Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

limited regenerative charging (not cold, not fully charged)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2015 Model S. Example of problem. It is 60 degrees outside. The car is only 50% charged. The regenerative charging shows yellow dashes. Even starting at a high speed it charging is limited to only 20-25 wh. Everything I read says the problem is that its cold or fully charged. What else could cause this? Thank you

We have a 2015 Model S. Example of problem. It is 60 degrees outside. The car is only 50% charged. The regenerative charging shows yellow dashes. Even starting at a high speed it charging is limited to only 20-25 wh. Everything I read says the problem is that its cold or fully charged. What else could cause this? Thank you
One thing for sure, I never claim to be smart. I do appreciate all the feedback but... It has been happening all summer also. I can't believe the batteries are colder than the outside air when it's 50-80 degrees outside. It doesn't only happen in the morning, and it is still happening at 4PM after driving for an hour. The batteries are not cold soaked. If I plugged it in all night that might help warm the batteries, but then it wouldn't regen fully because I would be driving on a full charge. Any additional thoughts that do no have to do with cold batteries?

Upvote 0
That's one thing I've noticed about my SR+3....the battery seems a lot more sensitive to temperature (WRT regen braking) than my previous Chevy Bolt. The Bolt, unless it was sub-freezing overnight and unplugged, almost never had reduced regen braking alerts, but in the 3 I have then almost daily these days (even if the temperatures are a relatively mild 50F). Guess the battery chemistry is just more sensitive to temperatures than the Bolt's.

Upvote 0
I have the same iss
One thing for sure, I never claim to be smart. I do appreciate all the feedback but... It has been happening all summer also. I can't believe the batteries are colder than the outside air when it's 50-80 degrees outside. It doesn't only happen in the morning, and it is still happening at 4PM after driving for an hour. The batteries are not cold soaked. If I plugged it in all night that might help warm the batteries, but then it wouldn't regen fully because I would be driving on a full charge. Any additional thoughts that do no have to do with cold batteries?
I agree with you 100%. This is not due to the battery being too cold. I have two Model S's manufactured within 1 year of each other. One is always restricting regen and the other is not. I'm wondering if the battery heater needs to be replaced. I know that there are several heating elements in the PTC Cabin Heater and when some of the elements go out, the car does not fully warm up. It may be the same with the battery heater.

Upvote 0