Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited power drivetrain on delivery day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a big delivery day BOOM for me...

My delivery is today (home delivery), and just ten minutes after the "your vehicle is on its way to <my home address>" message, I received another message from my delivery driver saying that he saw a warning message of "limited power to the drivetrain", thus, he has to drive it back for inspection.

I was later being told that they have to cancel the delivery today because "We won’t know the potential severity until fully diagnosed".

This sounds like a serious issue with my new vehicle. Same thing/error happened to any of you guys before? Is that a critical concern which I should consider refuse delivery?

Thanks, 🙏

The vehicle is M3LR Red/Aero 167XXX with AMD Ryzen (confirmed by phone only)

Hmm....

I will start by saying, I am sure tesla can diagnose the issue. I have no idea on the criticality of the issue, it could be simple, it could not be simple. With all of that said, if this was my car, and i had not paid for it yet / it was not titled in my name, and I had the ability to wait for another car, I likely would.

This would likely delay delivery by "some time" and the car would go back into the queue. In the US, that would not be a super long delay . I have no idea how long it will be for you if you delay it in Japan. If it was a couple more weeks or less, I think I would ask for another one if I had not paid for that one yet (in other words, refuse delivery).

Thats not because I think they cant fix it, its because I am a pretty "risk averse" person when it comes to this type of thing. I would be very polite, but I would likely refuse delivery.

Ganbatte, Dickyt-san.

Reactions: tm1v2
Hmm....

I will start by saying, I am sure tesla can diagnose the issue. I have no idea on the criticality of the issue, it could be simple, it could not be simple. With all of that said, if this was my car, and i had not paid for it yet / it was not titled in my name, and I had the ability to wait for another car, I likely would.

This would likely delay delivery by "some time" and the car would go back into the queue. In the US, that would not be a super long delay . I have no idea how long it will be for you if you delay it in Japan. If it was a couple more weeks or less, I think I would ask for another one if I had not paid for that one yet (in other words, refuse delivery).

Thats not because I think they cant fix it, its because I am a pretty "risk averse" person when it comes to this type of thing. I would be very polite, but I would likely refuse delivery.

Ganbatte, Dickyt-san.
Thank you so much!!!!!

Just got back from the SA and they identified the issue and was a sensor or something, not the motor itself. I already paid everything and my loan has been finalized.

My delivery got pushed back to Saturday. I need the car but I think I will take a careful inspection, if other checklist items are also bad, I plan to unassigned and wait for a new one.

I called Tesla using another phone number and use my friend's RN to ask them, and was told I need to wait at lease 1 month for LR, because mine is red and it is rare…

This is unfortunate 😹 if not because of chip shortage I surely will unassign and wait.

Thanks again for your reply!

Let us know what the resolution is. If you were in the USA, tesla would just shrug their shoulders at you and say "sorry", but I suspect (but dont know) that Tesla in Japan may operate a bit more customer service friendly than that.

I hope they do something to compensate you for the time.

Let us know what the resolution is. If you were in the USA, tesla would just shrug their shoulders at you and say "sorry", but I suspect (but dont know) that Tesla in Japan may operate a bit more customer service friendly than that.

I hope they do something to compensate you for the time.
I did mentioned this today, and let’s see what’s the outcome on Monday. They have a good attitude at least.

If they can offer me Uber credit or loaner vehicle until the vehicle is fixed, then plus a lifetime FSD or something like 10k supercharging miles I will be happy.

I called my bank and asked about the loan modification and was told the process is complex, and I can’t get the discount rate, and …, anyway it is not the way I wanna go.

If this happened in Japan, what do you think the customer service team would do?

I did mentioned this today, and let’s see what’s the outcome on Monday. They have a good attitude at least.

If they can offer me Uber credit or loaner vehicle until the vehicle is fixed, then plus a lifetime FSD or something like 10k supercharging miles I will be happy.

I called my bank and asked about the loan modification and was told the process is complex, and I can’t get the discount rate, and …, anyway it is not the way I wanna go.

If this happened in Japan, what do you think the customer service team would do?

I dont know, but my experience when I was in Japan for my sabbatical (which was several years ago now), was that in general, customer service was much (much) better than we experience in the US. Its appeared to be much more a cultural norm, so to speak. I dont think you would be able to get "FSD for life" or anything like that, even there.

I think I would ask for them to make my first loan payment, since I didnt have the use of my car ( that seems like a very reasonable request, both there and here). I think you did the right thing by reaching out to the local tesla store manager. You are going to want to ask for things they can somewhat easily do, at least in my opinion.

Things like asking for a free wall connector, or maybe covering your first payment. Giving you FSD (current us value of $12,000 US dollars) isnt going to happen, at least I dont think so.

Hello all, local tesla team is still dodging on this, and I refused my VIN and now the new EDD is Feb 16-20. I was also told my order will be on a priority list, but the EDD was not an exact estimation because my order will be placed on hold until 16, to prevent re-matching the same VIN. Let's see what happens.

Also called DCU and they seem allowing me to keep the loan as long as tesla delivers my vehicle within 45 days of initial approval day. Hopefully my new car will come soon!

if you guys have been around here long enough you should know the edds change like the weather. tomorrow you may wake up and see an entirely different edd. these cars are in demand and its tax season so demand is high. all of us are experiencing delays more so than others but it happens. its sucks for sure.

if you guys have been around here long enough you should know the edds change like the weather. tomorrow you may wake up and see an entirely different edd. these cars are in demand and its tax season so demand is high. all of us are experiencing delays more so than others but it happens. its sucks for sure.
You are right…wake up with a new 180 VIN, really surprised 🤣