Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited regen at 90% SoC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed, when I charged my car to 90% recently, the regen seemed to be limited to about 30 kW. There was no warning or dashed line on the IC, like I'm used to seeing with the occasional range charge. It was a bit disconcerting, as I wasn't expecting it, and at that limit, going 50-60 MPH, the car seems to barely decelerate. As the car slows down, though, it becomes apparent that regen is working. By the time I drove my car, it was probably a little below 90% due to vampire drain. By the time it got closer to 80%, the regen had recovered to about 60 kW.

The car is parked overnight in my garage in San Diego, so I'm pretty sure the battery pack wasn't cold soaked.

I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or not. I don't recall this happening in the past, but I usually charge to 80%. It's not like I have never charged to 90%.

This is a 60 kWh pack (2013 Model S).

I noticed, when I charged my car to 90% recently, the regen seemed to be limited to about 30 kW. There was no warning or dashed line on the IC, like I'm used to seeing with the occasional range charge. It was a bit disconcerting, as I wasn't expecting it, and at that limit, going 50-60 MPH, the car seems to barely decelerate. As the car slows down, though, it becomes apparent that regen is working. By the time I drove my car, it was probably a little below 90% due to vampire drain. By the time it got closer to 80%, the regen had recovered to about 60 kW.

The car is parked overnight in my garage in San Diego, so I'm pretty sure the battery pack wasn't cold soaked.

I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or not. I don't recall this happening in the past, but I usually charge to 80%. It's not like I have never charged to 90%.

This is a 60 kWh pack (2013 Model S).
On my 2014 s60 I get very little to no regen above ~86% SOC with the battery above the 59 degrees threshold. I’m also in Socal, it’s apparently sparked with the V9 update

On my 2014 s60 I get very little to no regen above ~86% SOC with the battery above the 59 degrees threshold. I’m also in Socal, it’s apparently sparked with the V9 update

Do you get a dashed line showing the regen limit in that case?

I'm still on V8. Unfortunately, I have no idea when this started, or if it's always been there, because I don't usually charge that high.

Have you seen the curves of how the charging power tapers down as the car gets to higher and higher states of charge at Superchargers? It's the same thing; it's still just battery charging. Full regeneration is about 60kW of power level. You would never see 60kW power at a Supercharger when you were at 90% full!

*Note* And by the way, that 30kW you saw seems right about spot-on. With the old 85 kWh packs, it was almost a straight linear rule of thumb that if you added the state of charge % and the kW power, they stayed around 125 or so, plus or minus maybe 5-ish. So 90 + 30 = 120, which is about right for following the normal charge tapering.

Have you seen the curves of how the charging power tapers down as the car gets to higher and higher states of charge at Superchargers? It's the same thing; it's still just battery charging. Full regeneration is about 60kW of power level. You would never see 60kW power at a Supercharger when you were at 90% full!

*Note* And by the way, that 30kW you saw seems right about spot-on. With the old 85 kWh packs, it was almost a straight linear rule of thumb that if you added the state of charge % and the kW power, they stayed around 125 or so, plus or minus maybe 5-ish. So 90 + 30 = 120, which is about right for following the normal charge tapering.

Ok, so normal. Weird that I've never noticed it before. And it seems like there really should be some sort of notification on the display.