TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Limited Time Supercharger Activation Discount

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Tacket, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Tacket

Tacket Member

Looks like Tesla is offering for a limited time $2k SC activation:

To celebrate the opening of new supercharging stations, Tesla is offering the supercharging upgrade post delivery for only $2,000 for a limited time!

Doh! Just activated mine 09/17 - maybe I can get grandfathered in :p

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Upgrade to Supercharging post-delivery for $2,000

Don't know if this has been posted before
    Shop Tesla Gear Enable Supercharging

Looks like Tesla is letting people who already took delivery of the 60kWh cars upgrade for $2,000 instead of $2,500 for a limited time.

3. texex91

texex91 Banned

What do they do for $2k? Is it all software related? If so $2K is a lot of electricity.

4. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

It's software yes and you basically buy an access license to the supercharger network for life. Probably the funds are used to extend the network. So you are paying the construction fee in a distributed way between all users.

5. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Glad we got the 85kw battery! That extra $10k is a good deal when you break it down.

6. kmporter

kmporter Member

Glad I saw this. I was planning on activating it later this year anyway. Just saved $500.

7. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

60s without supercharging can add it for $500 off

Temporarily Tesla has dropped the upgrade price from $2,500 to $2,000. Hadn't see this elsewhere yet!

Shop Tesla Gear Enable Supercharging

I went for it; now superchargers exist in my locale where there were none when I ordered the car.

8. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

DOH!

*see my Sig below

9. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

They installed all the supercharger hardware in the car whether you configured for it or not, effectively eating the cost at build time. Their assumption is that people will see the light and pay for this hardware (and the free charging) after the fact. Worked for me!

10. Tacket

Tacket Member

@Btrflyl83 : You might contact them and see if you can be grandparented in - I wrote them and they are looking into it for me, although my activation look place 09/17, so a little closer to the announcement. I'll post here with any updates regarding that.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Spoken like someone who never pays for software or fees for the server infrastructure for clouds.

12. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

True you could replace that with paying an RV park for hours of charging but you pay for speed and hopefully availability of Supercharging while traveling. Each group of chargers costs Tesla at least $150,000 so that fee helps pay for that as well.

13. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Let us know the outcome, if you're successful I will try. Otherwise, I will still consider it my $500 mistake when I configured. I didn't believe enough that the network would really happen. Silly girl.

My employer reimburses $3,000 for the purchase of a low carbon emission vehicle and I already received that so... I considered myself up by $500. (I had completely forgotten about that program, so it did not factor into my purchase decision)

14. texex91

texex91 Banned

#14 texex91, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    You have to pay for those? Last time I was in overseas, I paid $10 for MS Office, does that count :biggrin:

NICE! Would expect that in CA, but FL, very cool!

Sadly in Texas most employers would consider a diesel pick-up a 'low emission vehicle' :wink:

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Kind of my point. When people underpay (legally or otherwise) for the work of others, their notion of the worth of things gets skewed.

16. Jeddi

Jeddi Member

I assumed it was free for all MS owners. So just to confirm only 85's get them access to the super chargers for free? Is it for life?

17. texex91

texex91 Banned

Psst...here take this. Chill pill. I was just kidding, you made it too easy.

18. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Yes and yes.

19. Jeddi

Jeddi Member

#19 Jeddi, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    I didn't know that.... so yet another reason for me to be very happy with deciding to go with P85+!

20. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I hope I do not come across the wrong way with this comment, but do you not get his sarcasm? I have read a lot of posts over the last couple of months, and you are certainly one of, if not the biggest contributor on TMC (Thanks for that BTW). That being said, I have seen a number of examples where your reply to someone who says something in jest either indicates you
    A: Do not get the joke.
    B: Get the joke, but do not want to acknowledge it in fear it will encourage others to try and be humorous.
    C: Get the joke, and have such a dry sense of humor that you are replying with your own joke that I am too dumb to understand.

What am I missing? I am a newbie here, so maybe I am just totally missing your intentions with your responses.