Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited Regen observation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one of those Model S 85D 2015 with the software reduced supercharging/regen. Previously below 12C, regen was reduced, but I would see the regen restore itself to full ability after a few minutes of driving. Some of us have noticed the regen reduction more pronounced for longer periods post update.
So my concern is yesterday, car reads ambient temperature of 20C, SOC is about 50 percent, displayed 50 percent reduction in regen, and does not restore until 15 minutes of city driving home from work. I can't say I have ever seen this reduction at such a warm ambient temperature.
Make me wonder why the pack can't actively heat itself to restore regen, I would gladly give up a few kms of range to prioritize driving performance.
Co-owners of this model will sympathise having to drive with the energy screen on just to be aware of regen reduction.

I have one of those Model S 85D 2015 with the software reduced supercharging/regen. Previously below 12C, regen was reduced, but I would see the regen restore itself to full ability after a few minutes of driving. Some of us have noticed the regen reduction more pronounced for longer periods post update.
So my concern is yesterday, car reads ambient temperature of 20C, SOC is about 50 percent, displayed 50 percent reduction in regen, and does not restore until 15 minutes of city driving home from work. I can't say I have ever seen this reduction at such a warm ambient temperature.
Make me wonder why the pack can't actively heat itself to restore regen, I would gladly give up a few kms of range to prioritize driving performance.
Co-owners of this model will sympathise having to drive with the energy screen on just to be aware of regen reduction.
When its cold - less than 15 Celsius, I pre-heat the car for 30 mins (while its still plugged in) and I get 100% regen. Yes its not exactly convenient, but I would rather have that inconvenience than not having full regen. I have a 2016 75D and this behaviour (full regen not available started with an update back in October last year).

Two more observations to add. Actively charging the car right up to departure in an insulated garage does not negate reduced regeneration like it used to. Secondly, I went to precool the interior while I left work to walk to the car, the AC was set to 21C and the climate screen showed a little red battery in the upper right corner (a preheating indicator?) while the interior was actively being cooled.