Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited Time: 100 kWh Battery Upgrade (S/X), Ludicrous+ Capable, 2 Year Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed it now... but, a bit late.
@wk057 Can I get your opinion on the recent software change to run the pack (atleast in my Model S warrantied 90 pack) at 110*F ? The car keeps the radiator bypassed until the motor waste heat raises the pack to this temp. I suspect this temp could shorten the pack life.

Can a Rooted User lower the Passive Cooling Target? Or could you roll-back my software to an earlier version? My other idea is to unplug the Radiator Bypass Valve after it enables the radiator loop, so the radiator is always-enabled (but that wouldn't help long road trips.)

And here it is:

There's still a few bugs to work out, but good enough for now.

Already have a handful of upgrades scheduled thanks to the upgrade price estimate site!

Funny enough, we actually ended up with a reasonably good condition v2 90 pack that I was going to post for sale here... then today someone put in an order for a normal priced 70->90 upgrade. I spotted that before they paid the invoice and just added the discount to it..... and, well I actually just ended up confusing the heck out of the customer. 😂 But they're happy now. :cool:

The target is really that we don't make any more on, for example, a 70 to 100 upgrade than we do for a 70 to 75 upgrade. The pricing is built to reflect actual costs + labor/supplies. Our core business is selling batteries, and... well we're selling batteries. 😜

Sadly, if things keep going where they're going, 100 upgrades are likely to get even more expensive. Prices have just been creeping upward all around on them. Going to leave the pricing as-is for the time being on the configurators, but if they start costing us significantly more we'll have to incorporate those adjustments.

Sadly, if things keep going where they're going, 100 upgrades are likely to get even more expensive. Prices have just been creeping upward all around on them. Going to leave the pricing as-is for the time being on the configurators, but if they start costing us significantly more we'll have to incorporate those adjustments.
Yeah, I would expect that to be the case. As packs fail, or are taken out of commission by accidents, the pool of available packs is getting smaller every day. Is Tesla even making any packs compatible with the older Model S/X anymore? (Can you put the new 5 module refresh pack in a "legacy" S/X?)

Yeah, I would expect that to be the case. As packs fail, or are taken out of commission by accidents, the pool of available packs is getting smaller every day. Is Tesla even making any packs compatible with the older Model S/X anymore? (Can you put the new 5 module refresh pack in a "legacy" S/X?)

It's a weird situation from what I can tell.

My understanding of the situation on Tesla's side is this: The S/X module production lines were doing double duty making S/X 100-type modules as well as Powerwall/Powerpack modules, and now they're fully Powerwall/Powerpack... however, they can still switch gears and make S/X 100-type modules any time they want to without any real slowdown, and have done so for batches of the new 14-module 350V packs. I'd have to guess they can also just make 16 module pack batches if needed.

As for the new packs, they're not really physically compatible, and electrically the voltage is too high for the original S/X.

We do have a project for making Model 3 modules work in a modified S/X pack enclosure, but I'm not 100% sure this is something that will ever be customer-ready.

For now, our focus is on getting our custom replacement pack ready for prime time. This way you can actually get a mostly new pack (all the parts that matter, anyway) as a replacement/upgrade if desired, even though it's non-OEM. Still quite the road ahead to make it production ready and worthy of putting in a customer vehicle long term, but we're working hard to get there. The main issue in keeping costs down on this is going to be volume. We're trying to keep this completely in-house funded, but the way everything seems to be going we're more likely going to need an investment capital injection at some point to get this pushed over the finish line. Making one is expensive. Making 100+ should put pricing closer to Tesla's refurbished pack prices... but I don't really have a couple million bucks sitting around collecting dust anywhere, sadly. (I mean, if anyone here does, though... let me know. 😜 )

It would depend on where, but generally in the $1500-2000 each way range. (Funny enough, to/from Europe can be cheaper than to/from California at times.)
Any chance for a 057 EU partner in future? (which will do the actual installation or even apply your offered upgrades?)
Esp. the Battery Service Plan sounds great as my warranty ends next year but yeah, shipping/import/installation costs will kill the deal 🤐

Last edited:
Any chance for a 057 EU partner in future? (which will do the actual installation or even apply your offered upgrades?)
Esp. the Battery Service Plan sounds great as my warranty ends next year but yeah, shipping/import/installation costs will kill the deal 🤐
Yes, I'd also much appreciate such support in EU including the "extended warranty program"... + I'm also kind of looking for a 100kWh pack for my 85D and couldn't find any for a reasonable price.. And finally, I'd love to work in such service center as I'm big ev+solar enthusiast, that would be a dream job :)

Keeping an eye on this as my X 90D might one day like a fresh battery. I remembered there was an article about upgrading to a 100 battery being discouraged due to non-obvious safety issues, so I looked that up. What’s the take on that?

Keeping an eye on this as my X 90D might one day like a fresh battery. I remembered there was an article about upgrading to a 100 battery being discouraged due to non-obvious safety issues, so I looked that up. What’s the take on that?

Complete BS. Have posted about this many times. There were zero chassis changes and zero restraint system changes (hardware or software) done to vehicles with 100 kWh packs.

I've personally done quite a few upgrades to 100 kWh packs for folks to-date, many for folks right here on this forum.

Complete BS. Have posted about this many times. There were zero chassis changes and zero restraint system changes (hardware or software) done to vehicles with 100 kWh packs.

I've personally done quite a few upgrades to 100 kWh packs for folks to-date, many for folks right here on this forum.
Great to know. I haven’t followed the subject too well as is obvious from my post. Thanks for clarifying!

Reactions: wk057
I have a Tesla 90D Model S, December 2016. I did the MCU2 upgrade. I have coil suspension.

@wk057, you said in a previous post that to have the 2 year warranty, the suspension needed to be upgraded.

I have 2 questions, can a 100kw replacement pack be installed in my car? What would be the cost to upgrade the suspension?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Are you looking into Long Range/Plaid packs compatibility with Legacy S or is that a totally different architecture?
We can make everything S/X pre-plaid compatible with everything S/X pre-plaid, more or less. Plaid is entirely different, as is 3/Y. We'll get there, but not much incentive at the moment given the long warranties.

Do you upgrade the to the rapid splitter for ludicrous if it’s a 2015 or below?
When doing an upgrade on a car capable of a Ludicrous upgrade to a pack capable of Ludicrous, we can make the needed changes to do this (which vary by vehicle).

any more like this?

This particular deal is likely never going to happen again. However, we pretty regularly do upgrades on S/X vehicles these days. Instant quotes at Upgrade Your Tesla | 057 Technology

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
When doing an upgrade on a car capable of a Ludicrous upgrade to a pack capable of Ludicrous, we can make the needed changes to do this (which vary by vehicle).

This particular deal is likely never going to happen again. However, we pretty regularly do upgrades on S/X vehicles these days. Instant quotes at Upgrade Your Tesla | 057 Technology
I'm looking into upgrading my 85d to 100D using your company. However I've seen that suspension needs to be upgraded as well because I have the coil suspension. However I don't see on your site for that upgrade. Do you still offer it and what is the cost?

I'm looking into upgrading my 85d to 100D using your company. However I've seen that suspension needs to be upgraded as well because I have the coil suspension. However I don't see on your site for that upgrade. Do you still offer it and what is the cost?
The upgrades site should be including any ancillary updates needed, such as suspension, in the upgrade cost.

@wk057 would it be possible to have a short chat (I know you get swamped by PMs and if I initiate it would get lost)? Found locally a 100 pack for an amazing price and was wondering if there is a way to test it before committing to it. As well, what would be the market value for a 85 pack with 73kWh nominal remaining? Thank you!