Battery Warranty not unlimited miles?

1st deliveries to real customers didn't happen until Dec 2017: 1st Tesla Model 3 Delivery To Regular Customer (Detailed Walkthrough Video) | CleanTechnica.

Tesla Model 3 Battery Warranty Includes 70% Retention Guarantee got started on Dec 21, 2017. Tesla releases Model 3 warranty with new 70% battery capacity retention guarantee - Electrek was published Dec 20, 2017
"As Tesla is starting regular Model 3 deliveries this week, the company released the full warranty document for its new electric vehicle."

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna