TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Limited replacement tire options for the 19s?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Stellavator, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Stellavator

Stellavator Member

Just looked at Tire Rack to see what tire options there are for the 19s when it's time to replace. I REALLY like the Conti Extreme Contact DWS I've got on my 335d. Turns out there are very few tire options in the 235/40-19 size, including no Conti Extreme. Is this an odd size? Should I get the 18s so I have more tire options? I don't like the dark wheels with the MSM paint I selected.

2. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

You could put 245/40R19 tires on it. They're only 0.3" more in diameter.

3. Stellavator

Stellavator Member

Wouldn't a 245 need a wider rim? Flared fender? Pardon my tire ignorance. Ive only ever replaced tires with the exact size I was taking off.

4. MarkinArch

MarkinArch 1st S.A.TX Non Owner TM3 Delivery

I was thinking of putting 245's on when the time comes to help push the tire past the rim and maybe avoid some minor curb scrapes when parking. Not sure .3" will do enough though. I haven't checked tire rack but I was hoping to replace mine with Pilot SuperSports.

5. MarkinArch

MarkinArch 1st S.A.TX Non Owner TM3 Delivery

Short answer - No, you will be fine. I think there are some people already running 265's.

I had Continental ExtremeContact DW on my Audi but they started to scallop on the edges and had a TON of road noise. They were super grippy though. Do your DWS on the 335d have similar issues? Before I purchase tires that a more performance oriented I want to see some real world data regarding range loss to see if it would be worth it for me.

• Informative x 1
  6. Stellavator

Stellavator Member

Yes, some scalloping and road noise, but not terrible. I like the grip, and I live in NC, and keep the same tires on all year. They have amazing snow/sleet performance. The Ultra High Performance All Weather is a good category tire for my needs.

I'd be curious to see and hear about what others are putting on their 19s.

7. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

Nope, as said above people are fitting 265 width tires. 8.5" is within the recommended (8-9.5") range: ExtremeContact DWS - 245/40R19 98Y | Continental

8. D3xDt3Reaction

On a related note, I assume the 20” wheels on the P could go from 235/35R20 to 245/35R20 without any issue, correct?

9. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

I would assume so. I don't want to be responsible for anyone ripping out their fender liners though :D

10. gilscales

gilscales Member

I had a 2013 VW Passat TDI that came stock with 235/45/18's and I made the change to 245/45/18's, best thing I did as tires had a higher load range so car just handled better, less sidewall rolling in corners and gained .2" sidewall height so it was just a tad more comfortable as well, did not notice a hit in mpg.

When my OEM tires wear out (already at 6,200 miles in 2 months) I will be replacing with pilot 4S in 245/40/19

11. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

If treadwear maximization is your thing, i.e. maximum miles per set of tires, then consider either the existing Tesla OEM 19” Michelin Primacy MXM4 or even the Pirelli Cinturato.

That said, I keep hearing good things about Continentals and may well try a set if there’s no appreciable benefit from the Pirellis over the Michelins - both in terms of longevity and particularly in terms of noisiness during the last third of their lives.

12. Stellavator

Stellavator Member

So with any tire size change, you will get some total diameter change. How much depending on the final configuration, of course.

Is the difference in actual to measured MPH significant enough to pay attention to? In an EV in particular, how does the different total tire diameter affect power/mileage/efficiency calculations?

I also read there could be effects on ABS and Traction control behavior with different sized tires. Is this relevant for the small change in diameter we are talking about here, or is it only an issue with big changes?

One final question. With the 3 stock configurations offered from Tesla, the total tire diameter cannot be exactly the same. Do the 3 individual configurations have associated programming in the car for calculations, or do they just accept the small error and program them all the same?

• Helpful x 1
  13. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

#13 TheLocNar, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    245/40/19. In fact, you'd have more tires to choose from, and they'd be more affordable too given the more common size.

14. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

The 0.15" radius change going from 235 to 245 is less than the tread depth of the tires. I wouldn't worry about it.

15. gilscales

gilscales Member

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

These are my 2 choice for this tire size, one is max performance and the other is max tread life and comfort, both are LRR (low rolling resistance) tires, I'm sure there are many other good choices out there but these would be mine.

16. gilscales

gilscales Member

Wheel Offset Calculator

This is a handy calculator to show the minimal difference in tire size

Larger tire size is only 1.1% larger so well within normal wear on a tires tread as going from 10/32" to 3/32" (new to needing replacement) would change the tire diameter more that 1.1%

• Like x 1